• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is This On The Up And Up? Military Family Website

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Just because I'm a suspicious guy [occupational hazard ;)]I would like some input on this site that was brought to my attention from an email making the Ontario Govt. rounds.

http://firmm.ca/home_f.html

[most notably the calender for sale]

I did hear on the news the other day, either CTV or CBC, that there was a group selling calendars in memory of the fallen.  However, this is the first time I saw the website.  I cannot vouch for the authenity of the website or its motives

There is a phone number written on the membership registration form - if you get really suspicious you can always try to call that number. 

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=9d6b41ed-c8cf-426d-a3c8-cc1a223b41a7
Military families form bond
Katy Anderson, Calgary Herald
Published: Monday, October 20, 2008
A group of Calgarian military families who came together to remember loved ones killed in Afghanistan have made the bond official.

Since starting Families in Remembrance of Military Members, the organization has grown to include 38 Canadian families from B.C. to Newfoundland.

Shane Keating, whose nephew by the same name was killed in Afghanistan, said FIRMM is about the ability for families to connect, share stories and support each other while dealing with their loss.
More on link

Using 411.ca, confirms the phone number and address that are advertised on the web site and in the news article. The order form does not collect GST or PST and no business tax number is listed on the website. It looks like a home based business IMO.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
[most notably the calender for sale]

I assume you're questioning the use of images of various deceased members and if permission was sought by all the families affected.

Having a valid phone and mailing address does a lot for credibility...

I read some more about the calenders.
Any funds raised from this calendar will be distributed under the guidance of families from across Canada in a manner that is fitting of the price our family members and our families have paid for all Canadians.
What does this mean, that the families ( that have had loved ones killed ) will decide on where and to whom the funds are dispersed to?.

Don't non profit organisations usually say where funds collected will be used for?

To add Link: http://firmm.ca/about_f.html

Who else has ordered a calendar?  CBC had a mention of the calendars on a news program, and I've seen a few over the Christmas holidays.  I've ordered one for myself, as well as one for my parents.  Is anyone else ordering one (or more)?

These calendars are being sold at the Canex Windsor Park for 20 dollars.

They are legit and of a high quality.

Back