• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Int Op or Int Officer

• Thread starter Thread starter Vairauniqua
  • Start date Start date
V

Vairauniqua

Hi! I am actually looking for some information and I'm doing my best to get it from every perspectives. I am currently a SigOp with already2 years completed in my first contract. I found out about the Int trade and it really interrests me. But I am wondering if i'd be better going IntOp or IntOfficer. I just didn't have the time to call a BPSO because I'm on EX but if I could get some opinions here it would be nice.

Thank you! ;)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/23892.from1105282714/topicseen.html#new
Try here.

I'm an INT Op. with 3 INT Coy. in halifax and from my experience so far with the unit I found the only difference between INT Op. (R111), and INT (R82) is officers receive additional officer training in leadership and usually take their training up to QL4 (mabye QL5) all at once up at CFSMI in borden, where as with us reservists we usually do our SQ and QL3 one summer and QL4 the next, no word yet on if we will be getting our QL5, right now only reg. force and a few select reservists have it.

Int QL3 and QL4 are the reserve version of the reg force QL5, but with land force only. Last I've heard is that the school is considering changing the QL3/QL4 into a reserve QL5 (I suppose with the new OpFor), but don't have any details or confirmation.

Plus officers get to do the actual analytical work.....some Int Ops get to do this as well, but not a lot as far as I know.....there are a lot of collators, etc....you have to think about what you want to delve into, what part of intelligence interests you the most, then decide based upon that.

Thank you all for answering me. Right now, I am trying to get some courses at the university and I want to take an appointment with the BPSO to see how I should do this. My only concern is... if I do a degree at the university.. can it be of any subject?? ???

For Int Work, probably, as CSIS does not have very specific requirements except for very specific postings (Ie Middle East requires Arabic, other langauges, etc).

Could be wrong though....  check with the BPSO.

If int is interesting u then perhaps your course of study would be along the same lines.....international relations, RMC (military major)  I know that for the UTPNCM program there is a specific list of approved courses.  BPSO should have that.  I know I have a link at work but I am on course (in field) until thurs at earliest.  I'll post it when I get it.  Or try looking that up on google "UTPNCM"  might be there never know!

Keeping in mind that the CF Int Branch and CSIS are two different beasts, when I was talking to CSIS recruiters, they prefer more rounded people as opposed to people who specialized in certain areas. Myself being an Engineer by schooling, they said that's a rather specific degree which could be detrimental, however my service in a CF Int Coy, as well as my extra-curricular pursuits would offset that...

Regarding what the specific differences between the reg force Officer and NCM positions are in the CF Int Branch, your best bet is to talk to reg force members currently serving in Int, since no one else will be able to fully answer that. I know that there are a couple lurking on this board. Comming from the Int side I haven't worked too much with the regs, only while I was doing my Int training. Things are a bit different in the reserve neck of the woods.

There is a canforgen on UTPNCM somewhere that lists appropriate degrees for different officer classifications. I know geography, history, and political science are good degrees and applicable to the int branch.

Hey Roko, whats this you were saying about a reserve QL5? Can you rate your source?

Cheers,

:dontpanic:
J.M.

The Int Officer people I know all seem to have a history or poli sci degree.  UT is the way to go if you can get.

:cdn:

Here is the UTPNCM association link.

http://utpncm.rmcclub.ca/Public/home_e.html

Check education requirements for various Officer trades here(on the DIN).

http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dmhrr/engraph/psel/edustd_e.asp?mnu=psel

Any questions on UTPNCM program, let me know.

Check out the UT website, it has some good info.  As for my thoughts.  If you have your education req's, a good service background, some demonstrated leadership(at work, sports teams, volunteer work), and have thouroughly researched the trades you are applying for, the program is there for the taking.  It usually takes more than one application to be accepted, as they want to see that you are committed to it(but some do get accepted first time around).  Your CO's recommendations imo are the most important part of the application. 

Depending how much time you will be given to finish your degree, and what degree you take consider your trade choice wisely.  It is possible to VOR after you get in, but it gets more difficult every year, and by the fourth year there usually has to be someone in the other trade willing to do a 1 - 1 switch (ask the RO's about that one).  You can goto Civ U or RMC, its not up to you but they take it very much into consideration where you want to go, especially if you have good reasons i.e. wife's job, kids in school, sick family etc.  RMC is a good school with a good reputation on the science/engineering side, but the military focused degrees like mil studs/mil arts and science, aren't going to be as easy to sell on civvy street(but are still very respectable degrees).  I went there, and it was great.  Small classes, good profs, mostly all military related subjects (arts anyways).  Otter Sqn is great, you are left alone besides a few parades and sports events.  So for your whole time there you pretty much go to class and go home.

You cant beat the program, a relatively free eduction, while maintaining your current pay.  If you are a Mcpl or above you will graduate university and be commissioned as a Lt.  No big deal for Cpls, as you are promoted to Lt one year after commissioning (as long as you've completed Ph IV).  As for wanting to be an officer just to get the education for free, I would caution on that as if you really don't want to be one, don't do it.  To get out before your obligatory service is up if you are unhappy can get pretty expensive.  Thats all I can think of right now, any more questions, pm me.

Great.........thanks for the information.  Did u go through there as an RO or UT?  When did u graduate?

JavaMan, it's information that's been coming down to our Coy from the school with regards to the courses that our new soldiers will be loaded on this summer. The way it looks from what they've been telling us is that it'll be split over 2 summers, like many of the QL3/4s were, but will be re-named to a QL5. Appart from that I don't have any more information.

Back