• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Courses.

Dale Turner

Inactive
Reaction score
I am remustering to the infantry and will probably have to take several infantry courses to "catch myself up" . I'll need to complete BIQ for sure. Now the sticky part is that I work full time and will need to know how long these courses are in order to make the appropriate arrangements for time off etc. So can anyone tell me a) how long is BIQ?
                                                   b) is BIQ and inf QL3 the same thing?
                                                  c) what course is after BIQ or QL3?, and how long is it?

That should do me for a while. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

:salute:

a. BIQ is about 4 weeks long
b. QL3 was split into SQ and BIQ
c. Depends what you want. Most guys end up taking DP2A (C6, small arms coaching, pistols. 3 weeks) to PLQ since there's lack of QL4 courses these days.

Thanks for the reply :salute:

Good thing I've already done PLQ. Just clears the way for DP2A.

By the way are you in Cambridge or Kitchener?

Cheers.

Since you remustered from medical branch, you may have to take DP2B which some guys who had Mod6 under the old PLQ system has to take to get your master jacks.

I'm in Kitchener. I think we had this convo before. :)

You'll have to forgive me. This past training year has muted my memory.

Cheers again for the info.

;D

Duration of Infantry courses are as follows (Pres / Reg):

DP 1 Inf - 22 / 43 training days (commonly referred to as BIQ - basic Infantry Qualification) (Prerequisite: SQ)
DP 2A Inf - 14 / 27 training days (IPSW - Infantry Platoon Support Weapons Course) (Prerequisite: DP 1 Inf)
DP 2B Inf - 16 / 20 training days (Infantry Section 2 IC) (Prerequisites: IPSW & PLQ (Land) Mod 6)
PLQ Inf - 44 / 44 training days (Prerequisites: IPSW & PLQ (Land) Mods 1-5 (2-5 for PRes))

Note: DP 2B is a legacy course designed to provide top up training to those pers who went through PLQ (Land) vice PLQ (Infantry).  It will cease to run 01 Oct 05 and anyone who has not completed it at that point will have to go on the PLQ (Infantry).  They will be able to skip the Block 1 (11 training days) as it is identical to Block 1 of PLQ (Land) Mod 6.

what does PLQ stand for?

thanks for posting courses you can take after  BIQ,
i was interested in what some of the were and what they involved
;D

PLQ is the abbreviation for Primary Leadership Qualification.  It replaced the Junior Leaders/Junior NCO course a few years ago (which replaced the Combat Leaders & Infantry Section Commanders Courses).

Their are three types of PLQ currently in existence: CF, Land and Infantry.

PLQ (CF) is a 31 day course that meets the needs of the Navy and Air Force.

PLQ (Land) is what all of the army trades take.  It is delivered in 6 Modules (Mods).  The first 4 Mods can be taken in any order with Mods 5 and 6 being last.  Additionally, the candidate must be a Cpl and merit listed for Mods 5 and 6 (for reserves, merit listed normally means your CO thinks you are ready).  The Mods are as follows:
Mod 1 - 2 days - Physical Fitness (how to conduct it, not normally done by reserves mostly due to lack of pers to teach it)
Mod 2 - 8 days - Drill & Classroom (how to instruct)
Mod 3 - 2 days - Field & Range Safety (how to be an assistant RSO)
Mod 4 - 2 Days - Discipline (intro to Military Law)
Mod 5 - 7 Days - Distance Learning (more stuff to help you be a leader, normally conducted at a computer lab)
Mod 6 - 29 Days - Resident Based (go to an area training centre and do small party tasks, offensive ops, defensive ops & patrolling)

PLQ (Infantry) uses the same Mods 1-5 and prerequisites as the PLQ (Land).  It essentially replaces Mod 6.  The first part (small party tasks) is the same as PLQ (Land), the second third and fourth parts cover offensive ops, defensive ops and patrolling, but in more detail than on PLQ (Land) Mod 6.

That's PLQ in a nutshell.  Hopefully their won't be any more major changes to the leadership courses in the near future (or at least until I am posted someplace where I no longer have to keep up with the changes).

The current leadership training system is a farce at least as far as the Infantry is concerned.We need qualified Sect Comds not someone who doesn't know a damn thing about field work,the ISCC worked,bring the damn thing back.The PLQ crap is killing the units as so much time is spent on getting soldiers to and from courses and when they come back they are not equipped to do the job properly. The ISCC was the way to go,this CF wide crap is not making the grade.

Coy medic said:
I am remustering to the infantry and....

I've heard of people like you but have never actually met one.

Did you jump off a box amb and land on your head?

As a leadership qual'd medic you'll be welcome in any rifle coy.

Best of luck,

i too just remustered from the airfarce to the infantry.lol  but i was infantry before i remustered to the airfarce.lol

Krazy-P said:
i too just remustered from the airfarce to the infantry.lol   but i was infantry before i remustered to the airfarce.lol

Don't forget to get name tags with your LAST name on them  ;)

well heres the list of course to go infantry
BMQ (basic military qualification, your just remustering so forget it lol)
SQ (soldier qualification, basic section attacks, defensives, basic recce patrols)
BIQ (basic infantry qualification, raids, ambushes, OBUA, assault boats, getting more into infantry primary skills
DP2-A (old machine gunners course with pistol, and small arms coaching involved VERY FUN, not as fun as machine gunner mind you)
Driver wheel, im assuming you probably have that
Comms
Recce (need comms to do this)
PLQ MOD 1-5 (all the class room stuff)
PLQ mod 6 (field portion)
DP2-B (as in SQ to BIQ this takes the skills you learned in MOD 6 and touches more upon them as well as learning to control the fire of various weapon systems (a friend had a line of LAV-IIIs, C-6 SF, C-6 light and a bunch of C-9s)

Back