• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I need advice

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok...here is my predicament....

I have a sense of duty and pride, coupled with a strong desire to serve.

A full-time committment isn't really an option for me....I'm 36 with a full-time job and family committments.

I served in a reserve Field Ambulance, until I was forced to leave  in 2003, due to civilian employment (transfer). The closest Fd Amb is almost two hours away. I would be willing to travel, but they are telling me that it isn't worth it for them because I live too far away.

The local infantry unit has told me that unless I can get 6 weeks off in the summer, they're not interested either. That's just not possible with a full-time job. My boss is willing to give me time off to train; just not 6 consecutive weeks during peak vacation time.

I think that I would be an asset to any unit, but I think I am pretty much SOL.  ;D

I have been a paramedic for 13 years, as well as a facilitator, instructor and field preceptor.

I have been a firefighter for 9 years, as well as a rescue tech, hazmat tech, and high-angle qualified.

Just looking for suggestions from the more experienced members.

nsmedicman said:
Ok...here is my predicament....

I have a sense of duty and pride, coupled with a strong desire to serve.

A full-time committment isn't really an option for me....I'm 36 with a full-time job and family committments.

I served in a reserve Field Ambulance, until I was forced to leave  in 2003, due to civilian employment (transfer). The closest Fd Amb is almost two hours away. I would be willing to travel, but they are telling me that it isn't worth it for them because I live too far away.

The local infantry unit has told me that unless I can get 6 weeks off in the summer, they're not interested either. That's just not possible with a full-time job. My boss is willing to give me time off to train; just not 6 consecutive weeks during peak vacation time.

I think that I would be an asset to any unit, but I think I am pretty much SOL.  ;D

I have been a paramedic for 13 years, as well as a facilitator, instructor and field preceptor.

I have been a firefighter for 9 years, as well as a rescue tech, hazmat tech, and high-angle qualified.

Just looking for suggestions from the more experienced members.

Unfortunately, if you can't commit the time to the reserves when the reserves wants you to then you are of no use.  Try volunteering.  Being a paramedic and a firefighter is giving enough anyway.

Consider the Health Services PRL (Primary Reserve List).

It has only a 14 day / year commitment and your location would not be an issue.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/recruiting/engraph/hs_prl_home_e.asp

What is involved with applying to the PRL? Where do I receive training? Is there any chance of a committment beyond the required 14 days?

I stand to be corrected on this but I believe your training is geared towards local reserve units in your area. When training is being done at the local level you will be asked to attend that training only.

As for commitment beyond 14 days, its possible, but since you are having trouble joining a reserve unit due to your work. Extended PRL is unlikely.

The major problem right now is my geographical location, being almost 2 hours from the closest Fd Amb. I can get at the most, 3 consecutive weeks off during the summer. During the training year, time off shouldn't be a problem. I have only been refused one time in almost 4 years, and that was because half the staff was on a course. As for an LOA for most of the summer to attend a training course......extremely thin chance; almost non-existent. Willing to travel wherever.

I received good news today, from the nearest Fd Amb (90 mins away). I am starting the enrollment process today. They are willing to be very flexible with the time that I can attend as well. If I am unable to make a training night, for example, they will book me into the local base hospital for a morning or afternoon. Things look positive right now, but a long road left to travel.

Just received a call from the CFRC in Halifax on Thursday. I have an appointment for my medical and interview on 01 NOV. Not bad....5 weeks after my application package was delivered.

Medical and interview done.....recruiter told me that I may be sworn in in the next couple of weeks.

Back