• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to fill out range card

mudeater

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day

Can someone tell me the proper way to fill out a ranger card.

Thanks in advance.

Isn't this something you should know after 2 years infantry?  ;D

From my aide-memoire:

1. A range card is a picture of the ground and prominent landmarks which you can see from your location. It is used to engage likely targets quicker, easier and more accurately

2. Targets are registered by calculating the range and the angle between the target and the zero line. Ensure the zero line is easily distinguishable both day and night. A summary of targets can also be helpful.

Include: Ref (A), Zero line (ie, Red Barn), Target (IE, bridge), Grid, Range, and Bearing.

it may also be helpful to include: Point from which made out (ie, left of 3 section's trench), Method of obtaining range (ie, judged by eye, checked by map), Made out by (IE, Cpl Bloggins) and date.

I used to like that stuff in physics...

Can't say I would be able to do something like that in battlefield...

/chapeau

One thing to remember to include on the range card is the conditions it was made under i.e. fog, rain, snowstorm, poor visibility, day/night this gives the next person in the trench an idea of what you were looking at. Also make sure you are in the trench or OP when making the card not standing off to the side of the trench since this will effect what you see.

Keep updating it as well, if you move into a position and its poor visibility, but conditions then improve and you say, "Hey, I didn't see that before, what a useful tree!" then update.

Back