• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

how hard are the courses now.

hayterowensound

Inactive
Reaction score
I took my QL2/QL3 inf course at petawawa in 1994, I would like to get back in and wonder if the courses are easier, harder the sameor what. My course was 8 weeks straight. :cdn:

QL2/QL3 is now BMQ/SQ/DP1.  In the reserves the 3 courses total to 13 or 14 weeks, which is equal to what QL2/QL3 was in 1997 when I got in.  For a couple years around 2000 the initial training period was only about 10 weeks because SQ didn't exist yet and we had the interim solution of BMQ/QL3.

I can't comment about regular force.

Old soldiers have been saying that what they went through in training was much tougher than "it is now" since at least Kipling's time and probably back to the Legions.  In my opinion the training and the army as a whole is the same or better than it was in 1997.  At least we aren't aspiring to wear blue helmets anymore.

Side Question:

Why do they keep changing the course Names?
It was BMT, TQ's, CLC etc when I was in.
I remember the change to QL's, but
Is it for PC or course content reason?

There is no good reason.  Some colonel gets the individual training portfolio and figures he needs to change it all to fill out his PER.  Perhaps his new way actually makes more sense, but what these people don't understand is that the act of change is often not worth the benefit, especially with name changes.  The course content is basically identical with individual performance objectives being sometimes moved from one course to another.  All the name changes in the world aren't going to change the fundamentals of training recruits.

GMT, TQ1, CLC made sense.

QL2, QL3, JLC made sense.

BMQ, SQ, DP1, PLQ makes sense.

But I wonder how much confusion has arisen from O Groups where guys making decisions have been out of the IT system for awhile and aren't up with this month's alphabet soup.  I hope the rate of change slows considerably soon.  Scheme A is good, Scheme B is good, the transition from A to B is the problem, and the people writing publications would do well to consider that.

as a humourous aside to the naming of courses, a RMS clerk was telling me that originally they were going to call them Personnel Management Services Clerks before they figured out the acronym would be PMS - which she preferred so that she could be in a constant bitchy mood with excuse....but I digress  :-X

Old Ranger said:
Side Question:

Why do they keep changing the course Names?
It was BMT, TQ's, CLC etc when I was in.
I remember the change to QL's, but
Is it for PC or course content reason?

Just to confuse people as much as possible  ::)

Back