• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Home made Training Ballistic Inserts

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I know I someone on the board here has made them before. But the search engine right now is N/S. I've made them twice. But it seems I'm not perfect yet.

Here are the measurements of the SAPI plates.

* Extra Small - 1.27 kg (2.8 lb) | 184 x 292 mm (7¼ x 11½ in)
* Small - 1.59 kg (3.5 lb) | 222 x 298 mm (8¾ x 11¾ in)
* Medium - 1.82 kg (4.0 lb) | 241 x 318 mm (9½ x 12½ in)
* Large - 2.09 kg (4.6 lb) | 260 x 337 mm (10⅛ x 13¼ in)

I'm guessing the SAPI size for our "frag vest" is the large. I usually make mine out of plywood. Then add a thin 5 pound weight plate beside it. But the front plate never seems to fit. Any one have the angles for the cuts for the large size? And how do you make it curve to the body like the original plate?

I've always believe in train to fight. So this is part of my game plan.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
TN

Another option, maybe easier?  Would be to check out online Airsoft gear stores, some of them carry plastic repros of the plates.  Fill them up with sand or whatever floats your boat to get to the desired weight, seal it up and it'll be good to go. 

I will admit that when I read your description about making the plates from plywood and weights, visions of Ned Kelly's armour came into my head....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1581305/Outlaw-Ned-Kellys-remains-found.html

Back