• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HM The Queen Approves New Regimental Titles

Bill Smy

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3788

It makes you wonder why we all didn't stay with numbered Regiments.

(Tom ducks, puts on helmet, retreats into bunker and locks door, turns on overpressure system..)

Tom

TCBF said:
It makes you wonder why we all didn't stay with numbered Regiments.

(Tom ducks, puts on helmet, retreats into bunker and locks door, turns on overpressure system..)

Tom

We changed the numbered system? When did that happen?

(As I reach the phone and give the BOR a wring....with my helmet on backwards)

dileas

tess

If the comments in the latest Thin Red Line magazine are any indication, the British regular army seems to be taking this all very calmly.  Kudos to them for their professionalism.

"and give the BOR a wring...."

Hey, Tess, I'd like to give my BOR a wring too! ;D

Tom

The British Army is taking this calmly because it is a done deal and going to happen no matter what the troops think.  The only element that is still making a fuss (and fighting a lost cause IMO) are the Scots.

The only good thing about any of this is the removal of the daft multi-badged inf battalions in the TA (except for the LONDONS).

Yeah, that one caught me by suprise too. And the composite name "The Rifles" seems, well, uninsprired.

*shrug* It's their army.

DG

While the name "The Rifles" mat seem uninspried personllay "The Rifle Brigade" would have been a better choice, lets not forget that this is the same people that came up with the name "The Highlanders".  What I find interesting is the Brits can amalgamate regiments with hundreds of years of service to the crown at the bat of an eye, yet in Canada if someone suggests amalgamating the Royal Moose Jaw Fusiliers and the Weybrun Fencibles, syncope and aneurysm become pandemic.

xFusilier said:
While the name "The Rifles" mat seem uninspried personllay "The Rifle Brigade" would have been a better choice, lets not forget that this is the same people that came up with the name "The Highlanders".   What I find interesting is the Brits can amalgamate regiments with hundreds of years of service to the crown at the bat of an eye, yet in Canada if someone suggests amalgamating the Royal Moose Jaw Fusiliers and the Weybrun Fencibles, syncope and aneurysm become pandemic.

I think Canada has amalgamated or disbanded more regiments than the British have in the 20th Century, so I'm not sure where this comes from.  We just haven't done it in a while.  The CAR was disbanded recently but aside from some minor name changes (Tor Scot, RRR, etc.) our stable of infantry regiments has been remarkably...stable...since the 1950s, and even that was child's play compared to the reforms in 1936 and the early 1920s).

We still 48-odd Militia "Regiments" masqerading as "Battalions" that are more like Companies.
That could easily become 10-15 Regiments.

I'd go a step further and follow the brits and have Reserve Battalions wearing the catbrass of a "parent" regular force regiments. Even if that means expanding the count of regular force regiments.

R031button said:
I'd go a step further and follow the brits and have Reserve Battalions wearing the catbrass of a "parent" regular force regiments. Even if that means expanding the count of regular force regiments.

I can certainly see the cost savings to such a move, but I disagree with the idea.

Such an arrangement would create a major league (parent unit) vs. farm team (reserve unit) dichotomy. This would make unit pride, recruiting, & retention extremely difficult for the reserve unit. In order for reserve units to effectively train, they need to overcome a variety of challenges. The best way to do this is to have a unique and treasured regimental identity, coupled with a firm team spirit. Reservists need to believe that what they are doing matters as individuals, and as part of a regimental tradition they control.

MoRat said:
I can certainly see the cost savings to such a move, but I disagree with the idea.

Such an arrangement would create a major league (parent unit) vs. farm team (reserve unit) dichotomy. This would make unit pride, recruiting, & retention extremely difficult for the reserve unit. In order for reserve units to effectively train, they need to overcome a variety of challenges. The best way to do this is to have a unique and treasured regimental identity, coupled with a firm team spirit. Reservists need to believe that what they are doing matters as individuals, and as part of a regimental tradition they control.

I can't think of anyone putting this any better.  Well said.

And it certainly makes sense.  Our Calgary Highlanders are gung ho as all get out about getting overseas on the next roto to Afghanistan; one was scrounging for a camp flag to take, others were getting extra cap badges in case theirs break.

I don't see that kind of pride in being the 11th (South Alberta) Battalion, PPCLI. 

The amalgamation of units into super regiments is almost absurd. No one has the stones to just case the unit colors and consign them to Army history until such time that the unit may be restored. As the BA continues to get smaller more cuts will occur and creating super regiments wont be an option. The highland regiments bitterly fought the amalgamtion as they took the brunt of the amalgamation. After that4 home battalions in NI were to be deactivated so the OPTEMPO continues but now there are fewer units to share the burden with. The Royal Navy is in even worse shape than the Army. The only chance for reversal is a return of the conservative party and that isnt likely, which means that MoD will take more hits. In fact if it werent for Iraq the BA would probably
have lost even more battalions.

Michael Dorosh said:
Our Calgary Highlanders are gung ho as all get out about getting overseas on the next roto to Afghanistan; one was scrounging for a camp flag to take, others were getting extra cap badges in case theirs break.

I don't see that kind of pride in being the 11th (South Alberta) Battalion, PPCLI.  

Cal High's wouldn't be 11th Battalion. They would be B Coy, 4th Battalion, PPCLI - Eddies could be A Coy. Or, even better, Cal High's could be D Coy 1VP, and Eddies D Coy 3VP.

We've bashed this horse before though.

Tomahawk6 - is it really a matter of making "super regiments"? I understood the amalgamations as an official recognition of the reality of manpower shortages. Rather than have two understrength regiments, they make one full strength regiment out of the two.

I am a member of arrse and belive me they are still not happy with the amalgamations. If there are understrength units because they cant recruit then they need to case the unit's colors.

In Canada's case, would such a scheme really save much money? I've made my argument to preserve the regimental system. I believe that many others here could make an even better one. The regular force has already lost half of their post-war regiments. How much money would be saved by amalgamating the three survivors into the RCR, or a new creation altogether? Would that small amount of money compensate for the lowered morale and preformance? As for the reserve, we would save even less money and inflict greater damage.

I think we would be more sucessful looking for cost savings in lowering our tooth-to-tail ratio, cleaning up our procurement system, tightening up our scale of clothing issue. These and other similar approaches are preferable to attacking a regimental system which has survived for centuries for one reason: it works.

I am a strong advocate of the regimental system. It's proven, effective, it works, and it makes you feel like you're a part of something special and larger. Plus it just seems to sound much better when someone asks what unit you're from and you reply e.g. 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Regiment instead of 2nd Platoon, C Coy, 1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment, 5th Brigade.....

I think that rather than try to continue a regiment's lineage as a company in another regiment, it is far better to allow that regiment to pass into history. If in the future there is the need for a new regiment then one can be reactivated. We in the US Army do this.

Canada has handled this alot better than the Brits. Canada still has 3 infantry regiments each with 3 battalions. British regiments, there are a few exceptions, have become single battalions. In some cases battalions just might have a lone infantry company or maybe 2. If a regiment cannot maintain its strength then it should be deactivated. In the US the Army handles all recruiting and assignment of soldiers. In the UK, regiments recruit rather than the Army. If the Army acted as recruiting agent then maybe they wouldnt have had to amalgamate units.

Back