• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hit a speed bump...

jricRN

Inactive
Reaction score
So I went into my local recruiting office today to check up on my application and ask some questions that have come up. My questions were tough ones so they sent me to see the Lieutenant. What they told me was that I was a day late in handing in my application for ROTP! My options were as so: defer my acceptance into nursing and apply again next year, or join the reserves as a NO. What do you think I should do? My ultimate goal is to join the Regs.

If you join the reserves you can always CT later.  Or you can wait til next term.  If it were me I'd go the reserve route and CT later.  You'll still attain your ultimate goal AND get paid in the process.

Would it be an easy transfer? I read somewhere that not all reserve units train to Regular Force BMOQ specifications and that could pose a problem when transfering; well maybe not a problem, but I would have to do BMOQ again. How can I tell if the unit does the Regs BMOQ?

Additionally, as a NO, will I lose a rank step going from Reserves to Regs? I know that med techs do, but what about NO or officers in general.

Thanks

I'm not equipped to answer those questions - might be better to speak to a recruiter or someone who's in that process now.  I mean, if you're an OCdt, I can't see how you could get bumped any lower. 

As far as training, I don't know how that works.  However, ltmaverick25 is in the CT process, if you PM him he may have some answers for you.  His situation is a little different (in that I"m assuming you haven't completed your degree yet), but he may have some information you can use.

ROTP applications are supposed to accepted year round. The CFRC should accept your application BUT you will not make the first big selection that is next week. However you can apply and see if you get selected for a later selection. We had some applicants get ROTP offers as late as August. If you apply for ROTP and are not selected then you can easily transfer you application to Primary Reserves. All the work needs to be done anyway.I would go back to the CFRC and request that they process your application for ROTP now in case there is a later selection. Best of Luck.

CFR FCS

I went to talk to my local recruiting office again, and now they said that I can go through as a second-round ROTP candidate.  Everytime I go in, I get different information and I'm getting so confused as to what is happening. I just hope I am geeting the right info so that I don't sign up for one thing and end up getting stuck with another  :-\

You should take a small note book and take notes and make sure that you record who gave you what information. If someone cannot answer your question request to talk to someone that can. Best of luck.

CFR FCS

jricRN said:
I went to talk to my local recruiting office again, and now they said that I can go through as a second-round ROTP candidate.  Everytime I go in, I get different information and I'm getting so confused as to what is happening. I just hope I am geeting the right info so that I don't sign up for one thing and end up getting stuck with another  :-\

Unfortunately that experience is all too comon.  But it looks like they have you on the right track now.  Push hard for the second round draft pick as I like to call it.  If for whatever reason you do not get in, ask to join the reserves as an NO, or anything else that interests you for that matter, just make sure it is an officer trade.  Go to civilian university, do really well your first year and re-apply.  If you have good grades from your first year, your chances of being accepted for ROTP are extremely high as you have already proven yourself as a student and thus a good invetment, and, there is one less year the CF has to pay for.

Being in the reserves while attempting to do all of this will not negatively impact you at all, unless of course you prove yourself to be a bag of shat in the reserves, in which case you may consider yourself doomed  ;D

Going into the reserves while undertaking university, and then subsequently re-applying for ROTP will not be considered a component transfer, that is something altogether different.  Insofar as BMOQ is concerned, it is my understanding that the courses the reserves run are now identical to the reg force ones and you should have no equivalency issues.

The only time a component transfer comes into play is assuming that  you have failed to gain entry under the ROTP program.  You complete your university degree at your own expence while doing military training over the summers (which essentially translates into a free education anyway).  Once your degree is complete, you then request a component transfer.  If you are transfering to the same trade you are in for the reserves, the transfer will be very fast and you will likely have many things written off.

Good luck

Back