• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heavy lift conundrum

Everone that post here knows by now that the government says one thing to the citizens of Canada and another to the CAF.  The CAF has  run a billion dollar deficit for the last couple of years in funding and each year they are told to find extra money in the system if they want to get new kit.  I will not be to soon when the bill for new equipment is going to be so huge it will make the past bills look small.  There is a disconnect between the citizens that say that they want the CAF to be involved in the world and the government doing the right thing and funding the right thing. 8)

Matthew - exactly, the PMO may say how important the CF is but still not spend any money on it. 

A further point is the Air Force will not be able to obtain any efficiencies by amalgamating bases such as Winnipeg, Borden, Portage and Moose Jaw.  There would be too much political cost in such an action even though much infrastruction need to be rebuilt and now would be the ideal time to move.

It was interesting to note that the Air Force views Borden as an 'Army' base, even though it's named 16 Wing and really belongs to CFRETS.  I've heard from several sources (from Borden as well) that the whole south side would close and be sold off.  Right now the flight line is often rented out to Honda for up to $30,000 as a parking lot....

This could be a topic in itself but what does the army prefer air or sea lift if we were concentrating on just one?

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.4308111.1089903978.QPadasOa9dUAAESlMZk&modele=jdc_34

Royal New Zealand Air Force upgrading its C130s at Spar in Edmonton.

Spar did some work on ours IIRC.  Is there any life at all left in our H's, even with an upgrade or do we have to go with that ridiculous wing and fuselage exchange?

Inch and Zoomie, you have any insights?

Sorry Kirkhill, those wings move far too slow for my liking!

Seriously, I couldn't tell you anything about that, I haven't seen a Herc nor have I heard anything about Hercs in quite some time.

Ceased wing is more Zoomie's forte.

All of our E and H model Hercs have been through SPAR in Edmonton at some point in their lives.  It isn't our H models that we are presently concerned about - our E models are in dire need of becoming Pop cans.  The Fixed Wing SAR replacement project should adequately address this issue and help lessen the load on the remaining H models.  Once we remove the Herc from its SAR role and let it concentrate back on being a tactical lifter, I believe that serviceability in the C-130 world will increase.

The E model should have been turned into pop cans years ago........i've been on a few of them and they don't just look tired.........

Thanks Zoomie.

Any late word on the SAR replacement?

Edit: Never Mind.... I see Aesop opened up new SAR thread.

Cheers.

Muahahahahahahahaha!  whiskey 601 !!!  i'll call that a checkmate!

Gaius Marius

Ex-Dragoon said:
This could be a topic in itself but what does the army prefer air or sea lift if we were concentrating on just one?
Good question, but I think Air is preferable (if we need to choose only one). We could have a dozen transport ships, we still couldn't go to Afghanistan, or other landlocked places.
Of course, if we could have a couple of Carriers with Harriers and heavy lift helos...  ;)  ;D  ;D

if we could have a couple of Carriers with Harriers and heavy lift helos...  

As per Jungle I too am very interested in how feasible a capability like one of the helicopter carriers would be for us...It would seem that with the sorts of taskings that we are doing in the world today this sort of platform would be ideal for a great many of the things we need...Like a floating C&C station, special ops rapid deployment platform, evacuation platform, heavy equipment deployment platform or perhaps even a floating MASH unit.

With a few of the "new" helicopter assetts which could be re-tasked, or new ones bought to operate off of the thing it would /could be the perfect fit for a great many missions.

What do the navy and air guys think about this?

Blackhawk01.gif

Nice to have but could we work on improving what we have first please.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Nice to have but could we work on improving what we have first please.

You and your destroyers.   Blue water navy.   Blah, blah, blah....

Matthew.    ;D

Cdn Blackshirt said:
You and your destroyers.   Blue water navy.   Blah, blah, blah....

Matthew.    ;D

Not just destroyers....frigates, submarines and AORs. As much as I would like to add capabilities we have to have a firm grasp on what we have now and not let those slip any farther.

Glad you don't take the navy seriously Blackshirt....I so happened to as its my way of life. Maybe one day when(and if) you join up, you will take the military as seriously as I do.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Glad you don't take the navy seriously Blackshirt....I so happened to as its my way of life. Maybe one day when(and if) you join up, you will take the military as seriously as I do.

Ex-Dragoon, my apologies....

The first comment was meant in jest to put a smile on your face because you and I have had that discussion so many times before.   The second was the same.   I'm not making light of the navy or its needs.   I'm making fun of the debate.

If you can't laugh at yourself, what's the point?

Matthew.     ;D

Back