• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Green Day Video..Is it just me or is thiis disturbing...well distasteful anyway

Pearson

Inactive
Reaction score
Tried a search on this site and found nothing so .........
I was flipping channels this morning, and caught the last bit of the new Green Day video entitled "Wake Me Up When September Ends" What grabbed my attention as i flipped past, was a Humvee with troops.... stop ..flip back.. thought it was CNN..(Channel 18 CNN 19 Much Music)
It showed a dismounted section following a Humvee, walking into an ambush and taking fire, ....O.K. I think.... I must have missed something.

I googled the song to get the lyrics, so i can see the story behind the video...
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/greenday/wakemeupwhenseptemberends.html
hmmmmmmmm strange.......

I look deeper, and there it is in wikipedia.. all explained..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Me_Up_When_September_Ends

"It takes the form of a melancholy ballad, on the theme of the passing summer and memories of a deceased father. The song is an ode to Billie Joe Armstrong's father, who died from cancer when Armstrong was 10 years old."
.... in the words of John Stewart....whaaaaaaaa???   ??? ??? ???

Am I getting too sensitive in my old age??
Link to video here..
http://www.greendayvideos.com/videos/wakemeup/

Thoughts........????

Trying to convey the feeling of loss. The loss of someone very close to you. Greendays latest is a political firewagon to say the least, and what's on the minds of every American? Iraq. If you watch the entire thing, the boy promises the girl that he'll never leave, and then he goes and becomes a marine and goes to Iraq, and, and. Video strays off track, but I'm not really offended by it.

I don't think the video would bother me if it reflected the lyrics. It's not the imagery that I found disturbing, but the use of it in this particular case. I understand the sense of loss in the lyrics, as well as the feeling and meaning behind them, having lost my parents as well. I just found the connection between the two weak.

I guess I am getting old.  ;D

I can't disagree with you Frankie, the link is very weak. I like the music Greenday is putting out, but IMHO, I believe that musicians et al, should stay out of making political statements on the backs of kids. Teens buy the damn cd's because the music is good, not because of some message about politics. Then the "stars" say "well people are buying it, so it must be the popular opinion" sigh. I wish they would get over themselves.  ::)

I am about to agree with whatever Gramps posts next...

http://www.well.com/~cjfish/

welcome to the official World Wide Web home of the 60s band that stopped the war in Vietnam. Bring flowers, godseyes, and boxes of air.

http://www.well.com/~cjfish/

"I believe that musicians et al, should stay out of making political statements on the backs of kids."

Musicians have been making political statements with music for years and years. Since most kids don't watch the news or pay attention to what is going on in the world then I think it is good that musicians do this. It may stimulate interest for teens to get involved or show an interest in what is going on. I would rather have musicians singing about current events and making a political statement than singing about lollipops and bubble gum or some "Hair" band (Whitesnake, Poison and their ilk) singing about how many times they scored on the last tour.

I have no issue what so ever about musicians making statements with thier music..CCR, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, and the many musical "gatherings" that have happened over the years "Tears are not enough" etc., but please stick with the statement/spirit of the song.

Actually its the video director not the band that make the decision on what you see to the music.
Watching one episone of POP up Video will confirm this.

(now someone will say, One Episode is hardly enough to base that opinion on. but this is Army.ca where expert opinions are based on one herc ride or what a buddy told you once  ;D)

Besides, the lyrical content and the video are both about losing someone close to you. In that respect they are similar. Using images of the war in Iraq may be either to get more people to watch or just to make it relevant to something that is going on currently in the world today.

When I first listening to the song long before the video came out, I did get the 'someone is going away to the army' vibe. However,I didn't associate those feelings with the Iraq war.

Its a very personal song for Billie Joe and he has been quoted in saying that he has problems preforming it (hence the possible lack of band involvement in the video).

Some songs can be interpretated different, and this was the directors view.

Why did they include scenes of Iraq violence in the video for a song that has absolutely nothing to do with it?
So suckers will glue themselves to the screen in-between bouts of CNN.

Remember Green Days career fizzling out a few years back? And here I thought it was a good thing.

Now they're back, and they're even more punk rock! They've become political punkers, hooked up with Fat Wreck Chords and jumped the 'Rock Against Bush' bandwagon, and it worked....why?

Same reason people listen to Good Charlotte....i have no fucking clue.

Too late Billie Joe - you ARE an american idiot

Sh0rtbUs said:
It made my girlfriend cry...

lol. i just saw that video. it almost made me cry too. lol. you can tell i'm a military girlfriend. just hits a little too close to home for me. i had a similar experience.

GerryCan said:
Too late Billie Joe - you ARE an american idiot

haha that made me laugh. its so true.

I was never a fan of greenday.... they were alright I suppose, but their newer stuff IMO is crap. That boulevard of broken dreams song is played over and over constantly, has worn out, and well, is worn out, lol.

One of my top 5 fav bands, Rage against the Machine. Raprock at it's finest, the closest thing to rap I can tolerate.

But yeah back on topic, nothing bout the video offends me either, but then again, I'm not a soldier yet. :)

again i state,
It's not the video.
If the song was written in reference to the war, no issue.
The song was written, in his own words, as an ode to his fathers passing.

There is my issue.

After hearing it I think what theyre also trying to say is that the "innocent" do things and they end up paying consequences.  Notice how in the video there couple is happy but could be living better?  Then halfway through she yells at him something like "Tell me its not true. Say its not true."  One would think that he cheated on her but what some fail to see is that he actually joined the army.  Hence the innocent not lasting as in the end his section is ambushed and destroyed.

So in a sense it is also about war.

Back