• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going to the Philippines.

Nemo888

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Going to be there for a while. South of Manilla. Any advice? Hopefully be  passing through Hong Kong occasionally too.

You will probably recognize a lot of call center voices when you are in the bar.

(from my gf, who is from the Phillipines)

If you want to have fun like amusement park fun, go to Enchanted Kingdom or Splash Island in Laguna.
If you like beaches, go to Batangas/Boracay
If its some female attention you're after, head across the bay to Bataan. The girls at the old airbase seem to have a thing for white military guys. But for the love of god, do remember to bring what CDN Aviator said, especially the ear plugs. You'll go deaf in no time without them!

Also, don't forget anti-diahrea medication. There is something in the water.

If you're stopping in Hong Kong, check out Lan Kwai Fong (LKF); great (but not cheap) bar area.

Manila is noisy and crowded but an intersting city. A day trip to either Bataan or Corregidor is a must. The Intramuros or old city is also worth seeing.  The high end shops and restarants in Makati,  and the low end market area of Baclaran both offer interestign plces to shop.

Same as travel anywhere common sense applies, especially if seeking a certain type of evening entertainment. Language is not a problem BTW English is widely spoken in and around Manila

Piece of advice from a friend of mine who went with a group of guys the summer after graduation from university. Make sure you know what the equipment situation is before you close the deal.

One of their group picked up a bar "girl" and they went back to the hotel. The scream from his room when he discovered his mistake woke up everyone else.

This was 20 years ago, and to this day they still don't let him live it down.

cupper said:
Piece of advice from a friend of mine who went with a group of guys the summer after graduation from university. Make sure you know what the equipment situation is before you close the deal.

One of their group picked up a bar "girl" and they went back to the hotel. The scream from his room when he discovered his mistake woke up everyone else.

This just made my night! LOL!

cupper said:

You're not supposed to give them this advice, better the young man finds out on his own and then admits in on here >:D

I just got back, and had a good time.  Boracai is well worth the trip. Bit pricier then the rest of the country, and lots of peddlers, but that is to be had anywhere. 

If you scuba dive, or want to learn, well worth the trip.  Check out Victory Divers, good instructors that will give you a bit of a challenge and take you to some interesting places, just go before the end of April, that's when the hurricane season starts.

Palawan is  a really cool place to visit, as well as Cebu, great hidden jems and nicer people.  You will find that Manila is Toronto with the crazy traffic and pollution. 

Other then that, bank machines are everywhere, don't bother with travellers cheques and book hotels on-line, its faster and just as efficient.

Have fun and wear sunscreen, its a bit sunny!

All the advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

One of my main questions was how do you use money there?  Do bank machines work outside of Manilla. Do they accept credit cards? I was thinking of hitting Taal volcano near Tagatay and the Mayon volcano as well as Borocay.  Is there a place for snorkeling or any great coral reefs? That is something I don't want to miss. Pics would be awesome.

Nemo888 said:
All the advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

One of my main questions was how do you use money there?  Do bank machines work outside of Manilla. Do they accept credit cards? I was thinking of hitting Taal volcano near Tagatay and the Mayon volcano as well as Borocay.  Is there a place for snorkeling or any great coral reefs? That is something I don't want to miss. Pics would be awesome.

- Do visit Corregidor Island, so much history http://corregidorisland.com/

- Try to use an ATM inside an actual bank (Due to scams and card readers) also alot of ATMS outside Canada give you the money before the card, if you forget, it will (should) suck it in and shred the card.

- You can rig your debit card to work like a Visa (It still works like a debit) handy when shopping outside Canada, so you don't walk forever trying to find an ATM or paying for a hotel room. Shouldn't have a problem with regular Credit Cards either (last time I was there, there was no Visa-Debit, so I can not vouch for that.

I got swindled by the doorman at the Hobbit House so watch your money...yes it has a tiny front door http://www.hobbithousemanila.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_Mall_of_Asia they have a skating ring, but it was about as smooth as skating on the neighborhood pond.

I've never had a problem using ATM there either in manila or down south.  You cna change Cdn into Pesos at Manila Airport , there are several booths just past the luggage area, and all have different rates ::). The going rate to ease through immigration BTW is $5.00 Cdn in the Passport.

Lots to see in Hong Kong - culturally, historically and otherwise.

It is a rich, cosmopolitain city - people from Toronto are small town "rubes," Winnipegers are villagers and so on.

Hotels are pricy and rooms are small tiny.

It is a shopper's paradise - especially Mong Kok for electronics: which go on sale there before they are released in the USA, Japan or Germany.

Great food - especially seafood.

Must see: Victoria Peak, the Giant Buddha on Lantau island, a sampan tour of the harbour and the War Cemetery at Sai Wan, at the Eastern end of the island but easily accessible by subway (to Chai Wan) and a short, cheap taxi ride (it's an easy walk (downhill) to get back to the MTR (subway) at the big shopping mall).

E.R. Campbell said:
Lots to see in Hong Kong - culturally, historically and otherwise.

It is a rich, cosmopolitain city - people from Toronto are small town "rubes," Winnipegers are villagers (sniff) and so on.

Hotels are pricy and rooms are small tiny. (that's changed from when I was there)

It is a shopper's paradise - especially Mong Kok for electronics: which go on sale there before they are released in the USA, Japan or Germany. (are suits still cheap)

Great food - especially seafood. (don't ask about the ingredients)

Must see: Victoria Peak (very definitely), the Giant Buddha on Lantau island, a sampan tour of the harbour and the War Cemetery at Sai Wan, at the Eastern end of the island but easily accessible by subway (to Chai Wan) and a short, cheap taxi ride (it's an easy walk (downhill) to get back to the MTR (subway) at the big shopping mall).

Original post CDN Aviator, was the following:
Going to be there for a while. South of Manilla. Any advice? Hopefully be  passing through Hong Kong occasionally too.

Rifleman62 said:
Original post CDN Aviator, was the following:

Aye.

Thats twice this week.........i better go get my eyes checked. I'm getting as bad as ERC....lol !!

GAP and others:

The "old days" are, sadly, gone:

1. Hong Kong is now a financial capital - the many Americans and Europeans who work there are still called, colloquially, the FILTH: Failed in London, Trying Hong Kong, but the real money is Chinese the Euro-Americans ar all second or third tier;

2. The cheap, good tailors are all in Shanghai but a good great suit, better than anything you will ever find in North America and cheaper than the equivalent on Saville Row, is still available but, just as sadly, out of my range. If you do want a really good suit get a Chinese visa (it's easy) and they, the Shanghai tailors on Nanjing Road, can do the job in three days and for less than $(Cdn) 700.00 you will get a suit that would easily cost $5,000.00 in Toronto or New York;

3. Even the HK food is, now, all safe and inspected - Hong Kong has gone all "Singapore:" clean, safe, tidy and totally fit for women and children; but

4. Gold and silver and electronics are still bargains.

Back