• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

getting on training courses

bcampbell

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I have just been sworn in recently, I was told that I would be going on my BMQ in April and then doing my BOTP afterwards and then off to Gagetown.  Now  when I have all my time off arranged etc I am being told that there is only one BOTP course this year and it is on now.  Since I have not been to the BMQ course I can not take the other, and then on will not be allowed to attend Gagetown this year.  In my unit it seems there are about a dozen guys which have been hired and promised summer work, only to find that there are no jobs for them as the training courses have no instructors.  Is anyone else finding this a problem.  Has anyone heard if anything is being done about the people being hired with no or little employment for them

Well,

You are a reservist, which means you get to work when there is a need for you.

No need, no work, no pay.

If you want to be paid full time and be trained immediately and well, join the reg force.

Did you have the impression that the military was going to occupy every minute of your time that was not taken up in school or your civilian job?

GO!!!, maybe he got it from the recruiters who promise $8000 minimum your first summer?

Naralis said:
GO!!!, maybe he got it from the recruiters who promise $8000 minimum your first summer?

Let's see that in writing.

Even better, post the Name and phone number of that recruiter.

Sounds like BS to me.

I'm willing to bet that the recruiter said something like "You could make up to $8000 in one summer", and the applicant heard what they wanted to.

Salary, TD & FOA plus Travel claim .....

geo said:
Salary, TD & FOA plus Travel claim .....

...before taxes, and assuming that you could get loaded on a task/course that perfectly co-incided with your school dates...

I have my doubts this is possible, perhaps once you have a few years experience and have advanced in rank you could pull it off.

for a rookie Ocdt in his 1st year... chop it down to half that amt.... +/- 4500 (days & TD)
for a 2lt the following year prolly something similar...

all the numbers change if the person is enrolled as a Capt

I must say, that I made more than 4500 last year as a new Ocdt, if I count just my CAP/small party tasking I made approx 7000.

On another note, I'm not sure why you would do both BMQ and BOTP as a reservist.  You should only need to do BMQ and QEO (which is small party tasking, essentially the leadership part that you don't get on BMQ) after that you can go on CAP.  Actually I have 2 Ocdts that are doing just that this summer, their courses both combined run from 14 June to 1 Sept.

You might want to look into to this cause this doesn't sound like what I did( I did my courses last summer) or what my guys are doing this summer.

At least reg force guys go on OJT if there are no courses available for them at RMC. RMC guys really do live the good life I guess. We have no needs or wants, we get what we need and we get what we want. If there is no work for us then we get paid vacation or work at the college.

infantry officer said:
I must say, that I made more than 4500 last year as a new Ocdt, if I count just my CAP/small party tasking I made approx 7000.

Actually I have 2 Ocdts that are doing just that this summer, their courses both combined run from 14 June to 1 Sept.
hmmm.... some 75 days.... that's a decent hunk of time (I had calculated based on some 45 some odd days)... that explains the discrepancy

Back