• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eyesight for Armoured Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf.junior

Inactive
Reaction score
Do armoured soldiers require a keen eyesight? This is the trade I'm most interested in, and I have terrible eyesight (-5 on left, -4.5 on right).

Would this disqualify me as an armoured soldier candidate?

PMedMoe said:
I have no idea.

I am not an expert however I believe this would be considered very poor. I had -6.25 in each eye and was completely disqualified for all service. One month ago however I had LASIK surgery after which I have been tested at 20/20 uncorrected vision. I strongly recommend it.

cf . said:
Where would -5 land in the V1 - V5 categories?

Search, man....

Start here - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31590.0.html

MMSS said:
I am not an expert however I believe this would be considered very poor. I had -6.25 in each eye and was completely disqualified for all service. One month ago however I had LASIK surgery after which I have been tested at 20/20 uncorrected vision. I strongly recommend it.

Don't your eyes have to have a stable prescription, which occurs around the mid twenties? I'm under 18 and I was planning on joining the forces as an armoured soldier after I graduated high school.

cf . said:
Don't your eyes have to have a stable prescription, which occurs around the mid twenties? I'm under 18 and I was planning on joining the forces as an armoured soldier after I graduated high school.

Well, if your vision is bad to start with, I hardly think it will improve with age........

cf . said:
Do armoured soldiers require a keen eyesight? This is the trade I'm most interested in, and I have terrible eyesight (-5 on left, -4.5 on right).

Would this disqualify me as an armoured soldier candidate?

From what I've seen of the Armored world, keen eyesight isn't one of the requirements!! Joking!!!!!!!! ;D

Jim Seggie said:
From what I've seen of the Armored world, keen eyesight isn't one of the requirements!! Joking!!!!!!!! ;D

You'd think a bit differently if we were supporting you in Panjwaii.        ;)

I know you can get in with glasses. A good friend of mine just got Lasik a few weeks ago and he was pretty bad before the surgery, now he's close to 20/20.

Best thing to do is ask a recruiter.

Regards

cf . said:

This is true. It's always interesting to see how the situation can change when relevant details are omitted. It's possible that you may have to put your plans on hold for a few years.

MMSS said:
This is true. It's always interesting to see how the situation can change when relevant details are omitted. It's possible that you may have to put your plans on hold for a few years.

Wow, eyesight is a turd in a punch bowl. Hopefully, the recruiter will be lenient and allow me to join the forces as an armoured soldier.

cf . said:
Wow, eyesight is a turd in a punch bowl. Hopefully, the recruiter will be lenient and allow me to join the forces as an armoured soldier.

The Recruiter will not be lenient.  The Recruiter will follow the instructions and if you do not meet the Medical Standards to get into the CF, you will not. 

George Wallace said:
The Recruiter will not be lenient.  The Recruiter will follow the instructions and if you do not meet the Medical Standards to get into the CF, you will not.

This is what I was up against when I first applied. CFAT, interviews, everything went great. Then the letter stating "medically unfit for duty" and that was that. Having to wait a few years is not the end of the world - let me finish my degree, got a decent job, bought a house, and allowed me to afford the surgery.

I'm a -4.5 in one eye and 0 in the other and I landed a V4. I was disqualified from all combat arms trades (artillery, armoured, infantry...etc) but there are still other trades available as options if you prefer not to go the laser eye surgery route.

I'm more than willing to have laser eye surgery to allow me to participate in the forces as armoured.

Until my eyes stabilize, what do you recommend I do? University?

And would my terrible eyesight disqualify me from becoming armoured soldier in the reserves? Or would this apply for the regular forces only?

Enough already....you've been given excellent advice from SME's, and you're still whining and cajoling with the "what if's".  ::)

I stand corrected. Armored soldiers need good eyesight to pick out distant targets and bring some death and destruction to those that need it.

Armored Recce on the other hand....... ;)

cf . said:
I'm more than willing to have laser eye surgery to allow me to participate in the forces as armoured.

Until my eyes stabilize, what do you recommend I do? University?

And would my terrible eyesight disqualify me from becoming armoured soldier in the reserves? Or would this apply for the regular forces only?

Go in and talk to a recruiter!

Regards

Globemaster said:
.... but there are still other trades available
And if you're determined to go to Gagetown, Petawawa, or Wainwright as a single guy, you may not want perfect vision.  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back