• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EROC Operators

Chimo

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to throw out a topic for some professional discussion to weigh the pros and cons. EROC is a new capability introduced to the Army and resident with Combat Engineers. Presently 4 ESR is force generating the personnel required to deploy this capability to theatre.

I have some limited knowledge, I am not an operator but I have certainly read the books, seen the equipment, talked to the operators, seen the equipment operate. The nagging question I have is...do these operators, have to be 043 Combat Engineers?

Do not get me wrong I truly admire their work and dedication. I am thinking there is nothing particular to the Engineers, other then it providing a route opening function. Could not other arms and trades be trained to do the same tasks with the same degree of competence?

Give me two minutes to don my helmet and flack jacket, then fire away.  :salute:

I think by the vary nature of EROC and
detecting, investigating and disposing of explosive threats such as improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and mines
I can't see any other MOC/MOS doing this well maybe except the Clearance Divers.

Just a caution to one and all.  Much of what falls into this category of discussion falls into the category of OPSEC, so please think twice before posting.

Thx dapaterson I was just think the same after I posted.

:cheers:

I personally believe other trades could trained to be operators.

I have operational experience and have seen/worked with EROC.

Bzzliteyr said:
I personally believe other trades could trained to be operators.

I have operational experience and have seen/worked with EROC.

Not doubting that Bzzliteyr, just as I can drive a Leopard ;)

Which also gives me the skill set to be able to drive the AEV.. though the qualifications are not interchangeable.

Driving and operating are not the same thing.....

Chimo said:
I would like to throw out a topic for some professional discussion to weigh the pros and cons. EROC is a new capability introduced to the Army and resident with Combat Engineers. Presently 4 ESR is force generating the personnel required to deploy this capability to theatre.

I have some limited knowledge, I am not an operator but I have certainly read the books, seen the equipment, talked to the operators, seen the equipment operate. The nagging question I have is...do these operators, have to be 043 Combat Engineers?

Do not get me wrong I truly admire their work and dedication. I am thinking there is nothing particular to the Engineers, other then it providing a route opening function. Could not other arms and trades be trained to do the same tasks with the same degree of competence?

Give me two minutes to don my helmet and flack jacket, then fire away.  :salute:

I think other triads could some of the jobs (driver, etc)

If there is any EROC operators on the form, can you please PM me (I'm wondering what I will be doing when I deploy) [pm me, and I'll send you my DWAN email address]

Rodahn: Hence why I said other trades can be TRAINED to be operators.. it does not necessitate being a 043.

Yes, other MOC's could be trained to operate the EROC package, just like MOC's other than Artillery could be trained to use the guns.  It's a new package, and it's going to the most suited for it, in my opinion.  The engineers have EOD, which can be combined in a troop with EROC (a Mine/Counter-Mine Troop).  Another reason could be because we bought the package from the States, and that's how they've implemented it; it was the American engineers that taught us how to use it.   

EDIT: To be trained as an Operator versus a driver means the other person of a different MOC would operate the arm on the MPCV, that's about it.  The VMMD is a one man vehicle.

McFarlane said:
Yes, other MOC's could be trained to operate the EROC package, just like MOC's other than Artillery could be trained to use the guns.  It's a new package, and it's going to the most suited for it, in my opinion.  The engineers have EOD, which can be combined in a troop with EROC (a Mine/Counter-Mine Troop).  Another reason could be because we bought the package from the States, and that's how they've implemented it; it was the American engineers that taught us how to use it.   

EDIT: To be trained as an Operator versus a driver means the other person of a different MOC would operate the arm on the MPCV, that's about it.  The VMMD is a one man vehicle.

And some guy's perfer getting in the one man vehicle...to get away from certain "nagging mood swinging higher" ;)

Back