• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Equitas' Walk for Veterans

rnkelly

Reaction score
Thought I would ask this question here as it's related to CAF members' participation in protests and political activity.

There's a bit of a debate at my work right now on whether a member is allowed to attend the following event (walk for veterans); 

http://www.equitassociety.ca/walk-for-veterans/

Is it fine to participate?

I seem to be in the minority thinking that it's fine with the usual caveats that you're responsible for your own behaviour and actions especially if you grant an interview to media.  Don't profess to represent the CAF, no uniform obviously.

Am I out to lunch?

rnkelly said:
http://www.equitassociety.ca/walk-for-veterans/

Is it fine to participate?

Am I out to lunch?

I had a quick look at the linked site as I was unfamiliar with the organization and quickly noticed this;

Registration fee is $25.00 to cover the cost of the national event.

I'm always somewhat skeptical of anyone asking for money without a clear explanation of where those funds are going.  Whether it is suitable for a serving member to attend, I cannot answer, but $25.00 could pay for a fine lunch instead.

Their messaging sends mixed signals.
The website banner lists 7 cities with major bases, but misses the north, QC and Halifax.
At the bottom, they included Halifax. If this is their advertising, I'd hesitate until I know more.

If this is the same group that Mark Campbell is in, then they are hardly a radical group. He is an advocate and a man of integrity and honor who has nothing but the best intentions for the men and women he and his affiliates are advocating for.

whiskey601 said:
If this is the same group that Mark Campbell is in, then they are hardly a radical group. He is an advocate and a man of integrity and honor who has nothing but the best intentions for the men and women he and his affiliates are advocating for.

This is indeed the same group that Man Campbell is part of. I believe the funds are being put towards court costs for the Supreme Court of Canada although AFAIK they are still waiting to hear if the court will hear the case.

Halifax walk has been cancelled. From what I gather there has been some comments made and veterans started getting angry at veterans. To me people need to relaxe and not take things so damn seriously all the time.

In the end what Equitas is trying to accomplish will benefit veterans if they win in court. So if your currently serving this could have an impact if you are ever injured/ill or are released.

[quote author=Teague] .

Halifax walk has been cancelled. From what I gather there has been some comments made and veterans started getting angry at veterans.
[/quote]

Sounds about right.

Back