• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do you have a Green Thumb?

ruckmarch

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Got into gardening last year as a way to de-stress and to grow my own veggies. Didn't realize I had a green thumb, but all the initial foundation work involving creating beds, buying triple mix and watering constantly paid off big time.

Last year pics

Cleopatra cannas

IMG_3440.jpg

brugs started from cuttings, castor bean plants, daturas and more cannas

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

New look front flower bed

IMG_3444.jpg

Giant Elephant Ears ( colocasia esculenta ) planted here, in front of that are 3 giant ornamental grasses

IMG_3445.jpg

These pics were taken today May 24th 2008

Elephant Ears ( colocosia esculenta )

IMG_3502.jpg

My front lawn beds

IMG_3504.jpg

The pot on the table has citronella in it

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

Hostas on the front step
IMG_3507.jpg

More hostas

IMG_3508.jpg

Side of the house.....more hostas

IMG_3509.jpg

Veggie bed at the back

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Tomatoes

IMG_3515.jpg

Deck with potted plants and patio tomato Early Girl

IMG_3516.jpg

Back wall of the house

IMG_3517.jpg

A lot has changed in just 1yr  :D

Here are some pics from my effort this year

More 2009 pics

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Please be caareful of the amount of pictures you post. A series like this could drive a dial up user crazy, not to mention the band width usage of the site.

Milnet.ca Staff

Other than that issue, it looks quite decent. The initial preparatory work has definitely paid off.

Loachman said:
Other than that issue, it looks quite decent. The initial preparatory work has definitely paid off.

Thank you. I was to at the start that the prep work is one area you don't want to cheap out on.

I have harvested a couple of 3lb tomatoes so far, looking to enter the rest in a local competition.

recceguy said:
Please be caareful of the amount of pictures you post. A series like this could drive a dial up user crazy, not to mention the band width usage of the site.

Just to pass on a little hint for this, open a free account at Photobucket or Webshots and post a link to your album instead.  Make sure to make the album public.

Nice garden!  I myself am a black thumb.

Lovely garden.  Beautiful house.  Everything looks very nice.

----------

I wouldn't say I have a thumb is green, but it isn't black either, it's some where in between.  I seem to be good at keeping plants alive, but I run into road blocks when it comes to getting the more temperamental or fussy plants to do what they are suppose to be doing.

At the moment I have:

- A rose bush which is doing well; one of the blossoms I have on the kitchen table and several more are due to open. 

- I have an obstinate tangerine tree which I can't seem to get to flower or produce fruit; I'm not sure sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll keep working at it and maybe the tree will eventually cooperate.  It should have started flowering and bearing fruit a handful of years ago.  I'm patient, hopefully if I hang in there some day I'll see the 'fruits of my labour'.

-I did try to grow some peppers this year, but they need lots of heat; weather colder than about 25C and they start to die and/or stop growing and with the cool to cold summer we have had, they are not doing well.  Mind you, I have noticed that, nothing in this area is growing well; during the summer the grass often times will need to be cut twice a week and this year, only once every few weeks and apple trees have apples on them the size of or smaller than brussels spouts, where as by this time last year they were full sized. 

PMedMoe said:
Just to pass on a little hint for this, open a free account at Photobucket or Webshots and post a link to your album instead.  Make sure to make the album public.

Nice garden!  I myself am a black thumb.

Thanks for the hint Moe. I tend not to make our albums public, hence the reason I didn't go down that route.

The pics are from photobucket by the way  ;)

Love to garden!  ;D  Usually get hired to give everyone else advice or get them started!  :nod: Can just call me digger! I would post pics but don't want to stress out dial up members. Great pics!

:cheers:

PMedMoe said:
I myself am a black thumb.

I had that also, until I put my flowers out...

Mother nature now is giving me her green thumb.

I now just have to remember to put a bit of water
when it had not rain for 2 days  :D !

Back