• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND Airline Agreement w/Air Canada exp 1 Apr 07

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
R 121805Z MAR 07
FM NDHQ ADM FIN CS OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 048/07 DAPPP AP 001/07
SIC WAA/VAA
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
THIS IS AN ORIGINATOR CORRECTED COPY
SUBJ: TRAVELERS - DND AIRLINE AGREEMENT WITH AIR CANADA EXP 01 APR 07
1.  THIS MSG IS TO ADVISE ALL TRAVELERS AND RC MANAGERS THAT
EFFECTIVE 1 APR 07, DND WILL NO LONGER HAVE A DISCOUNT ARRANGEMENT
IN PLACE WITH AIR CANADA.  OUR PREVIOUS AGREEMENT WAS IN PLACE FOR 7
YEARS AND OFFERED A STEEP DISCOUNT, MAKING AIR CANADA FLIGHTS A
COMPETITIVE CHOICE FOR DND TRAVELERS. HOWEVER, WITH NO AGREEMENT IN
PLACE COMMENCING 1 APR 07, IT IS UNLIKELY THAT AIR CANADA FLIGHTS
WILL BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER AIRLINES THAT DND AND PWGSC
SHARED TRAVEL SERVICE INITIATIVE HAVE ALREADY NEGOTIATED AIRLINE
AGREEMENT DISCOUNTS WITH
2.  AMEX CALL CENTRE STAFF HAVE BEEN REQUESTED TO BE EXTRA DILIGENT
IN ENSURING THAT TRAVELERS ARE PRESENTED WITH A SELECTION OF THE
LOWEST AVAILABLE FARES AND TO DOCUMENT WHEN LOWEST CHOICE OF AIRFARE
IS DECLINED.  REPORTS WILL BE AVAILABLE TO RC MANAGERS WHO WANT TO
ENSURE THAT LOWEST LOGICAL AIRFARES ARE BEING SELECTED BY THEIR
TRAVELERS.  TO ASSIST MANAGERS IN BEING PROACTIVE AND ENSURING
TRAVELERS ARE SELECTING THE CARRIER OFFERING THE LOWEST  FARES, A
REPORT PROVIDING CARRIER RATES FOR DND TOP 20 DESTINATIONS HAS BEEN
POSTED TO THE FOLLOWING WEB LINK, FOR JAN AND FEB 07.  AIR CANADA
FLIGHTS HAVE BEEN AMENDED TO REFLECT NONE DISCOUNTED RATES:
HTTP://DGMSSC.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DTN/DTN4/INDEX (UNDERSCORE )E.ASP
3.  ANY QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO THIS MESSAGE OR REQUESTS FOR REPORTS
ON LOWEST SELECTION OF CARRIER SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO MAJ DON
HITCHMOUGH AT (819) 997-2491
END OF ENGLISH TEXT/

Going back quite a few years, I worked out of trade as the booking clerk at my unit.  But that was when there was no other choice but Air Canada, and they didn't have to be competitive with anyone.  Nowadays, when I fly for something military related and I look at my itinerary, I flinch at the cost and rejoice that I wasn't the one paying it.  I personally have never flown with anyone other then Air Canada when I am traveling with/for the military.  Talking to others though, they have flown on West Jet for TD etc.  My personal travel is always with West Jet.  Not only are their prices better, but the service is so much more friendlier, and if you have to change or cancel a flight, there is few, if any, troubles.

For the people out there that are involved with flight bookings, how is this agreement expiration going to effect anything (flights, pricing etc), if it will even effect things?  *Note: I just noticed that there is a DIN link within the message listing rates.  I am not currently on a DIN computer, so I'm not able to post that for information/curiosity sake.

Funny.  Booking with AMEX I have rarely booked anyone on Air Canada anyway.  90% of the time West Jet has the lower fare.

beach_bum said:
Funny.  Booking with AMEX I have rarely booked anyone on Air Canada anyway.  90% of the time West Jet has the lower fare.

That's it, I'm coming to you for all of my travel now!!  ;D

I seem to recall at one time too, maybe about when WestJet was really coming on the scene, that we could only book with Air Canada.  Was that some sort of agreement that was still in place?

When we call to book a flight through AMEX they are supposed to give us the lowest fare possible.  The airline is not a factor, only the fare.  I do recall being only able to book with Air Canada at one time.  IRC it was just after we stopped SA. 

Before calling AMEX I would always check the WestJet site, and often AMEX would state the best one available was with Air Canada. After providing them with the West Jet info they would verify that it was in fact cheaper. So for myself this will have very little effect on flight bookings or budgeting.

I used to go up to Cold Lake on TD fairly often, and I was never booked on anything other than Westjet into Edmonton. Great service, friendly agents. Sure beats being bumped off an Air Canada flight when coming home on your LTA because the flight is overbooked.

Back