• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Continuing Education: pursuing a Master's at RMC or elsewhere? pros/ cons

ABC

Inactive
Reaction score
As great as your job may be, I've been taught that you should constantly be upgrading no matter how secure you think you are. Thus, I'm curious as to if anyone is considering continuing/finishing their education, in what field, and if RMC is the best place to go.

I know the RMC option is there for regular force members... but is it the only option? I'm personally looking to upgrade my skills and get a Masters degree. RMC offers the program I want, but it is also offered in other schools? Anyone who has been to RMC, feel free to comment on the benefits of a military education.

I have heard good things about RMC, but I can't specifically comment.  The quality of a particular institution isn't the issue for a Masters, but the quality of the program(s) you're interested in at that institution.  One program could be stellar and another just so-so.

Your profile is pretty thin, so I'm not sure what specific area you'd be interested in.  I'm pursuing a Masters through Distance Ed for a couple of reasons, mainly due to the likelihood that I'll be posted before I get a chance to finish.  I could have started something at U of O (which had a program I was interested in) but then what happens when/if I get posted?  The U of O program doesn't have any DL, and they couldn't offer me any information on what other universities might have compatible programs for transferring credits.

The program I eventually chose is well-recognized in my occupation as a good one.  There are 4 of us currently enrolled, I think, and I'm in a very small occupation, so 4 is a lot!  It's from an American university, and there are many American military officers in the program as well, and now a member of the NZ Air Force.  Although it's not a military program specifically.

Advice - once you figure out what program you're interested in, talk to people who have taken it and get their opinion.  Graduates of a program are the best source of information, IMO.  Don't discount DL as an option.  Many universities have excellent DL programs.  I can definitely state that I have learned a lot through the courses I've been doing by DL, and they are certainly not easier than F2F learning.  A good prof (live or on the computer) will be guiding you through comments and assigned readings to synthesize and analyze the information you're taking in, not feeding you what you should be thinking, so whether he/she is standing in front of you or on the other end of a network connection doesn't matter as much as people think.  It's more about what you are putting into it than what the prof is saying (at the post-grad level).

Talk to the base Personnel Selection Officer  They will have information on a variety of programs, both full and part time, and the implications of each - obligatory service or restricted release.  Routine Orders may also have details on some of the sponsored PG programs.

It's too late for APS '10 applications, but start getting things together now and you'll be well positioned for the APS '11 call letters.

Even within the Post-Graduate Training Program (The one wherein Reg Force Officers can work upon their Master's subsidized full time) there are many options available beyond RMC. What options are open to you, however, depends upon what trade you are, and what openings are available in that particular year. Not all positions repeat every year. If you'd like, PM me your e-mail and I can send a listing of all the options that were available for the 2010 competition, as a sample of what might be available in the future.

As for me, I'm thinking of eventually going to RMC to finish off my Master's. But there's a few other typical opportunities elsewhere in my trade, at schools in the UK and down in the States that I might also consider. In either case, I've got a couple years to think it over.

I have had a few civilian friends complete their Masters through Royal Roads University.  They all spoke quite highly of the institution having completed their grad degree through both DL and residency phases.  With it being a former military school, it seems to have some of its programs still focused towards the military, but police, civic planners and diplomats might also find it worthwhile through RRU's Masters in Human Security and Peace Building or the Masters in Disaster and Emergency Management.
Link is here: http://www.royalroads.ca/

Hi ABC - I'm just waiting to start training (reg forces) - I've been merit listed for everything I applied for, but am hoping for armour because I want to get some operational experience and solid training under my belt before switching into intelligence...I'm interested in doing the war studies masters program at the RMC in 8 or 10 years from now...my captain at the recruiting center told me they offer an educational experience like no other - I've checked out the program and you can specialize in things like intelligence or international studies...he said that having some real field experience and then following up with more advanced education is a great career goal...I think the programs are hard to get into - you have to get permission from your base commander / c.o and all the appropriate recommendations to be accepted, plus you have to have a history of strong academic results, but if you're accepted, you maintain your current salary, the education (first class) is refunded as you pass each component/phase, and they will try and place you in a position once you graduate that will allow you to put this new education into practical use - with an obligation to do so for about two or three years.

From what I've been told the professors at the RMC are the best, giving you an opportunity to learn specialized knowledge that will be invaluable to a military career...if you're bright and in this for the long haul (ie a career, not just an extraordinary experience) this is apparently a good route to follow, and one I plan to pursue...

To be fair, I know that masters degrees from other universities are also valued - Queens offers a conflict resolution program, a global development program, and an international studies program that all sound interesting and would likely be worth considering - the same conditions regarding permission for time off to study, funding etc. also apply.

What is your area of interest? What's your educational background? Where are you at in terms of training in your element? I'd suggest talking to people who have been through the RMC, and with professors at other universities to gauge how many of their grads go on to work in security-related fields if this your end-goal. I know you can also arrange to have a tour of the RMC. Good luck with whatever you do - in my opinion we should never stop trying to learn. Cheers!

Back