• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compensation for Reservists ?

DMac4

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently in the application process, trying to find info if there are any programs to help with compensation while on BMQ or training courses.
I have applied for Air Force Reserves, I have been told my BMQ will take approx 3 months away from my home province. During this time I will be on unpaid leave from my civilian career. I understand I will be paid approx $3600/month from the CAF, which is no where near what I make in the civilian job. I will still have bills to pay at home and if the $3600 doesn’t cover all the bills I was wondering if there are any programs to help ?
Thank you in advance for your time !

Short answer. No.

Have a conversation with your employer. Many employers see the value in service with the CAF, and to Canada, and have military leave policies in place, that provide a top up, of sorts.

Hello,
I am currently in the application process, trying to find info if there are any programs to help with compensation while on BMQ or training courses.
I have applied for Air Force Reserves, I have been told my BMQ will take approx 3 months away from my home province. During this time I will be on unpaid leave from my civilian career. I understand I will be paid approx $3600/month from the CAF, which is no where near what I make in the civilian job. I will still have bills to pay at home and if the $3600 doesn’t cover all the bills I was wondering if there are any programs to help ?

If it's any consolation, your expenses during those three months should be very low.

You'll likely be so busy you won't be able to spend much money apart from the occasional bag of chips and a coke etc.

The CAF 'enforced savings plan' has helped pay for a few cars, and other major purchases, in the past apparently ;)

Hello,
If you’re away from home you’ll also get $17.30 a day for the first month and $13 a day thereafter in “incidentals” allowance. That should add up to about another $1300.

Short answer. No.

Have a conversation with your employer. Many employers see the value in service with the CAF, and to Canada, and have military leave policies in place, that provide a top up, of sorts.
Thank you, I will look into this !

If it's any consolation, your expenses during those three months should be very low.

You'll likely be so busy you won't be able to spend much money apart from the occasional bag of chips and a coke etc.

The CAF 'enforced savings plan' has helped pay for a few cars, and other major purchases, in the past apparently ;)
Yes, I realize I won’t be spending much while I am doing BMQ..how ever I will still have bills at home that need to be paid. Parking insurance on my vehicle, cel bill, rent etc. I am looking into what bills I can put in “vacation” mode like my cable and internet, as well as put my vehicle on parking insurance.

If you’re away from home you’ll also get $17.30 a day for the first month and $13 a day thereafter in “incidentals” allowance. That should add up to about another $1300.
Is that for meals ? I’m still trying to figure out how the lodging and meals work as well. If the “incidentals “ are not included in meals and lodging that would certainly help !

Also, Air reserves tend to work fulltime, up to 20 days a month. How will you manage that with your full time career?
My recruiter implied that it was one night a week and occasional weekends.
I am free most evenings and weekends from my full time career. I will do my absolute best to manage both.

Is that for meals ? I’m still trying to figure out how the lodging and meals work as well. If the “incidentals “ are not included in meals and lodging that would certainly help !
Meals and accommodations are provided at no cost (referred to in mil speak as "rations and quarters"). Incidentals is a daily allowance to cover stuff like snacks, toiletries, etc.

I am free most evenings and weekends from my full time career. I will do my absolute best to manage both.

That's the usual routine, which is fully doable by most people with full time work and family commitments.

The reality in ARes land is that you will never be able to recover the full cost of your attendance at various courses or other activities, and there will likely be no recognition of this significant financial contribution in any other way such as, for example, a 'thank you for working for less than 50% of the wage you would expect to receive at your civilian job."

No, the employer isn't going to pay you more based off how much you've committed to in monthly payments. You seem to be aware of the salary, if it is insufficient for you to live off of then perhaps it is not a good job for you right now.

Seems a bit odd for Air Reserve. The reservists in a squadron usually work alongside the regular force members. They are admistered through the reserve flight in the unit and work in other areas. They also do regular force courses.

What you are talking about for normal work sounds like an army reserve unit, but air reserve for the training aspect. Might want to confirm things with your recruiter.

Seems a bit odd for Air Reserve. The reservists in a squadron usually work alongside the regular force members. They are admistered through the reserve flight in the unit and work in other areas. They also do regular force courses.

What you are talking about for normal work sounds like an army reserve unit, but air reserve for the training aspect. Might want to confirm things with your recruiter.

Uh oh … I applied for MSE ..my recruiter said I would most likely be attached with an army unit, but still be under the Air Force. Does that make sense ?

Uh oh … I applied for MSE ..my recruiter said I would most likely be attached with an army unit, but still be under the Air Force. Does that make sense ?
No. Going reg force you might wear an Air Force uniform and be in an Army unit, but not on the reserves to the best of knowledge.

What reserve unit are you trying to join?

No, the employer isn't going to pay you more based off how much you've committed to in monthly payments. You seem to be aware of the salary, if it is insufficient for you to live off of then perhaps it is not a good job for you right now.
I am not applying for Reg … I am applying for Res so I can keep my civilian career. I am just wondering what is the best way to jiggle the financials while I am away at BMQ.

No. Going reg force you might wear an Air Force uniform and be in an Army unit, but not on the reserves to the best of knowledge.

What reserve unit are you trying to join?
I am trying to join 17 Wing in Winnipeg. Looks like I am going to have to have a chat with my recruiter. LOL
Would it be possible that I am with an Air Force recruiter right now not when I am accepted I will be switching to Army because of my trade ?

Meals and accommodations are provided at no cost (referred to in mil speak as "rations and quarters"). Incidentals is a daily allowance to cover stuff like snacks, toiletries, etc.
Ok i understand now. Thank you !

I am trying to join 17 Wing in Winnipeg. Looks like I am going to have to have a chat with my recruiter. LOL
Would it be possible that I am with an Air Force recruiter right now not when I am accepted I will be switching to Army because of my trade ?
They might let you parade with a local reserve unit that needs MSE Ops but have none of their own. Seems wasteful having the air force provide regular force training and farming you out militia units (militia is colloquial for army reserve).

If you want part time military employment join a militia unit and do an evening and weekend basic during the fall/winter and shorter trade courses during the summer. You still can't get away from some full time trade/occupational training, but you can minimize it.

Back