• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

combat shovel

• Thread starter Thread starter P Kaye
  • Start date Start date
P

P Kaye

For reservists in the combat arms, is the combat shovel a standard-issue item?  Is it unit-issue, or from central stores (NDHQ in Ottawa) ?

If you're talking about the entrenching tool, my unit issues them whenever we need them (ie. for exercises, then we return them afterwards).

I suppose that's it.  The 1982 Pattern Webbing users manual C-87-248-000/MB-000 refers to a "combat shovel" that gets mounted on the back of your yoke for Battle Order.

I was issued one of those entrenching tools.  I  but I have never used it. Not even to standardize my kit layout on course. but I do get to keep it at home.

I believe they are a unit item.

Mounting the shovel on the back of your yoke is dumb as it interferes with the ruck.

According to the PAM, you only attach it to the yoke for "Battle Order", which does not include the Ruck.
For marching order (with the ruck) you would have to do something else with the shovel.

The PAM also claims that you're supposed to remove your butt-pack while wearing the ruck...

JBeach said:
What do you do with it now that we have the tac vest?

There's a couple of ex cops in New York that could give you some pointers on how to store or carry it. They'd probably make some painful suggestions concerning the handle.  ;D

Questions like what do I do with my shovel might drive me to drink............ :blotto:

Rucksack.............RUCKSACK! or don't carry it at all. ;D

P Kaye said:
.... you would have to do something else with the shovel.

Must resist temptation to make suggestion on what to do with shovel and e-mail NDHQ same   >:D >:D

P Kaye said:
I suppose that's it.   The 1982 Pattern Webbing users manual C-87-248-000/MB-000 refers to a "combat shovel" that gets mounted on the back of your yoke for Battle Order.

If you believe everything in the pams as gospel, particularly one written before you entered kindergarden, you will have a short, and unimpressive career as an Engineer officer.

recceguy said:
There's a couple of ex cops in New York that could give you some pointers on how to store or carry it. They'd probably make some painful suggestions concerning the handle. ;D

Wow, that would hurt with the issued folding handle shovel. Its handle being triangular shaped and all...

To answer you question, is carried on the rucksack for light infantry. Mech guys use normal shovels and spades which are part of their veh EIS or sect stores, and hence usually do not have them issued.

Armymedic said:
Wow, that would hurt with the issued folding handle shovel. Its handle being triangular shaped and all...

Sorry. The last time I used an entrenching tool, it had a straight handle. Haven't had the pleasure of playing with one of your new fangled ones. Matter of fact, I haven't used one of the old ones for twenty five years either. You get to carry a real shovel when you have wheels or tracks ;D

I have one and never use it ....wrong...it is being used as the dogs poop shovel-lol  ;D

The E-Tool (at least the US one) makes a great field sh*tter.

Simply take the shovel blade and move it into the 90 degree hoe type position and lock it into place.  Then put the handle on the ground and sit one butt cheek on the shovel blade and do your business.  Sounds kinda goofy, but it works great!

Now, did someone actually demo that for you, or did you just do it on your own?  ;D  My mind is having pain visualizing that.    :-X

Quentin

Seriously.. how does one come up with such things

Spend a little time in the field and nothing would surprise you.

Back