• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cloistered tour a 'tragedy'

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
An intresting viewpoint from a non-soldier....

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Peter_Worthington/2004/10/17/pf-672734.html

Sun, October 17, 2004

Cloistered tour a 'tragedy'

A shame our troops can't explore Kabul

By Peter Worthington

A tragedy -- if that's not too strong a word -- of Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan is that a great number of the soldiers will never set foot outside of Camp Julien.

In other words, they are in a little bit of Canada inside Kabul. The only time some will get outside is on their way to the airport and home.

Perhaps half the Canadians here will never get to see the town, never walk a street in Kabul, never enter a store, never talk to an Afghan, never experience the flavour of this remote, exotic, ancient land.

One wistful soldier called it like being in comfortable house arrest with maximum security. The "tragedy" is to be here -- yet not experience the country.

Even those on reconnaissance patrol with the Lord Strathcona's Horse or Princess Pats infantry are supposed to wear 13 kilos of body armour and Kevlar helmets.

I've mentioned this to various officers here who agree it's too bad soldiers can't go "walk about" in the city, but security implications are such that they make this impossible.

I understand the security aspects, but the Canadian military these days seems so risk-averse that it ignores what soldiering is all about -- and why young people join the army.

Soldiering, traditionally, is not a risk-free profession. Everyone who joins an infantry or armoured regiment has done so knowing there are risks.

There's no question the troops are doing an exceptional job in Afghanistgan. That's almost a given for Canadian soldiers today. No matter the lack of personnel, the cutbacks, the budget restrictions, and no matter how difficult or improbable the task, the army does better than expected.

It's almost a matter of pride to succeed in spite of lack of government support -- which isn't to say the 700 soldiers here are being deprived. In fact, the Straths, arguably, have more in the way of armoured mobility and electronic wizardry than any unit -- including the Americans -- when it comes to their Coyote vehicles.

It's come at a cost: The rest of the army must make do with less. "The best equipment the army has, has been shipped to us -- I don't envy the poor buggers back home," said one officer.

Interestingly, Kabul's costs are considered "operational" and come out of the Deputy Chief of Defense Staff's budget, which is more liberal than the DND budget.

Back to soldiers confined to barracks, so to speak, for their whole six-month tour. It would drive me nuts if I were one of them.

To see the world

Among the various reasons people join the army is for the chance to travel and see the world. And what's more exotic than Kabul?

I suspect everyone -- well, almost everyone -- would give their eye teeth to see the sights, shop, try the restaurants. But apart from Afghan traders setting up shop at the main gate once a week with rugs, hookahs, jewelry and silks, that's it for the soldiers.

Even those on recce patrols tend to envy their Norwegian, French, Italian, German, and Hungarian counterparts who disdain helmets unless there's cause. Not the Canadians -- safety first.

"We've become more like the Americans with security," said an experienced officer. "We seem to have forgotten that our great success with peacekeeping in the past was because we mixed with the locals, got to know them. Now our main ethic seems to be to get home safely, to take no risks. That's not what many of us joined the army for."

In fairness, promotion often seems to hinge not so much on a job well done, but on not sustaining casualties or accidents. Hence no touristy walkabouts for soldiers.

As a journalist, I can go into town whenever I want. But if I go with Canadian troops, I've got to dress as protected as an armadillo.

In town I see groups of French soldiers shopping -- one standing armed guard at storefronts while his pals get ripped off inside. I see Italians and Germans in restaurants. I find myself wishing Canadians had a choice.

I suspect the Canadian ambassador, Chris Alexander, would favour Canadians being able to see the town a bit, but he can't speak freely. Anyway, problems would undoubtedly increase if soldiers were allowed leisure time in town -- but morale would rise too.

The anecdotes would be worth the risk.

:cdn:

I am not sure why he is surprised. After all it took us 13 yrs to get a true walking out policy in Bosnia.

Interesting comments. Most Canadians I see on the road up here at Bagram never have helmets on, so what's he talking about?  If folks want to get out, why don't they volunteer to go on foot patrols? As far as "tourist" walking out like some of the other nations permit, I'd suggest that we let the Presidential election get settled before we think about that. This isn't Cyprus, and I don't really care what visiting journalists think. It's not Peter Worthington who has to tell the parents what happened to their son.

Cheers.

Armymedic said:
An intresting viewpoint from a non-soldier....

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Peter_Worthington/2004/10/17/pf-672734.html

<snip Worthington article>

I am not sure why he is surprised. After all it took us 13 yrs to get a true walking out policy in Bosnia.

I do believe that "non-soldier" was a Platoon Commander in Korea with the PPCLI for what its worth.   More likely an "ex-soldier".

Well the only way i'd sign up for a tour is if I could explore the city, and do what I signed up for.
Safty should be first, but safty can't be the only thing, other wise we would all be much safer up in Artic.

While I'm not sure I would care to walk around unarmed in Kabul, I think Worthington has a valid point. Troops can put up with lousy food, austere conditions, long hours, etc if they have some sort of outlet, something to explore, some interaction with the people they are supposed to be there to help... Being cooped up behind barbed wire for six or seven months is soul-destroying to say the least, and seems to have become official policy. I would throw these out and see how these impressions/experiences compare with those of others...

1. Rwanda (my first tour). Horrible living conditions, little contact with home, but a reasonable alcohol policy (ie don't drink so much you are unfit to work; I never saw anyone in six months break this one believe it or not...). We were able to interact with the local populace, ie eat in their restaurants, enter their homes, drink, go to markets, and see that the country itself was green and beautiful. Despite the things I saw and had to do while I was there, I would say this was my best tour. Morale was excellent. The only people with poor morale were those who had to work with the headquarters staff, who seldom got out of the complex, and were subjected to garrison style b.s. 24/7... Those of us working in remote detachments were quite content with our lot.
2. Bosnia   (99). A lot of us called the place "Canadian Correctional Facility VK", and for good reason. The joke among the troops was that the barbed wire was to keep us in, not to keep them out... We had plentiful, fresh food, lots of contact with home, books, movies, a gym, internet, among other things, (and an assinine two-beer limit). However, everyone was miserable; the majority of the "inmate" population never saw the outside of the camp except from the windows of a bus, and once again, the grownups tried to run the place like a base in Canada... As far as going off camp, forget it, unless you were lucky enough to get to a CD shop. Even then, you walked around bombed up to the hilt, while the Brits (no body armour, no helmets, etc) patronising the same shop looked at us in barely concealed amusement. It wasn't hard to see why most people never wanted to go on THAT tour again...
3. Eritrea (2001). Seven months in the world's biggest kitty litter box. Austere conditions, starvation rations from the Dutch (most people lost 10 to 20 lbs, and had the runs for 6 months straight), and absolutely zero interaction with the locals. Only off camp for LTA and R&R. Treated like babies 24/7, on what was supposedly a "low risk deployment"... The troops were miserable, and there were constant discipline problems the entire tour...

Forgive me for rambling, I am just trying to illustrate the point that the more the troops have been "locked down" and treated like babies, the worse morale (and discipline) on deployments has gotten. It also partially explains the atrocious behavior often seen on R&Rs; what else would someone expect when they turn loose a couple hundred pissed off people who have loads of cash and way too much steam to blow off...

The best way to address these issues would be to adopt sensible "walking out" policies where threat levels permit, encourage and facilitate contact with locals, and rescind the two beer policy. Treat the troops like adults, until they behave otherwise... Last of all, leave the garrison mentality in the garrison, where it belongs...

It is quite possible that the walking out policy may come when the security situation justifies it. I for one think it is premature right now, and I hope that the French/Belgians/etc don't find it out the hard way when somebody does a drive-by or tosses a hand grenade into a cafe or shop.   I will grant that if we can get through the Presidential inauguration OK, then we should be ready to consider some reductions.

Don't forget, too, that we are dealing here with an Army, a Dept and a Govt that has been consistently, loudly and frequently beaten up by media and by bereaved families for "not caring"   about the lives and welfare of its soldiers, especially the ones we put in harm's way. We give them "crappy kit", we "dont care about PTSD", we "don't care about soldiers lives", we "don't care about soldiers' familiies". Sorry, but that endless mantra has its price: a very risk-averse command structure. How about this: "why did you let my Johnny go downtown without his helmet and IBA when you "knew" it was dangerous?" See what I mean?

I say: put up with it for now and lets see how the security situation goes. And, by the way,most US Army people are here for a year, are COMPLETELY dry and have twice the ForcePro restrictions we do. Not to say there isn't an issue, but just to put the complaint in perspective. Cheers.

Back