• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Celiac: Rejected from Caf

spenclark

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I have searched this forum pretty extensively for an answer to this situation. I was medically rejected for not meeting the CEMS due to a diagnosis of celiac disease. I am aware of the long term hazards of eating gluten. But I have been doing so for years (4 aprox.) without symptoms. I don’t seek any accommodations or require treatment. On top of being in great physical shape, I am confident that the condition would not cause me to be a liability to the CAF.

I was initially told by the recruiter that it shouldn’t be an issue bc there are cases of people serving with celiac and I don’t require accommodations or medical treatment. I have spoken with my family doctor who can write a letter. I was also thinking of writing my own personal letter. But do you think the medical staff would disregard it?

I was pretty devastated by the rejection and am keen to appeal. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

*applying for inf reserve

People who are serving and are diagnosed with celiac have had money placed into their training and valuable experience related to their service. You have none of that so it's a false equivalency. They go through a seperate process to determine whether they can still serve.

The CAF can't take the risk you'll always be symptom free. Imagine this - you're deployed on some operation somewhere and are conducting a recce patrol, some.thing every infanteer will do. You think you're fine and eat your ration which is loaded with gluten and you suddenly have an adverse medical reaction. The patrol is now ineffective.

People who are serving and are diagnosed with celiac have had money placed into their training and valuable experience related to their service. You have none of that so it's a false equivalency. They go through a seperate process to determine whether they can still serve.
Right, i was just relaying what a recruiter had told me. I should have been clearer that I do understand why I was rejected and how that decision was made. Ty for ur input :)

Last edited:
I was also thinking of writing my own personal letter. But do you think the medical staff would disregard it?
The RMO will not look at any correspondence that is not from a medical professional of some sort. Even if you were yourself a medical professional, you could not write your own letter about your symptoms and prognosis.

The RMO will not look at any correspondence that is not from a medical professional of some sort. Even if you were yourself a medical professional, you could not write your own letter about your symptoms
I have found alot of ur comments on other threads very helpful. Much appreciated!

The CAF can't take the risk you'll always be symptom free. Imagine this - you're deployed on some operation somewhere and are conducting a recce patrol, some.thing every infanteer will do. You think you're fine and eat your ration which is loaded with gluten and you suddenly have an adverse medical reaction. The patrol is now ineffective.
I would eat a 50lb bag of flour in front of them if they would let me haha. But your point is well taken.

Back