• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians Foil Taliban Attack on KAF

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
The following Canadian Press story was taken from the CTV News Website. It is reproduced under the Fair Comments provisions of the Copyright Act.

The Canadian Press

Date: Tuesday Aug. 3, 2010 9:55 AM ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — A brazen daylight attack on Kandahar Airfield resulted in the deaths of between eight and 10 Taliban fighters Tuesday and military officials called the attempt amateurish and desperate.

The one-hour assault occurred minutes after a pair of rockets were fired toward the sprawling base south of Kandahar city, which is the largest NATO installation in southern Afghanistan.

It involved one individual wearing a suicide vest, who blew himself up near the perimeter of the airfield creating a small hole in the chain link fence.

"The Taliban conducted what was pretty much a desperate attack against KAF - not very successful in the least," explained Maj. Josh Major, a Canadian who is the commander of current operations at Task Force Kandahar. "They had 10 personnel attacking a base of about 20,000."

Major said Canadian soldiers responded to the attack.

"We actually had Canadian soldiers right near the site as they attempted to gain access and they immediately responded, neutralizing the enemy and basically ensured their attack was completely unsuccessful. It was not very well planned or coordinated at all. Basically all they succeeded in doing was really destroying about a $70 section of fence."

The insurgents were cut down by 25 mm cannon fire as they attempted to squeeze through the small hole in the fence.

Major said it was almost wrong to term the assault an attack at all calling it more of an annoyance at a time when Canadian troops are battling against the Taliban in the Panjwaii district, west of Kandahar city.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Air Commodore Gordon Moulds, the commander of Kandahar Airfield, believed the rocket attacks were initially the signal for the ground attack to begin. He said a NATO soldier was wounded by shrapnel from one of the rockets.

"I assume what they were trying to do is get onto base to carry out attacks and unfortunately for them they were engaged early and failed," Moulds said.

"One of their aims is to get some publicity for themselves but it's another failed attempt to attack us," he said. "It's a very large base. There seems to be no logic."

"It was a very amateur attack that failed."

Maj. Major said it is generous to term it an an amateur attack.

"Amateur would actually have you believe they have some knowledge. Here I would classify it as completely ineffective and amateur is a compliment."

It's the second ground attack on Kandahar Airfield in three months.

In May a nighttime attack injured civilians and military personnel.

At least five rockets and mortars were fired at the sprawling airbase in the four hour attack but the insurgents failed to gain entry.

Rocket attacks on the airfield are not unusual, however ground attacks have been very rare.

....the Taliban claims (via IRN media) it was a slaughter, claiming responsibility for 150 killed:
The Taliban have claimed responsibility for killing 150 US-led troops in an attack on the main US base in southern Afghanistan.

A gun battle erupted after the Taliban attacked the military base in Afghan province of Kandahar, a Press TV correspondent reported Tuesday.

Explosions had been reported in the vicinity of the air base before a fire-fight started between the militants and the US-led forces.

The fight lasted for more than two hours. NATO has confirmed the attack but offered no details on the possible casualties.

However, according to a statement by the provincial governor's office, only one foreign soldier was killed and several civilians were injured after two rockets struck inside the base.

Meanwhile, NATO-backed Afghan soldiers reported to have killed six militants that attacked the base.

A Taliban spokesman, however, insisted that the militants managed to infiltrate the largest US base in Kandahar and killing at least 150 foreign troops there.

If accurate, the latest casualties would bring to over 2,000 the number of US-led troops killed in Afghanistan since the 2001 invasion of the war-ravaged country.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

Canadians commended for stopping attack

Three Canadian soldiers who came across insurgents trying to breach the main NATO base in Kandahar province while out on a training exercise were awarded commendations today for their role in stopping the attack.

Sapper Kirk Farrell, of Petawawa, Ont., along with Sgt. Marc-Andre Rousseau and Cpl. Joseph Henry, both of Valcartier, Que., were outside the secure perimeter of Kandahar Airfield on Aug. 3 when they heard the explosion of a rocket-propelled grenade.

A group of insurgents that included at least one suicide bomber were at the fence.

Although they were not wearing flak vests so close to the coalition base, Rousseau says they quickly decided to respond to the threat.

Sprinting from a secure bunker to their tank, Rousseau jumped in the gun turret and, along with a group of U.S. soldiers who also happened to be in the area, they opened fire. When the dust cleared, between eight and 10 insurgent attackers were dead.

Air Commodore Gordon Moulds, commander of Kandahar Airfield, presented the trio with certificates of commendation and thanked them for their courage at a special ceremony.

:salute:  Way to go, guys!  :cdn:

Congrats to the troops  :salute:  :cdn:

Couldn't have been easy with more than 150 ISAF dead  ;)

Attention media/ reporter who wrote the bloody story - it wasn't a tank.       

I guess a jeep will be called a tank next          ::)

Regards

Well done. What great soldiers we have.

Cheers

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100813/national/afghan_cda_attack_medals
I particularly like this part
"Sapper Kirk Farrell, a 29-year-old soldier from Petawawa, Ont., jumped in the driver's seat of their light armoured vehicle, and Cpl. Joseph Henry, 32, also a member of the Combat Engineers from Valcartier, took command. Rousseau climbed into the gun turret mounted on top of the vehicle.

"At the moment I'm aiming at the insurgents, the first guy blew himself up. That makes a big dust cloud," he said.
and
Rousseau took aim at the dust cloud where he'd seen the attackers. He unleashed 10 rounds of 25mm incendiary ammunition, which explodes on contact.

When the dust lifted, between eight and 10 attackers were dead.

"It wasn't pretty," he said. "If you hit directly someone with that, they completely disappear, kind of. So it's hard to say exactly how many there were."
  ;D

Way to go Sappers!

CHIMO!

now go back to testing and don't forget your "kit"...  lol

More detail on this report.

Canadian soldiers honoured for role in repelling Afghan base attack
Brian Hutchinson, Postmedia News
Published: Friday, August 13, 2010
http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=3394345

KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan - Three Canadian soldiers received military commendations Friday for exemplary bravery, in recognition for their "instrumental" roles in repelling an insurgent attack on this sprawling military base.
Precise details and participant accounts of the Aug. 3 incident have only now emerged.
Sgt. Marc-Andre Rousseau and Cpl. Joseph Henry, both based at Valcartier, Que., and Sapper Kirk Farrell, based at Petawawa, Ont., were consulting with a private contractor on a new, classified piece of equipment that had just been installed inside a Canadian light armoured vehicle.
It was 11:18 in the morning, on KAF's northern perimeter. As they worked inside the contractor's shop, a group of armed insurgents launched a ground attack, trying to force their way inside the base.
In an interview with Postmedia News, Rousseau said the initial assault occurred about 200 metres from where they stood.
"There was a vehicle-borne IED explosion," he recalled. 'I didn't see it, I just heard it. Then I heard RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) fire."
The three Canadians ran outside to a bunker. As they did, Rousseau could see soldiers from a U.S. platoon, there to conduct a training exercise, were already engaged in a firefight with insurgents carrying AK-47 assault rifles.
"In the bunker, I asked (Sapper Farrell) if he was a qualified LAV driver. He said he was, so I said, 'OK buddy, you're coming with us.'"
The three men then "ran for our lives to the LAV," said Rousseau. From the corner of his eye, he saw insurgents moving to a hole in the fence caused by the suicide IED blast. "I saw a couple of them carrying AK-47s and RPGs," he said. "I saw one guy already inside the wire."
The three Canadians made it to the LAV. Farrell got into the driver's seat and Henry took his position. Rousseau climbed into the vehicle's turret, flipped to "on" the 25-milimetre cannon, and spun it towards the insurgents.
The one insurgent inside the wire was running forward. When he was approximately 40 metres from the LAV, Rousseau aimed the cannon.
"Right then, he knew he was finished, and he blew himself up," said Rousseau. The explosion stirred up a thick cloud of dust.
Rousseau didn't wait for the dust to settle. Sweeping his cannon left to right, he let loose a volley of 10 rounds.
All of the other insurgents died instantly. Rousseau wasn't sure of the number; there was too little left for him to count.
"It was carnage," he said. "Those 25-milimetre rounds are big projectiles, and they were incendiary rounds, so they exploded on contact. If you hit someone with that, they completely disappear."
After Rousseau made a verbal report to his own chain of command, the three Canadians returned to their operations centre at KAF, where they received a very hearty welcome from their mates. Then they hit the gym to blow off some steam. They were back on regular duty the next day.
A small ceremony was held for them Friday outside Task Force Kandahar headquarters. British Air Commodore Gordon Moulds, KAF commander, presented each soldier with a plaque honouring their efforts.
Another British officer read from an incident report, which noted that the "complex attack by insurgents" was "initiated by two rockets fired onto base and a simultaneous attempt to breach the perimeter fence by a suicide borne vehicle IED and six insurgents wearing suicide vests."
The report commended the three Canadians "for their fortuitous positioning and exemplary bravery . . . They should be extremely proud of their actions, which demonstrated the excellence, courage and steadfastness in the face of danger expected of the Canadian military."
Moulds told the men "without doubt what you did on the third of August protected a lot of people."
"This is the fourth complex attack (on KAF) since I arrived here," he added.
In two of the insurgent attacks, he noted, ISAF forces responded and there were no coalition or civilians casualties. In the two other incidents, privately contracted defence forces repelled insurgents, but six civilians were killed and two were injured.
Moulds also gave a brief update on the Aug. 3 assault.
"We arrested 11 people" connection to the incident, he told the three Canadians. Another man was arrested more recently.
"The good news, and I shouldn't say this, he's not in British custody," grinned Moulds. "If he was, he'd have a colour TV (in his cell)."
The latest detainee is instead being transferred to Afghan custody, said Moulds.

Edit: So far as I can see the CBC is not running this story.

WTG Troops!!!  :salute:

Mind you, when the attack happens right in front of your heavily armed position by ill trained and ill prepared fools~~~~  ::)

I'm still laughing at the attempt by these "insurgents"

BYT Driver said:
WTG Troops!!!  :salute:

Mind you, when the attack happens right in front of your heavily armed position by ill trained and ill prepared fools~~~~  ::)

I'm still laughing at the attempt by these "insurgents"

The Taliban and AQ often hire/persuade the mentally challenged to perform acts such as this.
Its a sad commentary on what type of society they want.

Back