• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian 'Prince of Panjwaii' helps local Afghans

• Thread starter Thread starter CrazyCanuck
  • Start date Start date
C

CrazyCanuck

Warrant Officer Dean Henley could be the most popular man in southern Afghanistan, thanks to a silver suitcase that has earned him the nickname "Prince of Panjwaii."

The suitcase is packed with money for locals, who are paid $5 a day to clean schoolyards, or dig out ditches and canals.

Officials have employed about 500 so far.

"I think almost everybody knows who I am, they give me big smiles and waves," Henley told CTV News. "Everybody calls me Dean."

While five dollars a day isn't much, for many it makes a difference about what their families can eat for a week.

The idea is to give Afghans just enough money that they won't become dependant on the Canadians for work.

On one occasion, Henley passed 3,000 Afghani bills to a local supervisor for 10 days of labour.

The supervisor then handed over a share to a peasant named Safula, who gladly took it in his rough hands.

"People are really poor here," Safula said. "We got hurt a lot by the bombing so we need more work."

Henley, a reserve soldier, works as a school teacher in Canada. He's in Afghanistan for half a year, but says he'll stay longer if he's needed.

"I gave up six months of my life to come here," he said.

"I lost friends in the fighting. I think we're doing a really good job."

Meanwhile, Canadian troops are trying to get funding from NATO to repair a dilapidated school near Kandahar Airfield.

The school has no toilets and part of the roof has fallen in, while electricity and water only works for one hour each day.

The school was built in the 1980s as an apartment building for the Soviet Army, and officials are hoping for permanent repairs.

Canadian soldiers have given the school regular supplies, and recently brought along French engineers to check the building's condition.

But one student said what the school really needed was a better source for power.

"If you want to help our school, just bring one big generator for this building," Kaleemulah told The Canadians Press.

With a report by CTV's Paul Workman and files from The Canadian Press

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070119/prince_afghanistan_070119/20070119?hub=Canada

Keep up the good work, and best of luck to everybody who's making a difference :salute:

Quite interesting, upon coming home from work tonight they were talking about this on the news. Kudos to Officer Henley for giving the Afghan people this opportunity not only to learn some skills, but the ability to be able to take care of thier families.

Rebecca

I know Dean quite well. He is a real character. Cheers to him.

Good article but can someone tell me how he gave up 6 months of his life to go there??

I think that being a reservist, he "gave up" 6 months of his civilian life.  Remember, the msm just loves to provide us with contextual and accurate quotes ;)

Dean is a reservist and volunteered to go on this mission. He put his career on hold for six months.

on hold for 6 months?
From the time he volunteered till the time he gets back home, he will have been away for something more like an entire year.

Actually geo, you are quite correct. I forgot about work up training.

I don't mean to be picking a fight, but sometimes we reservists get a bad wrap from the full timers.

Yeah, we don't do it all the time, because we have other jobs.  After working with a reg force rifle company I can tell you this, every other job I've had (civilian) was harder, for less money, and less gratification.  If I had to choose between framing houses and doing dry wall for half of my current contract, or sitting around in the platoon area and waiting for something to do, in the way of comfy work, I'll sit in the platoon area.

I realize, as does every soldier reg or reserve, when we work, WE WORK.  There is no job like the military; You have to work hard when you have to work, you're fed, clothed, sheltered and paid... and the little bit that you pay for all that (barracks and mess) is peanuts compaired to rent, mortgage, groceries (cost of living) in a city.  Yet with all this in mind, not everyone is cut out for the Regular forces, and some people fit in to it like a glove.

When a regular force soldier goes on tour, their family understands the risk completely as they fully know what their spouce or loved one has signed up for, and they have a network and community around them for support.

When a reservist goes on tour both the soldier and their families are kept relatively in the dark (not on purpose). We don't know where we will be or what we will be doing until we're with our organizations for tour.  Even then, nothing is set in stone; We are constantly scrutinized by our regular force peers cause we're part timers. (eg. I had a pte. with 3 years in and no courses teach me how to use a coleman stove and lantern 'cause my section commander didn't think we had them in the reserves... said pte lit him self on fire and subsiquently destroyed the lantern and stove.  My self and another reservist then taught him how to use them.)

The families of reservists on tour have little or no network or community around them and have to rely on the Deployment support centre phone numbers for info, which, any one who's been on tour know, are pretty close to useless as all the information is out of date(due to OpSsec and PerSec) and lines are always jammed. 

When a regular force soldier goes on tour, he's doing exactly what he/she signed up for, and is not leaving a job to do it.

Most reservists on tour have either left school (put on hold), usually post secondary, and / or a job, usually taking a pay cut so that they can commit some time to a tour.  Not to say that they aren't doing exactly what they (we) signed up for, just that most reservist are giving up quite a bit to go on tour.

Either way, Regular or Reserve, we all fight together, we all bleed together and sometimes we die together.  And when the tour is done, the regular force soldier continues being a regular force soldier (not always) and the reservist has to pick up a civilian life that may or may not be there when we get back.

So I agree; he put his life on hold, the same as I did. the same as every other reservist and even the same as every other regular force soldier.

The issue some of us face now, in the case of my self and the other wounded reservist who was with me, is what do we do when our contract is done. This is the issue all reservists face after tour.

Anyway,  thats enough ranting for me... and like I said, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just saying we all put our lives on hold, and with reservists sometimes its two lives (Military and Civilian).

Piper!
Relax, no one is picking on anyone..........

Sounds like "The King of Krasna" in a way... Wonder if he'll get an "indie" CTV made-for TV "movie" about his job too.

Either way, he was rolling with quite the entourage when I saw this item on TV. Looked like a full platoon almost to secure the briefcase. And, uh, you know, the WO as well.

My hat is of to you reservist's. I served 3 years with a reserve unit as a reg force cadre and it was quite and experience. The people were hard working and dedicated to their unit. I was treated very well by everyone and my time there was very memorable. They held down a regular civilian job + parading weekly, exercicing on weekends, course and deployments etc.

As reg force we do it all the time but we don't hold down other jobs or have other responsabilities outside of the military, besides our families. A reservist has to balance all three and hope they have a job to go back to after being away for upto a year.

EDITED: Never mind, massive thread drift...

Interesting story. It's good to hear this kind of development stuff being reported more often.

retiredgrunt45 said:
My hat is of to you reservist's. I served 3 years with a reserve unit as a reg force cadre and it was quite and experience. The people were hard working and dedicated to their unit. I was treated very well by everyone and my time there was very memorable. They held down a regular civilian job + parading weekly, exercicing on weekends, course and deployments etc.

As reg force we do it all the time but we don't hold down other jobs or have other responsabilities outside of the military, besides our families. A reservist has to balance all three and hope they have a job to go back to after being away for upto a year.
The other aspect of a reservist's life, once he becomes an NCO or Offr is that, once training ends, he has all that admin stuff he has to sneak in while at work / school or at home.
Having the chief clerk/Adjt/RQMS/Ops WO contacting you at work (office hours) via Phone or email - looking to give or receive instructions on how to deal with something... Paid +/- 37 class A mandays a year but in the thick of it for many more

Good on you WO Henley. I liked the way you handled your moment with the press, makes your Maple Guardian training time seem rather small potatoes.

Let's try to stick to the topic and not what reservists do or do not.

Reservists " do" CIMIC. As far as I know Reg Force stays out of this part of the PRT tasks. Is this still on topic ?

Jed said:
Reservists " do" CIMIC. As far as I know Reg Force stays out of this part of the PRT tasks. Is this still on topic ?

This is actually something I've wondered about for a while, since I had very little contact with CIMIC members, even during work up.  Is CIMIC just Reservists? Are there any Regular force CIMIC in Afghanistan?  I figured it was a mixed bag, or atleast there would be Reg force command and control.

I know there are civilian police and firefighters attached to CIMIC (or PRT), but I've always wondered about the structure of the CIMIC and PRT teams in Afghanistan. Can anyone shed some light (possibly someone who's done a PRT or CIMIC tour)?

As for staying on topic; I don't see how discussing the differences between regular and reserve soldiers on tour is 'going off topic' since it's clearly in the subject mater of the article...

Back