• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Olympic Results

Some interesting facts:

Just looking at the standings now, Canada has nine fourth place finished, which is 3 more than anyone else so far.

We're also ranked 5th if you are accounting for Medal Types (4 Golds with a total count of 15 worth more than 2 Gold and a medal count of 18 for example) but sixth when you just do a straight up medal count.

And, with 4 days left of competition we've got a good shot of getting more medals than we've gotten in previous games (the most being 17, which was in 2002 at Salt Lake City)

Good comments Che.  Also on Saturday they were saying on television that at the halfway point in the games, with 11 medals, it was to that point a best-ever result for Canada.  Flicking channels the same day I hear the NBC commentator say that the US was leading the medal standings with 6 gold medals.  They had the most gold medals, but at the time they were in 6th or 7th place in the overall medal count.  I thought it was an interesting spin.

I've heard a lot of complaints about our athletes choking and missing the medals, because of the number of 4th - 10th place finishes.  I think that it bodes very well for 2010.  I haven't heard too many of the Canadian athletes saying that they are going to retire before 2010, it seems that most are planning to stick around until then.

I've heard a lot of complaints about our athletes choking and missing the medals, because of the number of 4th - 10th place finishes.  I think that it bodes very well for 2010.  I haven't heard too many of the Canadian athletes saying that they are going to retire before 2010, it seems that most are planning to stick around until then

Thts what im thinking, with so many 4th place finishes, it leaves so much in question for the 2010 olympics.

Just look at the age of some of our people. This past weekend I watched a 16 yr old doing the ski jump..he still has at least two more olympic to show up to. Even if he does not do well(just showing up is good in my books)he can get better training and get better and place next time. I've seen alot of young athletes this time around, maybe thats cause I'm watching alot more.

Hey all, Canada just got Gold and Silver in Women's 1500m Speed Skating! That's gotta count for something right?

That matches our medal total from the last games, which was our highest ever.

http://www.olympic.ca/EN/index.shtml
says 17, I guess the other sites weren't updated yet

S_Baker said:
Hey Hunter,

check out his spin:

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0115207.html 

Looks like Norway and the Germanies along with the USSR kicked some serious butt!

Thanks for the link.  Check out East Germany - their medal count is particularly impressive, considering the relatively short time that they competed as a separate country from West Germany.  Interesting to see the difference between the totals for East & West Germany.

As far as Canada goes, this one Olympics is going to increase Canada's total medal count by 20%!  So much for being a national embarrassment.   :cdn: :salute:

Shame about the men's hockey team losing today.  But on the flip side I think it's great that even with NHL players in the Olympics it's not a guaranteed Canada-US game in the finals.  Our national passion is now a truly international sport.  I'm rooting for Switzerland now.  Since Canada and the USA are out, I think it would be great to see the underdog make it into the Gold medal game.

Hunter out.

edit - been drinkin' a bit...too many spellelling mistakes.  ;D

Is it just me or does Steve Podborski sound a lot like Scott Thompson from Kids in the Hall?  He sounds like he should be hosting figure skating instead.

No, we did as well as the Canadian Olympic Committee expected.

So our atheletes met standard....In PER terms, that would not get them promoted.

The potential for 2010 though...

Outstanding.

Back