• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Combat Engineers train ANA Sappers

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
More progress toward a capable and independant ANA:
Canadian engineers teach demolition to Afghan unit
Updated Mon. Nov. 10 2008 1:07 PM ET
The Associated Press
On CTV.ca

CAMP HERO, Afghanistan -- In a country where danger constantly lurks underfoot and around every corner, members of the Afghan National Army are getting a crash course from Canadian soldiers in the delicate art of handling high explosives.

Warrant Officer Wade Osmond makes crude hand gestures to a young Afghan recruit who's learning the basics of the trade at Camp Hero, the Afghan National Army base just beyond the confines of Kandahar Airfield.

"Tell him to prepare his M-16 igniter. Just tell him - remember, you can squeeze this together to make it easier to come apart," Osmond, of 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont., says to an interpreter.

"This soldier has done it once before already, so this is reconfirmation of his training so he already understands exactly what I'm saying to him. You're going to pull - remember, on the word 'fire,' it's 1, 2, 3 on fire."

Three recruits at a time learn how to set a charge on a half-kilogram of C-4 plastic explosive, all under the watchful tutelage of their Canadian trainers, including Osmond and Chief Warrant Officer Craig Grant.

A series of three loud explosions, accompanied by a mushroom-shaped cloud of dust, brings cheers and laughs from the participants.

Blowing stuff up is fun, after all.

The Afghan engineers were taking part in a basic demolitions range designed to allow them to better support their fellow Afghan National Army soldiers, said Capt. Jeff Allen, who oversees the training.

"It's part of a three-week skills camp that we're doing with the ANA sappers to bring their technical proficiency up to a level in which they can be more useful in deployed operations," Allen said.

"Basic demolitions won't give them the skills to use demolitions as an effective tool such as breaching or explosive digging, but it will also give them the knowledge and recognition of components and the safety that goes along with it."

There are 45,000 soldiers in the Afghan National Army. The Canadian team is mentoring 3,000 of them, and the United States and the Netherlands are also involved in training - a vital element of NATO's exit strategy for Afghanistan.

Mentoring in the past has involved combat troops, police and auxiliary police. Now it is the engineers' turn.

No one questions the bravery of the Afghan soldiers, Osmond said. It's their skills that need refinement.

"These soldiers are braver than you could imagine," he said. "To see them go down a road with a mine detector, (which) they weren't sure they could use at that time, takes a lot of courage."

Nonetheless, there have been challenges, not the least of which has been the fact most of the Afghan soldiers are poorly educated.

"I can translate the information, but they're not necessarily going to be able to read," Osmond said.

"One of the other hurdles is they can't read a measuring tape, which is important to this but also important to the rest of the training we are doing, which is construction."

Confidence, however, is one thing the 30 trainees didn't seem to lack.

"It's easy," Naseer Ahmad, 21, said with a smile. Working with explosives doesn't bother or frightens him, he added.

"Why would I come in here if I was afraid?"

That bravado can be an issue, Allen acknowledged.

"They're surprisingly confident - sometimes too confident," he chuckled. "We don't have to be shy about saying, 'Hey, you guys are weak in this area,' but we don't talk down to these guys. These guys have been fighting since they were kids."

The mentoring is part of the NATO goal of training the Afghan security forces to the point that they can look after their own country.

"It's coming along really well," Allen said.

"If these guys can enable their fellow Afghan National Army guys to move around the battlefield and defeat the enemy, then they're an enabler - they're a bonus."

How many were in Pakistan 20 years ago, teaching Afghan refugees the same skills?

Seems like we're going in circles...

What the?

Who let Osmond play with explosives again.... ;D

dapaterson said:
How many were in Pakistan 20 years ago, teaching Afghan refugees the same skills?

I would certainly would not say that.  You are referencing a time when we trained humanitarian deminers.  Today we are training Combat Engineers that will fall into the larger ANA organization.  The spectrum of skill sets are different as is the role of the pers being trained.  Additionally, back then we were not making an effort toward COIN, Stability Ops or reconstruction.  The only way this is going in circles is if you only focus on a single incomplete part of the puzzle and do not put it in context of the greater picture. 

SprCForr said:
Yep, the very same.
I he still making all the new sappers learn all the engineer songs?  ;D
Nothing wrong with that. But that is one thing I remember about him, a MCpl back then when I left, at every function or gathering he would go to the new sappers and ask them to sing one of the many songs...
I wonder what songs he is teaching the afghans.

About the job, it must be pretty difficult with the language barrier and illiteracy that is common over there.

cheers,
Frank

Don't know if he still does that to new Sappers or not.
I wouldn't be suprised if he was, after all, we did it to him.

;)

ANA sappers train with ISAF mentors
NATO news release PR# 2008-741, 26 Dec 08
News release link

081226c.jpg

The military engineers of 1 Brigade, 205 Corps, Afghan National Army, have completed an important program of training in the use and safe handling of explosives and related materials with mentoring from the ISAF Operational Mentor and Liaison Team (OMLT). The training was conducted at Camp Hero in November 2008.

The Afghan sappers learned to use plastic explosives for destroying unexploded ordnance such as mines and roadside bombs. Canadian Warrant Officer Wade Osmond, of 2 Combat Engineer Regiment in Petawawa, and Master Corporal Marcus Wisotzki, of 33 Combat Engineer Regiment in Ottawa, also taught search and clearance procedures for dealing with mines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and techniques for building fortifications.

The explosives course at Camp Hero was one of the first delivered to ANA field engineers. The techniques taught on the course are important because insurgents often use roadside bombs and IEDs to disrupt the work of Afghan government authorities, the International Security Assistance Force, and relief agencies.

“Combat engineering is an essential task and a key enabler of any army,” said WO Osmond. “The trained sappers will be able to help fellow soldiers move around the battle space more effectively in order to defeat the enemy.”

The course began with a formal review of the basics. A measuring tape, for example, is a foreign object to most Afghan soldiers, but it is an essential tool for working with explosives. If your explosive charge is to detonate at the right time, and neither too early or too late, its time fuse must be cut to precisely the right length, for the length of the fuse determines the length of time from ignition to detonation. The simple class on using a measuring tape also came in handy during the construction phase of the course.

Using trust, patience, ingenuity and a healthy dose of outside-the-box thinking, the Canadian instructors worked hard to build a rapport with their Afghan students. They had to use language assistants to convey their knowledge and skills, and interpretation slowed the teaching process a little, but the Afghan soldiers’ high motivation and eagerness to learn ensured results as good as the instructors would achieve with new Canadian sappers.

The explosives course at Camp Hero demonstrated the great respect that runs both ways between the ISAF mentors and their Afghan students, and this positive learning experience has fostered lasting friendships between allies.

“Afghan National Army soldiers are learning to become a 21st century military fighting force,” said MCpl Wisotzki. “These men risk their lives, and the lives of their families, to do something they believe in — to create a safe and stable Afghanistan.”

Just gotta say how proud of I am of My Sapper he is there and doing this I am proud of all of you  :cdn:

Thank you...... :yellow:

dapaterson said:

20 yrs ago was totally different. The emphasis was on teaching civilians how to recognize and avoid getting hurt by mines and EO. Now they are teaching the sappers how to do it properly in a combat environment in addition to the other things sappers do.

Chimo

PanaEng as one of those that was there 20 years ago, I can tell you the program had two aspects; one being delivered by the female Engineer Officers along the lines you indicate, and the other taught to Afghan males (the majority of which were Mujahideen), which basically was a full program covering all aspects of mine and UXO clearance on the full range of ordnance prevalent in Afstan.  This included live ranges. The proper term was MCTT, Mine Clearance Training Teams (US/Brit/NZ/Aus and Cdn) ..there is no doubt that the training the Muj were given helped them immensely....I will leave it there.

Old fart out.

old fart said:
PanaEng as one of those that was there 20 years ago, I can tell you the program had two aspects; one being delivered by the female Engineer Officers along the lines you indicate, and the other taught to Afghan males (the majority of which were Mujahideen), which basically was a full program covering all aspects of mine and UXO clearance on the full range of ordnance prevalent in Afstan.  This included live ranges. The proper term was MCTT, Mine Clearance Training Teams (US/Brit/NZ/Aus and Cdn) ..there is no doubt that the training the Muj were given helped them immensely....I will leave it there.

Old fart out.
Still, the official line was to teach civilians how to avoid and clear their fields - I have no doubt that it went beyond that however; thanks for the reminder (that was one of the most exciting missions for a long time and every sapper would have cut their left n** to go; there are pictures of mr. A***t, still in circulation, wearing a shalwar-kameez and local hat :-) ).
Had it been stated that the purpose was to train the Muj. the Soviets would have vetoed the UN mission (it was a UN mission)

So, it is possible then that some of the skill that were taught  then are used against us now?

cheers,
Frank

Frank, it did not go beyond anything...the program had two parts as indicated and the Afghan males were without a doubt primarily Muj...simple as that.

Best regards, old fart.

ANA Mentoring on Demolition Range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXiB7hd9wk

Back