• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army Compass (Suunto)

• Thread starter Thread starter gorf
  • Start date Start date
c4th said:
Maybe not, but I don't think you need an advanced indirect fire course to know that it is probably a good idea to know what ground you are flying over.  It would be damn inconvenient to interfere with falling rounds.

Thats the navigator's job.......but i do still carry a map.  Although you would be kinda hard pressed to find droping artillery rounds in the middle of the atlantic !!  Mind you we have restricted areas and advisory areas to worry about.

Anyways...back to compasses and those who don't know how to use them  ;D

48Highlander said:
quic/detailed map study and plotted your routes then you should have memorized all your bearings and distances too, in which case you won't need to see the gridlines either.   So might as well use the blue light, right?

Sure, in that case use white light.

if you did your quic/detailed map study and plotted your routes then you should have memorized all your bearings and distances too, in which case you won't need to see the gridlines either.  So might as well use the blue light, right?

If you're going to plan along those lines, you'd might as well not carry your map, either.  :P

The fact of the matter is that sh-- happens. Saying "I wont need to see my gridlines because I have my bearing and distance" is like saying "I only need 3 mags because we're only expecting light resistance". Everyone makes mistakes, so you'd might as well expect to re-plot your route during a nav-check on the fly. I'll admit that it might be possible to see your blue grid lines through a different shaded blue lense, but it can't be as fast or as effective as using a red lense with a hole in it. Especially when you're gone any amount of time without sleep. So why mess around?

As for red impact zones, they're usually pretty big. Unless you're totally right outv'er you'll know they're in your area well in advance. Its like finding yourself in front of a lake and saying "Oh shi--!! where did this come from?!?!" ::)

Back