• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army Compass (Suunto)

• Thread starter Thread starter gorf
  • Start date Start date
Goober said:
Then why are all the compasses issued to SQ students at Gagetown tritium compasses?

Like i said.......tritium compasses were no longer to be issued ( at least in gagetown).  I went trough the whole fiasco at MSA in Gagetown over this when someone mixed one tritium compass with the newer ones.  That was not a pleasant experience.  At any rate say and beleive what you want, i had severly pissed people with paperwork flying in my face .......tritium compasses were OUT......i'm  not getting this as second hand info !!  But hey, things change daily so....

Ghostwalk said:
As for the actual NAV itself, get used to reading landmarks. If you can look at your map and see that from point A to point B you'll cross a road at 150m and pass some ruins (that are all over the place in Meaford) on your right hand side at 300m you'll build confidance in yourself and in your map and compass. If you can cut up a 400m leg into 2 or 3 150m "mini-legs" you're golden. Just be aware the blacktracks and forests are not often the best landmarks. Even if your map is only a few years old, the training area is always changing.

I can personally attest to that, since the 1990 Meaford map shows roads, which are now blacktracks, and shows blacktracks, which are now actually roads, it can really play tricks on your mind.  Especially when your instructor wonders where the fuck your going, because he KNOWS its a road now, and your silly ass is looking for a blacktrack which just aint there, and wondering where the hell the road came from...at night. 

gravyboat said:
What amount of radiation is safe? Especially if it's a little particle sitting in your lung or digestive tract.

I don't know what amount is safe, that's why I asked, admitedly, none is preferable, but there are plenty of radiation hazards floating around in our every day lives  which are considered "acceptable"... because I've been told varying things about the danger levels of the Tritium used in the scopes and compasses... both the official stance and else... I mean, if there's a safer alternative to tritium, then I'm all for it of course, but there's also an acceptable level of risk if said level of risk is minimal...

The reason I ask is because after looking it up, Tritium does not in-fact release alpha particles, but instead weaker beta particles, and indeed, tritium is one of the weakest radio active particles, with a relatively short half-life... if you're looking for some information, read the EPA website http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/tritium.htm

On the replacement compasses, do they glow as well as tritium without the hazard? If so, then by all means, bring on the new compasses ;)

Just a Sig Op said:
On the replacement compasses, do they glow as well as tritium without the hazard? If so, then by all means, bring on the new compasses ;)

I have a tritium-free one and i have never had any problems at night with it

The GTLS used in these compasses is safe, and if broken open indoors, the drill is open the windows for 15 mins and leave the room. And outside there is no drill as far as I know. Its a lower than low radhzard.

I don't see what the panic is about GTLS, they are even in your ELCANs, and US issue watches (which are made in Canada BTW), plus numerous Arty and Mortar eqpt too.

Sounds like some pencil necked safety geek is going a bit to anal over it all.

Anyways, I gotta get to the Unit, its already just after 0600 here on a cool autumn Monday morning. Enjoy your springtime Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,

WEs

I have no problem with people being anal with regards to safety, all for it in fact... perhaps you can give us a definitive answer then? Are tritium compasses supposed to be removed from the system? And does the amount of tritium present in a single compass pose an actual health risk to it's user?

Gorf said:
*snip*

Also in a few weeks I will be doing my Navigation Ex. in Meaford, any hints, tips or tricks at all?

*snip*

For night ops, use a yellow highlighter to highlight your route (or anything else you'd like to read clearly); when viewed under a blue filtered flashlight, you can see it quite clearly.  As a plus, the blue light will not totally screw up your night vision, and as a double plus, it works to 'charge' luminous markings better than 'white' light does.

Give it a try before you complain... ;)

Give it a try before you complain...

No, don't give it a try.

How do you expect to see the blue grid squares and numbers at night, through a blue filtered flashlight? Believe it or not, those are essential to land navigation. On that note, don't use a green filter either, because you won't see treelines.

Ghostwalk said:
No, don't give it a try.

How do you expect to see the blue grid squares and numbers at night, through a blue filtered flashlight? Believe it or not, those are essential to land navigation. On that note, don't use a green filter either, because you won't see treelines.

And don't use the red one unless you want to walk into an impact zone :P

Solution?  Carry a multi-LED flashlight so you can switch betwee different collors with the flick of a finger.

Just take something pointy, like the end of your knife, and drill a small hole in the centre of any of your coloured lenses. The amount of white light that escapes is negligable, but will allow you to see ALL the features on your map, when held close.

The other option is for everyone to use a different coloured lens. When they are all shone at the same spot on the map, they blend and allow the full spectrum of colours to show.

Here endeth the lesson. ;)

recceguy said:
Just take something pointy, like the end of your knife, and drill a small hole in the centre of any of your coloured lenses. The amount of white light that escapes is negligable, but will allow you to see ALL the features on your map, when held close.

The other option is for everyone to use a different coloured lens. When they are all shone at the same spot on the map, they blend and allow the full spectrum of colours to show.

Here endeth the lesson. ;)

Exactly ! I've never felt the need to buy a gucci flashlight.  A good old right-angled flishlight with a red filter is all i ever needed.  Never wandered into an impact zone either.  I guess a poor craftsman blames his tools  ;D

Sounds like the compass thread turned into a flashlight thread. But in regards to the safety of the tritium compasses, unless your rubbing the needle all over yourself it shouldn't be too much of a health risk. I'm sure the amount emissions from the MLVW that gets you to your starting point are more dangerous. :)

And besides if the compass face is broken enough to let tritium particles out that compass is now junk and shouldn't be used anymore anyway.

:salute:

Ghostwalk said:
No, don't give it a try.

You are aware that different shades of blue will show up under blue filtered light, right?

Try it.  If it does not work for you, post back explaining why, what you can't see, the type of map & light...relevant info.  I'd rather help you find a way to make the tip work than have a non constructive flame war...

Gorf said:
Also in a few weeks I will be doing my Navigation Ex. in Meaford, any hints, tips or tricks at all?

Yup, three:

1.  Know your pace
2.  Bearing NOT back-bearing
3.  Aim off.

Take it easy.  If you panic you will be lost.

aesop081 said:
Exactly ! I've never felt the need to buy a gucci flashlight.   A good old right-angled flishlight with a red filter is all i ever needed.   Never wandered into an impact zone either.   I guess a poor craftsman blames his tools   ;D

ohhh, why you....

ofcourse you never wandered into an impact zone.  there aren't too many impact zones in the sky!  and how the hell could you flyboys get lost in the first place; you've got enough electronics around you to make you sterile, I should hope that at least one of those gadgets will keep you on course :)

so alright, I've never wandered into an impact zone either, but I HAVE accidentaly crossed roads which I could have avoided or at least planned for if I'd been using a blue light.  Granted, I learned the poke-a-hole-in-the-filter trick on my leadership course which helped, but I still prefer using blue light.

48Highlander said:
Granted, I learned the poke-a-hole-in-the-filter trick on my leadership course which helped,

Probably learned about quick map studies and detailed map studies too.

c4th said:
Probably learned about quick map studies and detailed map studies too.

I was about to say that !!

48Highlander said:
ohhh, why you....

ofcourse you never wandered into an impact zone.   there aren't too many impact zones in the sky!   and how the hell could you flyboys get lost in the first place; you've got enough electronics around you to make you sterile, I should hope that at least one of those gadgets will keep you on course :)

so alright, I've never wandered into an impact zone either, but I HAVE accidentaly crossed roads which I could have avoided or at least planned for if I'd been using a blue light.   Granted, I learned the poke-a-hole-in-the-filter trick on my leadership course which helped, but I still prefer using blue light.

No too many impact areas in the sky....but there were alot of them in petawawa, wainwright, suffield and gagetown, places i was booting around during my 11 years as a sapper.

Dammit :P  Allright, I know when I've been beaten.

On the other hand....eh, if you did your quic/detailed map study and plotted your routes then you should have memorized all your bearings and distances too, in which case you won't need to see the gridlines either.  So might as well use the blue light, right? :D

Eh, in the end it just comes down to personal preference.

aesop081 said:
No too many impact areas in the sky....

Maybe not, but I don't think you need an advanced indirect fire course to know that it is probably a good idea to know what ground you are flying over.  It would be damn inconvenient to interfere with falling rounds.

Back