• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canada's military: Invisible no more"

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
"Why our national mythology has moved beyond the idea of peacekeeping and embraced the culture of the warrior":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadas-military-invisible-no-more/article1372117/

A great difference made in teh last decade, but when sterotypes about CF members are overcome then I'll believe some actual progress has been made...

If you havn't seen any actual progress made in the last decade it is only because you don't choose to see it. Does everyone have to run around praising the military for it to be "actual progress" because that isn't ever going to happen.  I see a far greater awareness of the CF in Canada today - yes alot is still some what ill-informed and even confused but they are AWARE which is a huge step up from when I was a young troop.

But that's just my opinion

There has been a tremendous amount of progress made in the last decade as the article points out.  The wow factor for me is that our country's intellectuals are starting to take note of it, as are limited members of the media.  If this trend continues for another 10 years, then I beleive we will be well on our way to positioning the CF in a more realistic light with our population.

Teflon said:
If you havn't seen any actual progress made in the last decade it is only because you don't choose to see it. Does everyone have to run around praising the military for it to be "actual progress" because that isn't ever going to happen.  I see a far greater awareness of the CF in Canada today - yes alot is still some what ill-informed and even confused but they are AWARE which is a huge step up from when I was a young troop.

I dont disgree with your statement, there has been actual progress over the past ten years- but is it enough is what I question.    From the position I am working from, there has been little or no progress at all - stereotyping of military members (and ex-members) still interferes with job opportunities and recognition of achievements, which has remained unchanged... you might think it cynical or defeatist but it is ongoing and a constant battle...

I don't really see the interference with job opportunities and recognition of achievements you seem to think persists maybe some examples might help me see what your getting at. Not being an ex-member looking for post-military employment I might be blind to it but from what I've seen with friends retiring is nothing close to  interference, their past service being nothing but a plus. As to stereotyping well - they exist for a reason (all based at least on the tiniest kernel of truth) and we all know a ton of members who do their damnest to live up to the "stereotype"

Back