• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canada cuts non-Christian prison clerics"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Highlights mine....
Canada's Conservative government has announced it is only going to pay Christian chaplains for federal penitentiary visits beginning next April.

Last month, Public Safety Minster Vic Toews ordered a review of the use of paid chaplains. He concluded from it penitentiaries should use the same model as the Canadian military does in which Christian chaplains accommodate members of all faiths, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

After April 1, there will be 80 full-time chaplains serving penitentiaries. Between now and then, 49 contracts for all part-time chaplains will be canceled, composed of 31 Christians and 18 non-Christians, the government said.

Conservative Member of Parliament Candice Bergen told the House of Commons it was a logical decision and wasn't a snub to other faiths.

"The Canadian [military] have used this type of chaplaincy program for years," she said. "If it is good enough for our armed forces, then it is good enough for inmates in our federal penitentiaries." ....
UPI, 9 Oct 12

Here's the House of Commons exchange from Friday's Hansard:
Hon. Irwin Cotler (Mount Royal, Lib.):  Mr. Speaker, the government is cancelling the contracts of non-Christian chaplains in federal prisons, thereby requiring inmates of other faiths to turn to Christian chaplains for religious guidance. The minister says he “is not in the business of picking and choosing which religions will be given preferential status”, but by providing funding only for Christian chaplains, he is doing precisely that.

Will the minister recognize this contradiction, reinstate funding for chaplains of all faiths, and uphold the values of freedom of conscience and religion, and equality before the law, as enshrined in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

Ms. Candice Bergen (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Safety, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, the Government of Canada strongly supports freedom of religion for all Canadians.

Last month the Minister of Public Safety asked for an immediate review of the chaplaincy program to ensure that taxpayers' dollars are being used wisely and appropriately. Upon reviewing the program, it was determined that changes were necessary so that this program supports the freedom of religion of inmates while respecting taxpayers' dollars.

Convicted criminals will continue to have access to religious services of their choice on a voluntary basis.

More accurately, they're cutting part time positions. That just over half of these are non-christian is immaterial. Correlation does not imply causation.

"If it is good enough for our armed forces, then it is good enough for inmates in our federal penitentiaries." ....

Then the reverse should be true.  Bring on the conjugal visits for deployment.....  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Then the reverse should be true.  Bring on the authorized conjugal visits for deployment.....  ;D

TFTFY  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Would proof of marriage be required?  ;)
To each other?  >:D

I don't think you people are giving this discussion of our poor, oppressed inmates the attention it deserves.

Journeyman said:
To each other?  >:D

I don't think you people are giving this discussion of our poor, oppressed inmates the attention it deserves.

pffft....

My question would be, why are we funding religious activities at all?  If the clerics wish to service their flock, it should be done on their own dime.

eurowing said:
My question would be, why are we funding religious activities at all?  If the clerics wish to service their flock, it should be done on their own dime.

My guess is, they wouldn't want to volunteer to give clerical services in a prison, let alone do it if their own organization were paying them. Therefore, the only way to meet the needs of a wide range of religions in the prison system, the CSC has to beg for and pay people to provide services. After all, it's a government job. Nice benefits, pension, salary.

eurowing said:
My question would be, why are we funding religious activities at all?
  :nod:

...but then, I don't have a mythical being who insists I ring doorbells and pester people, tells women what to do with their bodies, or insist on what I can/cannot eat. He/she/it certainly doesn't claim that eveybody else is a heretic worthy of death.

$(KGrHqJHJDME63ZMUdQ(BO1q8q!mRg~~60_35.JPG

My guess is, they wouldn't want to volunteer to give clerical services in a prison, let alone do it if their own organization were paying them.

Hmm.....I noticed there's a consistant theme to statements at sentencing/parole time, in that they have got'n religion while incarcerated. Well, gee, if they have "gone to Jesus", why not spread a little of that around within the institution......your part timers were there all along....all religions, colors, make, model, creed.......

GAP said:
Hmm.....I noticed there's a consistant theme to statements at sentencing/parole time, in that they have got'n religion while incarcerated. Well, gee, if they have "gone to Jesus", why not spread a little of that around within the institution......your part timers were there all along....all religions, colors, make, model, creed.......

Inmate Seminary School for Sentence Reduction and Rehabilitation?  ;D

PrairieThunder said:
My guess is, they wouldn't want to volunteer to give clerical services in a prison, let alone do it if their own organization were paying them. Therefore, the only way to meet the needs of a wide range of religions in the prison system, the CSC has to beg for and pay people to provide services. After all, it's a government job. Nice benefits, pension, salary.
Listening to an Imam here locally on radio the other morning about this.  He is not happy he cannot go and do his thing for his people.  He also was not happy the other "non christian" folks were getting short sheeted as well.  He said that Muslims were not being allowed to meet together to have faith meetings so they could not even be self sufficient amongst themselves.  I don't know if he was getting any remuneration for his services as I missed the first part of his interview.

jollyjacktar said:
Listening to an Imam here locally on radio the other morning about this.  He is not happy he cannot go and do his thing for his people.  He also was not happy the other "non christian" folks were getting short sheeted as well.  He said that Muslims were not being allowed to meet together to have faith meetings so they could not even be self sufficient amongst themselves.  I don't know if he was getting any remuneration for his services as I missed the first part of his interview.

Well good for him if he's going things out of the goodness of his heart. If the CSC is truly preventing even volunteers, then I'm a little disappointed.

I understand that Prisoners have rights just like any other citizen.... Actually I'm not going to continue my thought because A) It was silly B) Human Rights.

That is all.

Back