• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can NE1 write normal?

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

EDMONTON -- OMG! Ppl sure don’t no how 2 rite NEmore!

Translation: Zounds! People’s grasp of written English has degenerated to an appalling state!

If you don’t believe me, just ask city cops, who these days are forced to wade through so-called “textspeak” (or “txtspk”) in witness statements and auto collision reports filled out by the public.

“Sometimes it’s almost unintelligible,” says Sgt. Maurice Brodeur, who runs a patrol squad in the city’s southeast division. “We look at it and just have to laugh.”

Brodeur has received messages so laden with baffling textspeak that he’s had to phone his kids and ask them to translate terms, which these days can be as arcane as NE1 (anyone), F2T? (free to talk?) or even ROTFLMAWTIME (rolling on the floor laughing my a-- off with tears in my eyes).

Brodeur says it’s a sign of the times.

“There’s no question, (textspeak) is creeping into the language,” acknowledges Sgt. Tony Simioni, head of the Edmonton police union. “But as long as we can understand what they’re saying, we can work with it.”

Of greater concern, he says, is making sure that young police recruits don’t do the same thing.

“People don’t realize how much of our job is writing,” he says, “and we have to maintain a very high standard.”

That’s Const. Ashley Emerson’s job. He trains new recruits how to properly write reports.

Potential recruits must pass an essay and grammar test before they’re even accepted into the police department, but even after that they spend a lot of time honing their writing skills.

More on link

Excellent idea.  Perhaps they should start doing this in schools.  Wasn't it Alberta where they had to pass a penmanship class to graduate?

Maybe they should actually teach the three "Rs" in school. I am seeing more and more high school graduates come into the office with transcripts that have useless credits on them. No math or English. Instead they have 2 or 3 credits from a course called "Navigating the Workplace".

I have no idea what this is but it's easy to tell who is going to pass the CFAT just from looking at the HS transcripts. These are our future leaders. Lord help us!!

FDO said:
Maybe they should actually teach the three "Rs" in school. I am seeing more and more high school graduates come into the office with transcripts that have useless credits on them. No math or English. Instead they have 2 or 3 credits from a course called "Navigating the Workplace".

I have no idea what this is but it's easy to tell who is going to pass the CFAT just from looking at the HS transcripts. These are our future leaders. Lord help us!!

Here you go FDO.....

Navigating the Workplace, Grade 12, Open (GLN40)

This course provides students with opportunities to develop the workplace essential skills and work habits required for success in all types of workplaces. Students will explore occupations and careers of interest through participation in real workplace experiences. They will make plans for continued learning and work, work with others to design learning experiences, and investigate the resources and support required to make a smooth transition to their postsecondary destination.

Pmedmoe: I know here in Ontario at least, gr 10 students need to write the OSSLT (Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test) to pass highschool, It's rather long test (took me up to 3 and a half hours to complete it last year) witch is basically doing an essay with a provided topic, and complete an newspaper article from a picture, and grammar, punctuation (witch I still suck at), and reading articles/ story's, and answering questions. So there is a test out there in Ontario.

brandon_ said:
Pmedmoe: I know here in Ontario at least, grade 10 students need to write the OSSLT (Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test) to pass high school, It's rather long test (took me up to 3 and a half hours to complete it last year) which is basically doing an essay with a provided topic, and completing a newspaper article from a picture, and grammar, punctuation (which I still suck at), and reading articles/ story's, and answering questions. So there is a test out there in Ontario.

niteshade:  :-[    oppps, I should have checked over it better.....

and like I said, I'm not the best at grammar, I'm terrible with capitalization.

NFLD Sapper said:
Here you go FDO.....

Navigating the Workplace, Grade 12, Open (GLN40)

This course provides students with opportunities to develop the workplace essential skills and work habits required for success in all types of workplaces. Students will explore occupations and careers of interest through participation in real workplace experiences. They will make plans for continued learning and work, work with others to design learning experiences, and investigate the resources and support required to make a smooth transition to their postsecondary destination.

Tanks bye!

I still don't see how this helps with the basics of education. This looks a lot like CO-OP. I can see it being good to see what education is needed to do a particular job. But isn't grade 12 a bit late for that? I can see this course being better done at the grade 9 or 10 level. In grade 12 it smacks of a "bird credit"

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

From Failbooking:

funny-facebook-spellcheck-ad.png

FDO said:
Tanks bye!

I still don't see how this helps with the basics of education. This looks a lot like CO-OP. I can see it being good to see what education is needed to do a particular job. But isn't grade 12 a bit late for that? I can see this course being better done at the grade 9 or 10 level. In grade 12 it smacks of a "bird credit"

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Nail on the head there. I remember in grade 11 (and then through grade 12) they started chasing after certain students every day and putting them in certain courses or giving them "fill in the blank" type modules to gain enough credit for high school. In the end if you were a few credits short they gave them credits anyway.

The goal now is to give them a high school diploma not educate them.

PMedMoe, that's pure gold.

Back