• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bush dodges shoes thrown at him in MidEast trip

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Secret Service: GET HIM GET HIM!

HE's GOT...He's GOT...a SHOE!!!!  ;D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7782422.stm

A surprise visit by US President George Bush to Iraq has been overshadowed by an incident in which two shoes were thrown at him during a news conference.

An Iraqi journalist was wrestled to the floor by security guards after he called Mr Bush "a dog" and threw his footwear, just missing the president.

The soles of shoes are considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture.

During the trip, Mr Bush and Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki signed the new security agreement between their countries.

The pact calls for US troops to leave Iraq in 2011 - eight years after the 2003 invasion that has in part defined the Bush presidency.

Speaking just over five weeks before he hands over power to Barack Obama, Mr Bush also said the war in Iraq was not over and more work remained to be done.

His previously unannounced visit came a day after US Defence Secretary Robert Gates told US troops the Iraq mission was in its "endgame".

'Size 10'

In the middle of the news conference with Mr Maliki, a reporter stood up and shouted "this is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog," before hurtling his shoes at Mr Bush, narrowly missing him.

PREVIOUS BUSH VISITS TO IRAQ

Nov 2003: Serves Thanksgiving dinner to troops in Baghdad
June 2006: Meets new Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki
Sept 2007: Visits Anbar province - former stronghold of Saddam Hussein

"All I can report is a size 10," Mr Bush said according to the Associated Press news agency.

The shoe thrower was taken away by security guards and the news conference continued.

Correspondents called it a symbolic incident. Iraqis threw shoes and used them to beat Saddam Hussein's statue in Baghdad after his overthrow.

'American security'

Mr Bush's first stop upon arriving in Baghdad was the Iraqi presidential palace in the heavily-fortified Green Zone, where he held talks with President Jalal Talabani.

"The work hasn't been easy but it's been necessary for American security, Iraqi hope and world peace," Mr Bush said during his talks with Mr Talabani.

The Iraqi president called Mr Bush "a great friend for the Iraqi people, who helped us liberate our country".

The BBC's Humphrey Hawksley, in Baghdad, says the key issue at present is exactly how American troops will withdraw within the next three years and what sort of Iraq they will leave behind.

George Bush is received by President Jalal Talabani
The US media has just published details of a US government report saying that post invasion reconstruction of Iraq was crippled by bureaucratic turf wars and an ignorance of the basic elements of Iraqi society.

The report is circulating among US officials in draft form, says the New York Times.

It reveals details of a reconstruction effort that cost more than $100bn (£67bn) and only succeeded in restoring what was destroyed in the invasion and the widespread looting that followed it, the newspaper said.

Troop promises

Mr Bush's visit, unannounced in advance and conducted under tight security, follows the approval last month of a security pact between Washington and Baghdad that calls for US troops to be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of 2011.

The security must of been slack to let someone in with a unconcealed weapon.

Marshall said:
The security must of been slack to let someone in with a unconcealed weapon.

Yeah....letting people in the room with their shoes. What was security thinking?

::)

I loved watching the secret services rush in from behind the presidents.  There's at least four who come through the side door, another four who took the guy down, and some more at the front :p

I noted in the MSM how this one dude was representative of all Iraq.  What of the other journalist, sitting ahead of him, who after seeing one shoe fly by his head, turned, and tried to stop the second shoe, then approached the guy, apparently to stop him.  Of course, the Secret Service got to dude first (too bad for him!)

But, seriously, I did enjoy President Bush's reaction to all this, saying words to the effect that it was definately a size 10!

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah....letting people in the room with their shoes. What was security thinking?

::)

They've used unconventional ways to attack in the past, why not shoes?  :threat:

Marshall said:
They've used unconventional ways to attack in the past, why not shoes? 

Sure, shoes have been used for other things, too:

shoe_phone.jpg

I noted two things: 1) the guy had pretty good aim, and 2) the President had pretty good reactions!

deserved to be beaned with both  :pop: lmao
                            scoty b

wildman0101 said:
deserved to be beaned with both  :pop: lmao

Are you saying Bush deseved this?

Kindly explain yourself please.

OWDU

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/12/20081215144834440817.html
Free Bush shoe-thrower, Iraqis urge 

The two shoes narrowly missed the US president as he gave a news conference in Baghdad

Thousands of Iraqis have demonstrated in Baghdad's Sadr City in support of a journalist being held in custody after throwing his shoes at George Bush, the US president.

Muntazer al-Zeidi was detained for what the Iraqi government on Monday said was a "barbaric and ignominious act" during a news conference the previous day.

The outgoing US leader, who was making a surprise visit to Baghdad, had just told reporters that while the war in Iraq was not over "it is decisively on its way to being won," when al-Zeidi got to his feet and hurled abuse - and his footwear - at Bush.

Bush, who had been giving a joint press statement with Nuri al-Maliki, the Iraqi prime minister, ducked behind a podium as the shoes narrowly missed his head.

"Millions of Iraqis or rather millions of the people of the world wish to do what Muntadhar did," Uday al-Zeidi, Mundathar's brother, said on Monday.

In Video

Bush caught in shoe attack

"Thank God he had the guts to do it and avenge the Iraqi people and the country from those who plunder it and have killed its people."

Al-Baghdadiya television, his employer, has demanded his release after Yasin Majeed, the prime minister's media adviser, said al-Zeidi would be tried on charges of insulting the state.

An Iraqi lawyer told the AFP news agency that Zeidi risked a miminum of two years in prison if he is prosecuted for insulting a visiting head of state.

Freedom of expression

On Monday, al-Baghdadiya suspended its normal programming and played messages of support from across the Arab world.

A presenter read out a statement calling for his release, "in accordance with the democratic era and the freedom of expression that Iraqis were promised by US authorities".

Iraqis have hailed
Zeidi's actions [AFP]
It said that any harsh measures taken against the reporter would be reminders of the "dictatorial era" that Washington said its forces had invaded Iraq to end.

Demonstrations also took place in the southern city of Basra and Najaf, where some people threw shoes at a US convoy.

Khalil al-Dulaimi, Saddam Hussein's former lawyer, said he was forming a team to defend al-Zeidi and that around 200 lawyers, including Americans, had offered their services for free.

"It was the least thing for an Iraqi to do to Bush, the tyrant criminal who has killed two million people in Iraq and Afghanistan," he said.

"Our defence of Zeidi will be based on the fact that the United States is occupying Iraq, and resistance is legitimate by all means, including shoes."

In Iraqi culture, throwing shoes at someone is a sign of contempt and the incident is likely to serve as a lasting reminder of the widespread opposition to the US-led invasion of Iraq - the conflict which has come to define Bush's presidency.

"Throwing the shoes at Bush was the best goodbye kiss ever ... it expresses how Iraqis and other Arabs hate Bush," Musa Barhoumeh, editor of Jordan's independent Al-Gahd newspaper, wrote.

But support has not been entirely universal and some Iraqis believe al-Zeidi crossed the line.

"I deem it unnecessary. This thing is unjustifiable. It is an incorrect style. We are not violent. One can voice his opinion in other ways," one Baghdad resident said.

Robert Wood, a US state department spokesman, dismissed the incident saying that al-Zeidi was "trying to get attention for himself" and had ignored Washington's successes in Iraq.

"This was one incident and one individual's views, but if you look at the direction we are heading in Iraq now, it's a very, very positive direction and we hope to see that continue," he said.

Bush's visit to the Iraqi capital came just 37 days before he hands the presidency over to Barack Obama, who has vowed to withdraw troops from Iraq.

Foxhound said:
No longer there at the request of AP®. :P

It's still on www.radio-canada.ca for the moment
at no 3 : "Incident de George W. Bush en Irak: sécurité de haut niveau?" (in the RDI section in gray).

I think he was fast at dodging it. Projectiles wouldn't be on my mind at a press conference ...

Add : Iraq rally for Bush shoe attacker

"and his shoes were being held as evidence, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity."

30 days seems to be the Canadian standard.

Ralph Klein, cream pies and the limits of political protest

Modern law courts taking dim view of slapstick stunts

Calgary - Canadian courts are not laughing along with individuals who think throwing pies at public figures is a good way to get a chuckle or make a political statement.

Christopher Peter Geoghegan, 24, who hit Alberta Premier Ralph Klein with a cream pie last last July 7 at a Calgary Stampede breakfast, pleaded guilty to an assault charge Wednesday in provincial court.

Now the Crown is asking for a 30-day jail sentence. The protester will find out Aug. 23 whether he ends up behind bars.

Crown prosecuror Harold Hagglund says a jail sentence is warranted because Goeghegan slammed Klein in the face with "sucker-punch" force.

"The accused felt somehow he was licensed to act by the superiority of his (political) views," Hagglund said. "Citizens in a democracy expect their leaders to address them and be approachable ... (pie attacks) have a chilling or freezing effect in respect to our politicians."

Chretien pied in P.E.I.

Jack Kelly, Goeghegan's lawyer, downplayed the event, saying his client regretted the episode and should be let off with a suspended sentence and a period of probation.

Several supporters accompanied Goeghegan to court, handing out leaflets listing "10 reasons" why Klein deserved to be pied. Some also carried pie-shaped placards accusing Klein of assaulting the environment, health care and the poor.

It was the latest in a series of pie incidents targeting public figures in Canada.

Evan Wade Brown was found guilty of assaulting then Prime Minister Jean Chretien with a cream pie on Aug. 16, 2000, in Charlottetown. Brown was given 30 days in jail but he was released after just eight, and eventually had his sentence reduced to a conditional discharge.

Other incidents have targeted Jean Charest, now the premier of Quebec, former federal cabinet minister Stephane Dion, former Quebec premier Jacques Parizeau and Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay.

The Alberta Federation of Labour set up a Justice For Pies fund to pay for Geoghegan's legal defence. A spokesman said Wednesday it contained $1,000.
  Source

Marshall said:
They've used unconventional ways to attack in the past, why not shoes?  :threat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid_(shoe_bomber)  Yup.

Yrys said:
I think he was fast at dodging it. Projectiles wouldn't be on my mind at a press conference ...

Notwithstanding POTUS's superhuman shoe-dodging abilities, to be fair, the guy did kind of attract attention to himself before launch.  I would have been ready to duck, too. ;D

owdu,,
          it was a joke... like maxwell smart and the shoe,,,or like the secret service (omg) he's
got a shoe.... my personal opinion, i thought it would be funny if he actually got binged with 2
shoes... historically it's the worst insult... attachments to follow... as per my credentials boyo
                                                                            scoty

wildman0101 said:
owdu,,
           it was a joke... like maxwell smart and the shoe,,,or like the secret service (omg) he's
got a shoe.... my personal opinion, i thought it would be funny if he actually got binged with 2
shoes... historically it's the worst insult... attachments to follow... as per my credentials boyo
                                                                            scoty

Sorry mate, no hard feelings.

Cheers,

Wes

Back