• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bump beside the knee

acclenticularis

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a bump beside my knee that has been there for some time.  Has always been quite small.  Anyway, during PT on Friday I pushed a little hard and then did a 20 km run that night.  Yesterday morning I noticed that the bump has gotten bigger.  I will go to the MIR on Tuesday, however, I just thought I would see if others have had this problem.  The bump is on the left knee, completely on the left side and toward the bottom of the knee.  Forgot to mention that the bump is just over one inch in diameter and I am unsure of what it was before.

I had the same thing on my right knee, but one time it was knocked out of joint, and the bump left. But I don't know what caused it, fluid I think. So what do you want to know? How to treat it or what?

As I said, I will be getting it looked at on Tuesday.  Until then, I thought I would just see if anyone else has had this happen.  I realize that others' bumps could be completely different from mine (re. cause); just seeing if this is a common thing is all.  Not interested in how to treat it.

it's not that uncommon to see swelling around the knee in the Infantry, especially after a few years and a few pounds. I am glad you're getting it looked at, though. It's usually nothing, but it may be something you can stop now, before it gets serious.

How do you run? What I mean is, what's your running form like? Have you looked at my thread on PT? It contains advice on the proper form to use. Running properly can prevent injury and improve performance significantly.

Thanks for the info.  Paracowboy, I will look at your info. re. running.  I run rather loosely, never pounding the pavement.  My gait is the same for the whole run, except hills.  I should look into info. re. running down hills, I could be putting too much pressure there ... although I am not sure.  Anyway, I will check out your posts.  Thanks again.

Apparently it is a bursa sac problem.  According to the doc., it will go away soon.  Thanks for the info.  And I have digested the running advice from Paracowboy.  So, hopefully I will avoid injuries in future.

Actually, it never did hurt.  But, if they drained all of the fluid, yes I am sure that would be painful.  I don't understand much about the knee and didn't know that draining fluid would mean all of the fluid rather than just the excess.  So, I will be wary if it is mentioned.  Thanks again.

If you think of that little sack of fluid as if it was a water balloon, then you'll realize the problems of draining it.  Have you ever stuck a needle in a water balloon and drained off just a little bit?

Point taken.  Thankfully, there was no mention of draining it.  Apparently, it should go away naturally, according to the physician.  I take it others have had it drained and suffered as a result.  Was the pain experienced long term?  And did things eventually right themselves?

The doc. mentioned the ice, but nothing about a tensor.  Thanks for the info., I will use a tensor as well.  Anything to get better as soon as I can.

I had something like that once. Turned out it was a calcium deposit and it went away on its own. It never caused me any problems - it just looked funny.

And out of which cereal box did you all get your medical degrees from?

::)

I could not nor would not hazard to guess what it is before asking a whole bunch more questions, and maybe even looking at it, and doing a few special examination tests.

Sounds a little like someone is coming due for a barium enema AND a colonscopy (without the benfit of sedation of course) :-*.

MM

Cepacol is only administered for complaints above the waist.  Motrine is the preferred treatment for anything from the waist down.

Back