• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BSERE training coming up next month, any suggestions?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bo
  • Start date Start date

Bo

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally getting out of the office and into the infamous bunny-killing land survival course!

So, do any of you have any suggestions on what I should bring? What to expect? I still can't beleive I have to kill a bunny  :-[.

You're going in May? Bring lots of socks and bug juice. I'm not sure when black fly season starts, but you don't want to be out in the woods with wet socks and no bug juice if the black flies are out in force.

Other than that, that's what kit lists are for, bring it all.

Bo said:
I still can't beleive I have to kill a bunny  :-[. 

Are you mad?!
Those rabbits have got a vicious streak a mile wide! They're the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodents you ever set eyes on! Check out the documentary, Monty Python and the Holy Grail !!

It's you or the bunny, young L T .....and you aren't going to have any Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to save your ass! So tough up.

300px-Killer_rabbit.JPG

DIE BUNNY DIE!!!!!!  :threat:

Just finished the April serial of BSERE.

I would suggest bringing the CADPAT stuff on the joining instructions. It is going to be wet and ichy. Some guys did wear their flight suits but most did not.

Stick to the joining instructions and you will be fine.

Baby wipes would be helpful. Gerber tool too.

Bograt said:
Just finished the April serial of BSERE.

I would suggest bringing the CADPAT stuff on the joining instructions. It is going to be wet and ichy. Some guys did wear their flight suits but most did not.

Stick to the joining instructions and you will be fine.

Baby wipes would be helpful. Gerber tool too.

If you ever need your SERE skills.....it wont be bacause you crashed dressed in CADPAT.......

Train as you fight

Well, that is one perspective of BSERE. With this course the school provides a choice of flight kit and CADPAT. Your stuff is going to get ripped, torn, and shredded. I haven't seen the joining instructions for ASERE- they maybe more particular for that course.

Maybe I keep some CADPAT stuff in my B25 kit.  ; 

Bograt said:
Well, that is one perspective of BSERE. With this course the school provides a choice of flight kit and CADPAT. Your stuff is going to get ripped, torn, and shredded. I haven't seen the joining instructions for ASERE- they maybe more particular for that course.

Maybe I keep some CADPAT stuff in my B25 kit.  ;   

And if i bail out of my airplane overland...i'm not reaching for my B25 as i jump.  In the summer do you fly with your B25 onboard ?  I'm guessing you dont.  Do i bring my B25 on flights ? No.

i may be looking at this all wrong but if you are not going to have it when you crash...why train with it ?

Airforcematters said:
And if i bail out of my airplane overland...i'm not reaching for my B25 as i jump.  In the summer do you fly with your B25 onboard ?  I'm guessing you dont.  Do i bring my B25 on flights ? No.

i may be looking at this all wrong but if you are not going to have it when you crash...why train with it ?

Have you done the BSERE course? This is a <i>basic</i> course designed to introduce aircrew from a variety of platforms with basic survival skills (ie land nav, fire, hunting/gathering, evasion, comms, shelter, signals). This is not a Pathfinder or Recce course. To extend your logic to its conclusion, why were we then permitted to have a bivvy bag and sleeping bags? 

The expertise of SARTec instructors has determined that it is okay to have the kit. The course is continually reviewed by the CF to ensure that it meets the NATO STANORD 7030 and provides aircrew with basic survival skills.

I think many of us chose the CADPAT stuff for the following reasons:
1. It was dry. (No rain kit for Aircrew)
2. It was flexible. The weather at Springer Lake has been -30 to +30 in April.
3. It was expendable (we all wear our flight kit everday- why destroy it in the swamps of Manitoba)
4. It was replaceable- Have you tried to get a flight suit lately?
5. It was permitted.

If you have a problem with what CFSSAT has determined, may I humbly suggest that you write a memo and submit it through your chain. Let me know how it goes.

Bograt said:
Have you done the BSERE course? This is a <i>basic</i> course designed to introduce aircrew from a variety of platforms with basic survival skills (ie land nav, fire, hunting/gathering, evasion, comms, shelter, signals). This is not a Pathfinder or Recce course. To extend your logic to its conclusion, why were we then permitted to have a bivvy bag and sleeping bags? 

The expertise of SARTec instructors has determined that it is okay to have the kit. The course is continually reviewed by the CF to ensure that it meets the NATO STANORD 7030 and provides aircrew with basic survival skills.

I think many of us chose the CADPAT stuff for the following reasons:
1. It was dry. (No rain kit for Aircrew)
2. It was flexible. The weather at Springer Lake has been -30 to +30 in April.
3. It was expendable (we all wear our flight kit everday- why destroy it in the swamps of Manitoba)
4. It was replaceable- Have you tried to get a flight suit lately?
5. It was permitted.

If you have a problem with what CFSSAT has determined, may I humbly suggest that you write a memo and submit it through your chain. Let me know how it goes.

Bograt...no need to get your knickers in a knot, i was just making a point for discussion.  :threat:

yes i have tried to get a flight suit recently without problem

No, i have not yet done basic SERE, thank god but after 11 years of runing around the bush digging trenches and fighting bugs, i'm pretty sure i have a good grasp on training in the boonies or training in general for that matter.

You brought up the B25 kit and i showed you why IMHO you shouldnt ever count on it.  You want to turn this into a pissing contest, i have loads of time my freind. we both been down this road before and i though we had this sorted out, the tone of your response was unecessary.  to follow yourt logic i could ask you where your wings are and what qualifies you to tell me how aircrews should train. Like i said maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but as my boss chose to use against me this week, i'm not a new guy anymore and i base my opinion on more experience that a few days in manitoba.

regardless, point taken

Cheers

LOL. Had I know it was you I would have been even more snarky. When was the name change.

I finished BSERE on Wednesday. Flew home on Thursday night, arrived in Newfoundland Friday morning, traveled to the ferry for a midnight crossing last night and drove 6 hours to Halifax with 2 kids under three, a yellow lab, and a wife who had to forge my signature for my taxes. No excuse for my tone, but I am sure you understand.

Not the first time I had to publically apologize to you. I owe you a couple of beers at the COHO.

Cheers,

Bograt said:
I finished BSERE on Wednesday. Flew home on Thursday night, arrived in Newfoundland Friday morning, traveled to the ferry for a midnight crossing last night and drove 6 hours to Halifax with 2 kids under three, a yellow lab, and a wife who had to forge my signature for my taxes.

I'm going to be laughing all night now buddy....thanks, i needed that

Airforcematters said:

I guess that's all a matter of perspective isn't it?

CAD Ords state that it shall be carried for all overland flights where the overnight temp is forecast to be below 0 degrees. You're thinking like a fixed wing, uh, guy. See, in a helo, when something goes wrong, we land at the first suitable area that we can fit into. Sports field, road, clearing in the trees, etc, even a frozen lake if need be. We always have our B25 kit with us when the overnight temp is going to be low and we will always be able to use it since we don't bail out as you put it.

In my B25 kit I have my CADPAT Coat, Bunny Pants, Mukluks, Mitts and a Toque. So why wouldn't I train with that stuff? If it's warm enough that I don't need to carry B25 kit, I'm probably not going to need a parka or bunny pants so it doesn't matter if I've got them now does it?

Anyways, just a different perspective and since I am the pilot, I'm right, now make me a peanut butter sandwich!  ;D

My understanding is that the objective of the course is to teach basic survival skills. It's not a simulation of a down in the bush event. Dress warm, dry and practical so you can learn the necessary skills in comfort.
When I attended the course it looked like the instructors main objective was to keep a bunch of city kids from mutilating themselves with knives and axes.

beenthere said:
When I attended the course it looked like the instructors main objective was to keep a bunch of city kids from mutilating themselves with knives and axes.

We don't use axes. They are too dangerous. Instead we have 6 inch retractable hand saw. At first I thought i was ridiculous, until the solo phase when there were times I said to myself " Uhhhh Boggy, this is pretty stupid what you are doing..." (ie walking around at night with your shoes untied, on a slippery rock face, while dragging a log to place on the fire.

I guess people get kind of stupid and careless with no food after a while. The instructors said they took away the axes because there are too many fingers in the woods without owners.

Bograt said:
The instructors said they took away the axes because there are too many fingers in the woods without owners.

You are joking right ?

I never saw them (pun intended) but you can feel them staring at you while you sit by your fire at night.

I seem to remember that axes were used to chop feet and legs while  knives were primarily for hand cuts and occasionally to gash thighs.
The instructors could fairly predict the hour that the injuries would happen. No doubt from taking a look at the students and considering the phase of the course it wouldn't be rocket science. "This afternoon we'll be building bird traps--first knife work. Within the first 15 minutes Gibby will skewer himself." 8)

Actually it's a fun course.They don't expect to turn anyone into Mr. Survival Expert. It's only about how to live with less than you would normally have for a few days and how to keep comfortable and safe. Comfort is important when you are removed from all of the man made things that we are so very dependant on.  You have to build your own little comfort zone so that you can keep warm and dry. If you're warm and dry you'll be in good spirits. Good spirits makes for happy campers.
I did mine in April in Alberta and it was a great break from regular work. Lots of peace and quiet in the forest. Never killed anything but time and never got hungry. I cheated a bit by stashing 6 or 8 tea bags so I could have a couple of extra mug ups by the fire ;)  Enjoy your time and relax.

The best two nights of sleep I ever had were suring BSERE.  No lie!

It's sort-of like camping for dummies.  Suggest you bring some cards for the evenings and maybe a book.  During the solo phase you can't bring any of that with you though.  As for the flight suit/CADPAT thing, if you have a two piece flight suit, wear that if you prefer.  I've learned never to go in the bush with a one piece -- or toilet paper!  Remember, those napkins in the IMPs are two ply and very big and can last a long time if you tear them right.  They used to be 3 ply.  Guess they went cheap.

Back