• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Army Recruits to Train with 'Call of Duty' Games

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Gamers should check this out.      Shared with provisions of The Copyright Act

British Army Recruits to Train with 'Call of Duty' Games
http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/274431/20111230/ministry-defence-develops-war-games-new-recruits.htm
Vinod Yalburgi, 30 Dec

In an effort to provide virtual war simulated training to new recruits, the Ministry of Defense has proposed the development of war games along the lines of popular commercial versions like Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.

The British Military is expected to benefit from the cheap production costs of war games compared to actual weapons training with aircraft, tanks and explosive rounds.

The soldiers are reportedly used to playing console versions of high-quality commercial games and would expect their training software include similar realism with high-end graphics to spur any interest. This has become an important matter of concern at the MoD, as it strives hard to acquire more digital solutions to prepare its soldiers for real-time war scenarios.

Taking a leaf out of thousands of soldiers trained for Afghanistan War with simulated war games, the British generals plan to fund in the development of more war games like BattleSpace 2 in the near future. Modern day FPS bestsellers such as Battlefield 3, Killzone 3 and Call of Duty series have been the major inspiration for the latest developments within the MoD's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory in Portsdown, Hampshire

Taking a cue from the vastly advanced modern combat techniques depicted on the contemporary First Person Shooters, Andrew Poulter, technical team leader at MoD, intends to reproduce those skills in the training course.

Further reaffirming the importance of FPS war games in military training, reports disclose his leadership commitment in Project Kite (Knowledge information test environment). The project intends to place simulation training at the forefront by procuring new simulation technology from the big game companies.

The stage is set for Poulter and his nine member team to evaluate new combat and weapons techniques, so that the virtual warfare emulates the real-world situation. The weapons and vehicles used in the game are expected to perform as per merit, offering the true recoil and bullet drop distance as would be in a real-world war scenario. "Realism is more important than entertainment. Levels of immersion are very important," states Poulter.

The main motto of the simulated training course is to make the soldiers think about their strengths and weaknesses while spending those extra 10 minutes rehearsing on underdeveloped skills.

Revealing one of the commander's experiences during Afghanistan's war scenario, two recruits had reportedly benefited from the simulated training and could save their own lives when under heavy fire across the enemy lines.

Coming soon to a CFRC near you...........PLAR request for someone's CoD rank and weapon's quals.

In a few years VP will be changed to formally utilize the vocabularies of the new recruits;

"31B, 31A: U r a f** lolz, over"..."31A, 31B: Stfu noob, I'll pwn u!"

Did I get that right? I don't have formal SLT in that.

CDN Aviator said:
Coming soon to a CFRC near you...........PLAR request for someone's CoD rank and weapon's quals.

You owe me a new monitor.

Just wait til they find out that they can't carry 20 rockets, 3000 MG rounds, 60 grenades, 500 pistols rounds and that air/arty strikes aren't instantaneous; all while running across 5 km of desert at a rate of 30 km/hr.

We have used Virtual Battle Space 2 (VBS2) for patrolling, Cbt Tm and FOO training and I think it is a good training tool; can't imagine using it for recruits though, other than maybe Plt Comds.

If used correctly, there is very little actual gameplay, and the actual fighting only lasts and hour or so; maybe more if you tie your Cbt Tm into a larger scenario in JCATS.

The real value is the planning and issuing of orders; the execution is usually very short. 

I don't think this is really anything shocking or new - the USMC used the original Doom way back in the early nineties, and helped pioneer VBS1 (which was a heavily modified version of the commercial game. Operation Flashpoint).

There is some merit to this as an added tool, just like the SAT. Just as the SAT does not replace real rounds down range but can help diagnose the poor techniques used by shooters, a combat simulator could help develop team skills.

What I am more concerned about with something like this is: What will it look like when Cpl Bloggins is in charge of running this simulation and could care less about it? It is one thing to run a program with highly motivated people, but what will it look like down the line on the armoury floor?

NinerSix said:
There is some merit to this as an added tool, just like the SAT. Just as the SAT does not replace real rounds down range but can help diagnose the poor techniques used by shooters, a combat simulator could help develop team skills.

What I am more concerned about with something like this is: What will it look like when Cpl Bloggins is in charge of running this simulation and could care less about it? It is one thing to run a program with highly motivated people, but what will it look like down the line on the armoury floor?

"1; 12C, contact, wait out."
"12C, Contract, GR 123 456, thousands of zombies, pwning now, over."

Brihard said:

At least the VP is correct.  >:D

Brihard said:

And what contract would that be?

;D

Effective immediately, a request for supplies out in the field will be reffered to as a "request for care package".......CAREPACREQ

CDN Aviator said:
Effective immediately, a request for supplies out in the field will be reffered to as a "request for care package".......CAREPACREQ

:rofl:

So, joking aside, no one sees any potential benefits in this? Is this not an expanded version of a flight simulator? Are those useless too?

recceguy said:
So, joking aside, no one sees any potential benefits in this? Is this not an expanded version of a flight simulator? Are those useless too?
There are many potential benefits.  As already stated, there are many First Person Shooter (FPS) games that are being used.  The skill is in using the games correctly with well-defined training objectives.

recceguy said:

Honestly I see it more useful at a leadership role with problem solving. As for the FNG's,  "hardship" has it benefits. 

TN2IC said:
Honestly I see it more useful at a leadership role with problem solving. As for the FNG's,  "hardship" has it benefits.
There's a time for hardship, but I hightly doubt that CoD or any other FPS would be used to teach them how to do station jobs, or drill at the halt. 

Remember, not everyone is an infantryman whose primary duty is to run around shooting people in the face.  An FPS game could be very useful for teaching other skills.  But best of all, it garners the interest of the student and can be skillfully manipulated to ensure that said student learns the objectives of whatever the lesson is.

Technoviking said:
There's a time for hardship, but I hightly doubt that CoD or any other FPS would be used to teach them how to do station jobs, or drill at the halt. 

Remember, not everyone is an infantryman whose primary duty is to run around shooting people in the face.  An FPS game could be very useful for teaching other skills.  But best of all, it garners the interest of the student and can be skillfully manipulated to ensure that said student learns the objectives of whatever the lesson is.

Not everyone is an infantryman. But some of us, like myself, believe in Soldier First, Tradesmen second. I believe this program of a game is more design for a leadership role. IED strike, or even recovery in the mental health department.

The FNG's need the drills over and over. Now if the "hardship" drills are done physically and then computer wise, I would more agree more over. Better teaching aid for them to understand the situation.

Back