• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brad/Chelsea Manning: Charged w/AFG file leak, Cdn angles, disposition (merged)

• Thread starter Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date Start date
Be advised that some comments and photos at NY Times link may be inflamatory.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Early Struggles of Soldier Charged in Leak Case

By GINGER THOMPSON
Published: August 8, 2010

LINK

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — He spent part of his childhood with his father in the arid plains of central Oklahoma, where classmates made fun of him for being a geek. He spent another part with his mother in a small, remote corner of southwest Wales, where classmates made fun of him for being gay.

Then he joined the Army, where, friends said, his social life was defined by the need to conceal his sexuality under “don’t ask, don’t tell” and he wasted brainpower fetching coffee for officers.

But it was around two years ago, when Pfc. Bradley Manning came here to visit a man he had fallen in love with, that he finally seemed to have found a place where he fit in, part of a social circle that included politically motivated computer hackers and his boyfriend, a self-described drag queen. So when his military career seemed headed nowhere good, Private Manning, 22, turned increasingly to those friends for moral support.

And now some of those friends say they wonder whether his desperation for acceptance — or delusions of grandeur — may have led him to disclose the largest trove of government secrets since the Pentagon Papers.

“I would always try to make clear to Brad that he had a promising future ahead of him,” said Daniel J. Clark, one of those Cambridge friends. “But when you’re young and you’re in his situation, it’s hard to tell yourself things are going to get better, especially in Brad’s case, because in his past, things didn’t always get better.”

Blond and barely grown up, Private Manning worked as an intelligence analyst and was based east of Baghdad. He is suspected of disclosing more than 150,000 diplomatic cables, more than 90,000 intelligence reports on the war in Afghanistan and one video of a military helicopter attack — all of it classified. Most of the information was given to WikiLeaks.org, which posted the war reports after sharing them with three publications, including The New York Times.

WikiLeaks has defended the disclosure, saying transparency is essential to democracy. The Pentagon has denounced the leaks, saying they put American soldiers and their Afghan allies in grave danger.

And while that dispute rages on, with the Pentagon having recently demanded that WikiLeaks remove all secret documents from the Internet and hand over any undisclosed materials in its files, Private Manning is being held in solitary confinement at Quantico, Va., under suicide watch.

Private Manning’s military-appointed lawyer, Maj. Thomas F. Hurley, declined an interview request.

Much remains unknown about his journey there from Crescent, Okla., the small town where he was born. But interviews with people who know him, along with e-mail exchanges between him and Adrian Lamo, the computer hacker who turned him in, offer some insights into Private Manning’s early years, why he joined the Army and how he came to be so troubled, especially in recent months.

“I’ve been isolated so long,” Private Manning wrote in May to Mr. Lamo, who turned the chat logs over to the authorities and the news media. “But events kept forcing me to figure out ways to survive.”

Survival was something Private Manning began learning as a young child in Crescent. His father, Brian Manning, was also a soldier and spent a lot of time away from home, former neighbors recalled. His mother, Susan Manning, struggled to cope with the culture shock of having moved to the United States from her native Wales, the neighbors said.

One neighbor, Jacqueline Radford, recalled that when students at Private Manning’s elementary school went on field trips, she sent additional food or money to make sure he had something to eat.

“I’ve always tried to be supportive of him because of his home life,” Ms. Radford said. “I know it was bad, to where he was left to his own, had to fend for himself.”

At school, Bradley Manning was clearly different from most of his peers. He preferred hacking computer games rather than playing them, former neighbors said. And they said he seemed opinionated beyond his years about politics, religion, and even about keeping religion out of politics.

In his Bible Belt hometown that he once mockingly wrote in an e-mail had “more pews than people,” Private Manning refused to recite the parts of the Pledge of Allegiance that referred to God or do homework assignments that involved the Scriptures. And if a teacher challenged his views, former classmates said, he was quick to push back.

“He would get upset, slam books on the desk if people wouldn’t listen to him or understand his point of view,” said Chera Moore, who attended elementary and junior high school with him. “He would get really mad, and the teacher would say, ‘O.K., Bradley, get out.’ ”

It was something he would hear a lot throughout his life.

After Private Manning’s parents divorced, he moved with his mother to Haverfordwest, Wales, her hometown, and began a new chapter of isolation. Haverfordwest is several times bigger than Crescent. It is also centuries older, with traditions that run much deeper. A bustling market town, it offered a pace of life that was significantly faster.

Former students at his school there, Tasker Milward, remembered Private Manning being teased for all sort of reasons. His American accent. His love of Dr Pepper. The amount of time he spent huddled before a computer.

And then, students began to suspect he was gay.

Sometimes, former classmates said, he reacted to the teasing by idly boasting about stealing other students’ girlfriends. At other times, he openly flirted with boys. Often, with only the slightest provocation, he would launch into fits of rage.

“It was probably the worst experience anybody could go through,” said Rowan John, a former classmate who was openly gay in high school. “Being different like me, or Bradley, in the middle of nowhere is like going back in time to the Dark Ages.”

But life ahead did not immediately brighten for Private Manning. After his troubled high school years, his mother sent him back to Oklahoma to live with his father and his older sister.

He was hired and quickly fired from a small software company, where his employer, Kord Campbell, recalled him as clean-cut and highly intelligent with an almost innate sense for programming, as well as the personality of a bull in a china shop. Then his father found out he was gay and kicked him out of the house, friends said. Mr. Clark, the Cambridge friend, said Private Manning told him he lived out of his car briefly while he worked in a series of minimum-wage retail jobs.

He enlisted in the Army in 2007, to try to give his life some direction and to help to pay for college, friends said.

He was granted a security clearance and trained as an intelligence analyst at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., before being assigned to the Second Brigade 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, N.Y.

Before being deployed to Iraq, Private Manning met Tyler Watkins, who described himself on his blog as a classical musician, singer and drag queen. A friend said the two had little in common, but Private Manning fell head over heels. Mr. Watkins, who did not respond to interview requests for this article, was a student at Brandeis University. On trips to visit him here in Cambridge, Private Manning got to know many in Mr. Watkins’ wide network of friends, including some who were part of this university town’s tight-knit hacker community.

Friends said Private Manning found the atmosphere here to be everything the Army was not: openly accepting of his geeky side, his liberal political opinions, his relationship with Mr. Watkins and his ambition to do something that would get attention.

Although hacking has come to mean a lot of different things, at its core, those who do it say, is the philosophy that information should be free and accessible to all. And Private Manning had access to some of the most secret information on the planet.

Meanwhile, his military career was anything but stellar. He had been reprimanded twice, including once for assaulting an officer. He wrote in e-mails that he felt “regularly ignored” by his superiors “except when I had something essential, then it was back to ‘Bring me coffee, then sweep the floor.’ ”

And it seems the more isolated he felt in the military — he wore custom dog tags that said “Humanist,” and friends said he kept a toy fairy wand on his desk in Iraq — the more he clung to his hacker friends.

According to Wired magazine, Private Manning told Mr. Watkins last January that he had gotten his hands on a secret video showing a military helicopter attack that killed two Reuters photographers and one Iraqi civilian.

In a computer chat with Mr. Lamo, Private Manning said he gave the video to WikiLeaks in February. Then, after WikiLeaks released it in April, Private Manning hounded Mr. Watkins about whether there had been any public reaction. “That was one of his major concerns once he’d done this,” Mr. Watkins told Wired. “Was it really going to make a difference?”

In his computer chats with Mr. Lamo, Private Manning described how he downloaded the video and lip-synched to Lady Gaga as he copied hundreds of thousand of diplomatic cables.

“Hillary Clinton and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack,” he boasted. But even as he professed a perhaps inflated sense of purpose, he called himself “emotionally fractured” and a “wreck” and said he was “self-medicating like crazy.”

And as he faces the possibility of a lifetime in prison, some of Private Manning’s remarks now seem somewhat prophetic.

“I wouldn’t mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much,” he wrote, “if it wasn’t for the possibility of having pictures of me plastered all over the world press.”

Ben Fenwick contributed reporting from Oklahoma City, and Ravi Somaiya from Haverfordwest, Wales. Toby Lyles contributed research.

Manning is a traitor and nothing can excuse betraying one's country.

I don't know if this has been added, but now Amnesty international is getting involved in condemning these leaks

Added with the usual caveats.

This man, needs to give his head a shake.. Really I still cant get over the fact that he seems to be so absolutey blind to the effects of his work...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703428604575419580947722558.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

R933ex said:
I don't know if this has been added, but now Amnesty international is getting involved in condemning these leaks

More than just Amnesty International are waking up to the danger to Afghans named in the material:
A number of human rights groups have criticised WikiLeaks over potentially endangering the lives of Afghans who helped the US military.

Amnesty International, Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC), the Open Society Institute (OSI), the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, and the Afghan office of the International Crisis Group (ICG) ** all joined together to send WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange a letter voicing their concerns, criticising his approach and pushing for a redaction of documents to omit identifying information that could risk the safety of US sympathisers in Afghanistan.

“We have seen the negative, sometimes deadly ramifications for those Afghans identified as working for or sympathizing with international forces,” they wrote, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cites an anonymous source. “We strongly urge your volunteers and staff to analyze all documents to ensure that those containing identifying information are taken down or redacted.” ....

Funny how far Amnesty International's come since last summer, when it was quite pleased with Wikileaks exposing assassinations in Kenya (page 2 under "New Media"),  It took them this long to realize the potential for assassinations in Afghanistan?  Better late than never, I suppose.

** - ICG is an international think tank and crisis monitoring organization receiving about 1/2 its annual operating funding from governments around the world, including ABC (Australia, Britain and Canada) and European countries, as well as New Zealand.  Canada's funding is flowed through the Canadian International Development Agency and the Canadian International Development Research Centre.

While the accuracy of individual pieces of data are certainly questionable, there my be some trending extrapolations that can help to describe the evolution of the Afghanistan conflict:

Open Source Tools Turn WikiLeaks Into Illustrated Afghan Meltdown (Updated)

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/08/open-source-wikileaked-docs-illustrated-afghan-meltdown/#ixzz0wDdPMN2b

Some of the graphs come from this page: http://www.visualisingdata.com/index.php/2010/07/visualising-the-wikileaks-war-logs-using-tableau-public/ (See the Cumulative Casualties by Month graph for a comparison of Taliban casualties compared to NATO, Afghan forces, and civilians.)

There's been some very good playing with the data out there, but one of the questions I have is:  Is this ALL the reports during that period?  What editing filter was the original leaker using to pick/choose material?  Was there selection bias at the collection-before-leak stage?  Apart from the obvious security implications, and problems with some of the reports individually, these questions lead to even more caveats re:  the reliability of the information as a whole.

Loose lips can sink the West
Licia Corbella (Calgary Herald)
The Ottawa Citizen
16 Aug 2010

About one month after Sept. 11, 2001, Osama bin Laden had his favourite television station, Al-Jazeera, run a video of himself warning the United States that more death and destruction were coming.

Other cable news programs started running excerpts of the tape, and shortly afterward, they interviewed an American geologist telling the world that he thought he knew where bin Laden was by using the rock formations shown behind the mass murderer in the video.

Jack Shroder, from the University of Nebraska at Omaha, who had spent years in Afghanistan mapping its mountain regions, said that while he watched the bin Laden video, released after the U.S. started bombing Afghanistan on Oct. 7, 2001, "I turned to my wife and told her, 'I know where he is'."

He concluded that the cave was typical of those found about 200 kilometres south of Kabul in the Paktia or Paktika provinces of the Katawaz basin. It was even mentioned in some newscasts that the U.S. government had brought in ornithologists to try to identify a bird chirp that could be heard on the video.

At which point, just as Shroder had turned to his wife, I turned to my husband and said: "Why is this guy telling the world all of this? Osama bin Laden is going to use this to his benefit."

The U.S. government should have told this geologist not to talk about this with anyone. Clearly, it didn't. It's obvious that bin Laden hadn't considered that he was giving his enemies such valuable clues, but he learned. I don't think I'm alone in noticing that every bin Laden video released since that October 2001 video has been filmed indoors where there are no identifiable geographical features visible.

In other words, by letting this Shroder fella get his 15 minutes of fame, U.S. security forces and the media helped the enemy.

As Second World War posters used to warn in the U.S.: "Loose lips sink ships."

It sure would be nice if westerners could learn just a little bit from people like bin Laden. His propaganda videos are not short, but he never tips us off as to his whereabouts, what his next terrorist attack site is or what military strategy he's planning to employ. He never has to worry that one of his recruits is going to hold a press conference on Al-Jazeera that will help his enemies.

In the West, however, we talk about surges, strategies, withdrawal dates, etc. If I were a soldier, I'm pretty sure I would be screaming "shut the hell up" at the TV on a nightly basis.

Which brings us to WikiLeaks and the more than 90,000 U.S. military documents that have been vomited out across the Internet, something al-Qaeda is known to monitor closely.

U.S. Admiral Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was critical of WikiLeaks' founder Julian

Assange. "Mr. Assange can say whatever he likes about the greater good he thinks he and his source are doing," Mullen said. "But the truth is, they might already have on their hands the blood of some young soldier or that of an Afghan family."

U.S. President Barack Obama, however, tried to play down the importance of the leak: "While I am concerned about the disclosure of sensitive information from the battlefield that could potentially jeopardize individuals or operations, the fact is these documents do not reveal any issues that have not already informed our public debate on Afghanistan."

Several of the files, which date back to 2004 to 2009, track bin Laden; however, the U.S. said it has received no reliable information on him "in years."

Maybe if that geologist had told his information only to U.S. officials instead of the entire world, he'd be caught by now. We'll never know.

Thankfully, it appears that Assange went through all of the documents and tried to avoid posting ones that would endanger our brave NATO troops or those equally brave Afghans and Iraqis who are helping our troops. But it is too soon to know for sure.

Assange is clearly a bright and thoughtful man (reminiscent of the fictional Lisbeth Salander, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the trilogy by late Swedish author and journalist, Stieg Larsson) who has said he vetted the documents to ensure none would pose a threat to our troops or those helping them. But not everyone is as careful or ethical as Assange and this entire event leaves one wondering, what's next? What will the next hacker reveal?

Openness and freedom of expression are among the primary reasons why western societies thrive and innovate whereas the ideology that animates bin Laden and his ilk does nothing but stagnate and oppress those societies that ascribe to it.

But, surely, when it comes to war, we should learn a little bit more discretion -- that, after all, being the better part of valour.

Hope you've all taken your blood pressure medication, this one is a doosey! 

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange describes possibility of casualties as 'acceptable risk'

•Ignores warnings from US
•15,000 documents to publish
•Likely to save "great many" lives

ANY US and allied casualties that result from the publication of classified Afghan war documents would be an acceptable risk, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said today,, saying "such information is also likely to save a great many lives."

US military officials have warned about the danger posed to Afghan informants and others since Assange released 76,000 once-secret war documents.

The founder of the whistleblower website says he will publish the remaining 15,000 documents within a month despite more warnings from the US government.

In a live webchat hosted by the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, Assange was asked how he felt about the possibility that anyone named in those documents could get "hurt or even killed" based on the information in the document dump.

He suggested he was weighing the risk against the benefit.

"As far as anyone can tell, this has never happened," Assange responded.

"When we deal with such serious issues and such (a) large amount of information, we have to accept the risk that it might, but this is balanced by the understanding that such information is also likely to save a great many lives."

Though US officials have said the documents released so far do not reveal anything new, they said the information could nevertheless endanger sources in the Afghanistan field.

Defence Secretary Robert Gates said in an interview this month that the information was published "without any regard whatsoever for the consequences".

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Afghan sources used by the United States could be killed as a result of the leak.

He called the potential for loss of life "significant".

Assange dismissed the blowback during his wide-ranging chat.

He said he was "not afraid" of the US government but said "we should not underestimate the significance of the Pentagon" and US military officials.

Assange said his organisation was taking "appropriate precautions".

Assange expressed concern that the US government could force Twitter, where WikiLeaks has a following, to ban his group and said WikiLeaks has already been placed on a "financial blacklist" in Australia.

Read more about WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange describing the possibility of casualties as acceptable risk at Fox News.

This guy... wow.

I'm not even going to bother, just imagine this post filled with the foulest profanity you can think of

I wonder if him becoming a casualty would be considered an acceptable risk...someone might just tune him in if they ran into him on the street.

MM

medicineman said:
I wonder if him becoming a casualty would be considered an acceptable risk...someone might just tune him in if they ran into him on the street.

MM

That seems to be the running theme on the Fox News comments.

It's reasons like this that I hate and love democracy.

It's fantastic that we have so many rights, that we can make decisions, and that public discourse happens regularly.  These things are nice, and whatever you think about the Governments here in Canada or America, we're doing pretty well for ourselves.

What's frustrating is the sense of entitlement that such liberties and rights have given so many people.  I'm gonna go off on a bit of a tangent.  I apologize up front for that.

I'm not saying I want our military's to operate illegally in the international eye, but I understand that in order to win a war against an enemy who has no trouble playing dirty, you have to be prepared to make some sacrifices.  That's why not all information is released right away.  That's why we aren't told exactly what the SEALS, JTF-2, or some other special forces unit do.  It's why we aren't always told what soldiers on the ground are up to, or what they've witnessed.  We have to accept that we can't know everything, we don't want to know everything, and that in order to effectively neutralize the enemy, there's no way the military will tell us everything.

Most of us have learned to accept that sometimes, the military is going to make a mistake -- there's always going to be that idiot (or group of idiots) who does something that gets the public's attention (prisoner's being poorly treated...  Dogs being tossed off cliffs).

I guess the problem is that in theory it's great to preach honesty, integrity, and transparency in a democracy, but sometimes society needs to accept that the military is a different beast...  It isn't democratic, and it isn't always clean cut.  They do their best.  It's good that we demand so much of them, and I like that we keep'em honest by being so questioning, but there's a time and place for that, and I don't think this is one of them.  I would love to hear more people decry this leak for what it is:  a mess of bullshit that's just trying to stir the pot.  There isn't any integrity in this, it's cocked everything up because the owner's an idiot and still thinks he's in high school and it's cool to stick it to the man.  It reminds me of Jurassic Park, when Dr. Malcolm gives Hammond crap for not using discipline to acquire his knowledge on cloning.  He simply took what others had done and repackaged it and shoved it out the door.  It just seems dangerous, childish, stupid, and immature.

Also, I've had a few beers tonight, so just pretend I'm that loud drunk guy at the pub who keeps shaking his fist and yelling about hoodlums and hooligans.

By this person suggesting that he accepts the risk that some may die "for the greater good", well, this makes him, in my opinion, an enemy of the state, guilt by association, etc. Why this guy hasn't been picked up by "men in black" is beyond me.  Some may suggest that it's "democracy in action".  Bullshit: it's an act of war against us. 

Technoviking said:
By this person suggesting that he accepts the risk that some may die "for the greater good", well, this makes him, in my opinion, an enemy of the state, guilt by association, etc. Why this guy hasn't been picked up by "men in black" is beyond me.  Some may suggest that it's "democracy in action".  Bullshit: it's an act of war against us.
I don't know about that ,but every time this guy opens his mouth I become even more convinced that he is a sociopath and a extreme egotist .We have seen  his kind before presiding over Nazi Germany's Death camps and the Khmer Rouge's killing fields . You hear the selfsame rationalizations from those despicable creatures They're doing what was necessary to bring us all in to a golden age.  Oh and it's always somebody else fault as well!
I view him as an enemy of humanity .

as an addendum: Normally I don't write on these heavy subjects ,I tend to go for the more humorous,.I make snide  sometimes I suspect in the opinion of some stupid comments . I have weird sense of  humor and it tend to come out in my postings .
However I  am deadly serious about this .This man frightens me!
End of serous back to being silly ole' me!

Technoviking said:
By this person suggesting that he accepts the risk that some may die "for the greater good", well, this makes him, in my opinion, ...
I wonder if, in the opinion of a civil court, this statement would make him financially liable to the families of anyone killed because of his information dump?
Some how he is safely evading criminal charges, but I wonder if he would still find this a justifiable risk if his own pocket were to take the hit.

The guy leads a pretty shady life to begin with - moves around alot and the like - so he obviously realizes what he's doing is wrong, morally and legally.  I guess the price for being so much more superior to us mere mortals is social isolation...pity it isn't in a federal prison, or better yet, the national soccer stadium in Kabul after a bumper crop of rocks is harvested from the quarry. 

MM

schadenfreude = pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others  ;D

This from the Associated Press:
A Swedish tabloid says an arrest warrant has been issued for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on suspicion of rape, and officials have issued a statement "confirming media reports."

The prosecutor's office in Stockholm "confirms media reports that a foreign citizen has been arrested in absentia" but doesn't name Assange.

It says the arrest involves one count of molestation and one count of rape ....
The 140-character denial:
Julian Assange: the charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing.

If you can read Swedish, here's the original article (GoogleEnglish version here)..

[snide and silly comment] Well, if Mr. Assange believes that having sex is a human right, and if he expands his little warped theory of utilitarianism to that "domain", then perhaps the suffering of those (allegedely) raped and/or molested was a small price to pay "for the greater (read his) good"
[/snide and silly comment]
I must admit, I'm deep in Schadenfreude heaven right now, even if this proves to be a "smear campaign" as they assert it is.

Back