• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ/SQ and work outs and living condition

• Thread starter Thread starter Saeho85
  • Start date Start date
S

Saeho85

I'm going to BMQ/SQ this summer in few days and I was just wondering a few things.

First of all, I love bodybuilding. I cannot live without going to the gym 5-6 times a week, I train religiously and eat religiously and I really really really want to continue training my body with weights during the BMQ and SQ course. Will there be a gym in the camp and will they give us time for a workout every day?

Second, I use whey protein and creatine as a post workout supplement after each work out. If I bring it to the course, will they take it away from me or anything like that? Just wondering because of the drug policy they made me read when I applied for the army and again when I joined the army and had to do paper works. Whey protein and creatine, both aren't drugs or anything and I'm completely 100% natural bodybuilder but still, I wonder what they will say or think when I go into the camp with a bunch of white powder.

Lastly, I don't expect the camp to be like a college student residence but will they have a... fridge? I like to... mix my whey protein with milk after workout and drink it.......

I'm not taking the courses lightly or anything... I expect and I want it to be tough, both mentally and physically but no matter how hard it is, I want to continue training my body to the max and give it the proper nutrition my body needs... I'm a serious bodybuilder.

I wonder if you're gonna want to work out after all the PT and other stuff you'll have to do.  I sure wouldn't.

To answer your first question, the base will have a gym, but you'll find that won't have the free time to go to it, with the possible exception of the course staff giving the course sevral hours off on a weekend if you're all good. You'll be spending all your 'down time' cleaning the shacks, doing remedial training, studying, and helping out anyone who needs help with any of the above..

Second question, someone else will have to answer that.

Third, You won't have a fridge, and you won't be able to store any food of your own anywhere; all your food will be provided by the mess. You'll be in anything ranging from 4-8 man rooms to full metal jacket style rows of bunkbeds in a single area that will fit your entire platoon, and you won't have very much privacy...

Good luck on course.

To the first guy who replied:

I haven't even started the BMQ yet but I was going to parade night for 2-3 months already and there I learned most of the drills, and did PT every parade night so I know what the PT will be like at BMQ. They pushed us quite hard to get us ready for BMQ so that BMQ will be easier for us.

The PT will be an excellent cardio work out, no doubt. But the push ups, sit ups, chins etc, that I may do in PT will no way fatigue me to the point where I don't want to work out after. Cardio is cardio and weight training is weight training. I'm used to hellish cardio and weight training and there is no way, no matter how intense, that a cardio training will stop me from weight training and vice versa. I may be out of breath after the PT but my muscles will be good to go for a weight training.

To the second guy:
I pretty much guessed that about the fridge. That's fine though. Do you know if they will check all the contents in your dufflebags? Will they actually open all and check everything inside or make us get everything out or anything like that? In another words, can I go in to the camp, hiding a bottle of creatine or whey protein in my bag and hope to get away with it for 2 months? I'm just afraid they might confiscate it because I heard from a sargeant in my unit that they confiscate stuff like electronics, etc.

edit - I know the correct order is to finish BMQ and THEN start going to parade nights every tuesday and get paid etc but I was able to get sworn in and then immediately start working without any training.

Do you know if they will check all the contents in your dufflebags? Will they actually open all and check everything inside or make us get everything out or anything like that

In my experience, your duffel bag is usually (as long as you have a lock on it) no go for instructors. They've threatened to search them on inspections when the rest of the shacks are messy. The only time I've seen personel kit actually searched through was when 2 C9 bolts went missing on my SQ.. They had us all lined up with all our kit, and they did thorough searches. I can't remeber what ended up happening with the bolts, I think someone ended up missplacing or misscounting them....

The key would be to inform your instructors of what you intend taking. One of the goals of the basic is to make your perform tasks without any artificial supplements (speeds, proteins) in order to simulate to some degree the conditions you may meet in an operational environement where you won't have access to those performance enhancers.

As for your work out, once again you have to talk with your instructors. But if you make it sound as you have too much time on your hand and you would like to go work out, they will certainly find some taskings to keep you busy between 5:00AM and 11:00PM :) . In short chances are slim you will be allowed to do it and if you still find  BMQ too easy, help your peers!

There should be at tab with a hole in it, at the end of the duffelbag.. you can run a lock through that and the zipper.

Expect the only personal time you'll have is when you're taking a dump, and when you're in a single hooch. :D

Im in the same situation as you.  I work out and i feel bad if i dont.  Ill bring my proteins and just mix it with water

you guys must be reservists. You cant bring "protein powder" to boot camp. Eat cottage cheese at meal times. Im a huge bodybuilder and I had to forgo my supps. You need to cycle all that anyways...course if you were "big" into it you'd know that....cours you'd also know that being in the gym 6 days a week is counterproductive.

Cheers.

They probably wont let you take creatine.

I am not doctor, but I remember an NCO telling me that creatine causes your body to use more water for muscles casuing you to become dehydrated more easlly.  I remember on my BMQ the staff was very serious about this and urged everyone to not take it (I was on a weekend course).

thats true. You're gonna be dehydrated and so its dumb to be taking creatine. Theres no way you'll be taking enough water in.

J. Gayson said:
They probably wont let you take creatine.

I am not doctor, but I remember an NCO telling me that creatine causes your body to use more water for muscles casuing you to become dehydrated more easlly.   I remember on my BMQ the staff was very serious about this and urged everyone to not take it (I was on a weekend course).

So true, then again I drink 4 litres in my 2 and half hour time frame I'm at the gym for myself.

Sigh

2 and a half hours at the gym.....although the four litres of water is good.....

Yea I know, I've herd the speech so you don't hafto batter me about being counter-productive and all :p.

I only have so much time and so much money right now though.  I do floor installing full time so I only get a day or two out of the week to hit the gym.

Then again the floor installing is a workout in itself  ;D

I never gave you the lecture bro. Ive heard it all before. As for over training.....whats worse? Working a little to hard or going all air force and not working at all........

HI-O

Sorry Zoomies

:evil:

Depending on where you're doing BMQ you may not have access to a gym at all, even if you had the time or inclination to use it. Don't count on getting any real weight training done while you're away. Also, there isn't any chance you'll have a fridge. You aren't supposed to have food of any kind with you.

As for your supplements, I would recommend against bringing the creatine for the reasons already mentioned. It will dehydrate you unnecessarily on one of the hottest, dryest summers in years and will make you more of a liability than an asset to your platoon. In any case, whatever you bring with you, be prepared to lose it. While they are supposed to let you lock up your stuff, on my basic we had a thief on one of the courses (about 20 running simultaneously) and so they did an inspection of ALL our kit. A lot of people were hiding stuff that got confiscated.

With regards to living conditions, on my basic we had 14 people per tent with a bathroom shared between about 40 or 50 people. We had one or two electrical outlets per tent; enough for an alarm clock or a radio, and 4 phones per 10 courses of 40-50 troops. My QL3 Med As had 10-20 people sleeping on cots in a classroom with no windows, no ventilation, no phones, and no ready access to laundry (we had to spend our weekends at the laundrymat). On both courses we had virtually no free time, and what time we had was spend studying, cleaning or sleeping. Your priorities for working out are dead last when it comes to the well-being of the course. If you screw up an inspection because your weight schedule was more important, you'll eat it not only from your instructors, but also from your course mates. So, be prepared to bin your weight lifting and supplements for a few weeks, and pick up where you left off when you get back.

Few weeks? I'm gone for 2 straight whole freaking months. This is serious for me.

Serious or not, that's the way life is on course. I'm telling you the straight-up answers, and trying to prepare you for the course. Whether you like it or not, military life is harsh, and is not going to fit into your schedule. The best you can hope for is to try to fit your schedule around your training, but there are no guarantees, and you should be prepared for that. Besides, your training and the well being of your course-mates is more important than your personal supplement schedule. It's part of learning to serve something greater than yourself and working as a team.

Back