• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Black Betty sleeping pad

kyleg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Does anyone know where I could find one of the old issue sleeping pads? It's the black one that looks a bit like a camping air mattress. I've checked around in the surplus stores here in Montreal, but none of them have it.

Cheers,
Pinky

I think he means "Matress, pneumatic."  The air matress.  The rubber one that finally got so expensive to produce, Therma-rests became cheaper, at which point the Army bought us Therma-rests.

Tom

TCBF said:
I think he means "Matress, pneumatic."  The air matress.  The rubber one that finally got so expensive to produce, Therma-rests became cheaper, at which point the Army bought us Therma-rests.

That's the one.

Black Betty's will occasionaly become available at surplus stores. We still have a few returned at Clothing Stores during release appointments for our 'older' members. The look on the young Pte's faces are priceless as they wonder what it is.

Had a pair of windpants come back last month during a release appointment that the staff were unsure of because of the flimsy material...I checked the tag and the date of manufacture was 1959. The Major returning them had a great laugh as did I because I could still even read the tag it was that unfaded, unlike his hair colour he noted! It's a great place to bring back old memories that front counter!!

Our unit stores still hold quite a few of the black betty's, and there's always a scramble to get them on TI when you go out on a winter Ex..

I have 25 of them in a box in my field kit lockup. keep them for extended trips where I'm static for a bit or if a beach is close by.
And yes armyvern I still have my issue one from the 80's along with my old wind pants and artic slippers.

:o 25?! Let me guess, you sleep on all 25, and if there's a pebble under the bottom one it feels like you're sleeping on a bowling ball :P

Cheers,
Pinky

Try

www.sgtbilkos.ca

I know he had some at one point
Email him or pm him.. he's on this site (sgtbiko)

Thanks for that Trinity, but I may have one coming from another member of the forum.

Cheers,
Pinky

my72jeep said:
I have 25 of them in a box in my field kit lockup. keep them for extended trips where I'm static for a bit or if a beach is close by.
And yes armyvern I still have my issue one from the 80's along with my old wind pants and artic slippers.

Care to let one go? Mine burst about 12 years ago and they only replaced it for the new POS....

I still have the arctic slippers....zebra mitts with green leather covers....FN C1 mag pouches, frog....oh the list goes on and on....

Regards

The old Rubber Molly?  Why would you want one of those?  They weigh a ton and I always found them uncomfortable.  Not to mention that inflating them was a good way of attracting a sniper's attention.

RangerRay said:
  Not to mention that inflating them was a good way of attracting a sniper's attention.

??? ??? ???

Really, I'm not going to touch that one!  I'm trying to be good now!

"The Major returning them had a great laugh as did I because I could still even read the tag it was that unfaded, unlike his hair colour he noted! It's a great place to bring back old memories that front counter!!"

- Memory lane.  I have rucksack kit lists going back a few decades, and I am amazed at how simple, light, non-bulky, cheap , and FEW were the items in our Rucksack, Universal, C2 (what is now known erroniously as thr '64 pattern ruck) and/or our Cargo Pack 1964 (the one with the 'tump line').

Black Betty's (Mattress, Pneumatic):  good for NOT feeling rocks underneath you.  Good for keeping you off the snow.  Good for rafting.  Bad for noise of inflation - and time to inflate.  Bad for having 15 mph air currents in the bellows: in extreme cold, the air mattress turns into a 'heat sink', or actually an external body inter-cooler.  Here is how it works:  Your body trunk warms the air under you.  The warm air you just made then rotates down the matress and the cold air under your feet rotates up to be warmed by your body. this sucking of heat out of you continues for the entire 96 minutes you get to actually sleep on your air mattress that night...

On the other hand, if you are in a hurry to leave (like, always?) just pull the plug, unlike the Therma-rest.

I still own three.  And a 64 cargo pack.  And a C2 Ruck, old windpants, X1951 fishnet undershirt, and the Cdn Pattern wool shirt, battledress, button stick, Case Ammunition Magazine 1964 (C2 Bra), etc.

I DO miss not keeping the khaki greatcoat, and passing up the 1972 offer to the the sheepskin jackets at 15 bucks each.  They were paying me about $7.35 a day at the time, so the money I made during the weekend 3.5 inch Rocket Launcher shoot would have been spent all on a coat I THOUGHT I would never use...

Oh well.

Tom

TCBF - don't remember my sleep being limited to 96 minutes at a crack BUT
what I do remember about these old mattresses was their bad habbit of popping their cork in the middle of the night...
Tent full of guys having a good sleep when, all of a sudden, Pop! followed by a Sssssssss. Tent full of guys rocking about, trying to figure out if it was their mattress ....and then the expletive from one poor sould who had to climb out of his bag to fix the problem.

We could almost start a new thread called "Arctic Tent Sories", but to me, the most unforgetable stories were the tent fires. After that - the 'Green Slug Wars', where one guy getting up would step on another guy, maybe drop his 'arctic turnip', and this would escalate to all five to ten men  realeaseing their grudges against each other as best as they could without getting out of the bags.

TCBF said:
We could almost start a new thread called "Arctic Tent Sories", but to me, the most unforgetable stories were the tent fires.
Funny you should say tent fires the best artic tent story I have is this. I was in my tent changing after a patrol when I look into the tent across the way, through the open door I see a bud pumping a lantern, then I see him burst into flames (small fuel leak) then the lantern flies thought the door folowed by a flaming troop to the chants of STOP DROP AND ROLL, STOP DROP AND ROLL by the rest of the platoon. In the end he was lucky all it cost us was one fleece top and one lantern globe.

always hang a knife from tent pole.
best memorable event in winter warfare was lying in my bag and watching "44 Ford" climb out of the bag and get a sudden case of the shivers........... Priceless :warstory:

but you had to be there :)

Back