• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best sport for Infantry training?

• Thread starter Thread starter PTE Gruending
  • Start date Start date
P

PTE Gruending

Hey all,
just wondering what the general consensus is on the best sport to play for bettering your physical capabilities in the Infantry? Myself, I do a lot of jogging and weight-training, but find the weight-training doesnt come in all that useful. However, endurance running has helped me throughout my time in the CF. At my regiment we play floor hockey most parade nights (which is great for cohesion and morale)... or at least we used to until we found out that PT is not allowed at your home unit or something like that.
Anyways, your opinions, please!

Rugby is fantastic for team-building, aggression, and fitness. Definetely my favourite.

Rugby all the way!!!
However, one thing about rugby that I have always found detrimental to physical training, is the absolutly insane amount of injuries suffered.
For PT, I believe that track &field is the best sport, especially if you join a club and do it competitively. It will greatly increase your stamina and strength. The only thing missing in track is team work, even with the relay teams. :warstory:

Speed training.
Chain 6 Pitbulls to a tree and poke them with a stick repeatedly.
Pace 6 steps and get ready.
Have buddy release said Pitbulls and run like a mother$%$%&@.
Great training for LRRP.(Recce)
Repeat as necessary.

I would think perhaps cross-country runs, maybe find a route which has some hilly sections, forest paths so you need to watch your footing on roots and maybe get over a few fallen trees etc, and a boggy bit for good measure, that way the variety of terrain and the degree of concentration required will keep your mind off how knackered you feel.

I would believe that soccer would be the best sport for training in the infantry because of running duration also not to many injuries. :akimbo: :soldier:

I‘d have to agree with rugby, the stop and start runnning is great interval training, the tackling, rucks and mauls are great for legs and upper body and the drinking after is awesome for teamwork:)

I disagree about injuries though, I‘ve played soccer and rugby for many years and I have gotten way more(serious)injuries playing soccer as compared to rugby. I find with rugby that although everyone is focused and is aggressive throughout the game.......everyone is concious of the fact that everyone has to work the next day and it‘s not in your own best interest to injure someone needlessly. Soccer seems to have more flamboyant and overzealous players that seem to think that from behind or cleat to knees tackles are the norm and are accepted.

hmm thats wierd, it might have something to do with the fact that i play rugby with guys that still go to highschool. I remember my first game. My friend got concussed, and another guy got a gash in the bridge of his nose right to the bone. Oh, and another guy had blood coming from his face somewhere, cant remember what from, but i remember the ref getting mad at the coach for holding up the game by taking the bleeding lad off to clean him up.

The few times I‘ve played soccer, I‘ve always come away with a bruised shin, twisted knee or ankle, toe/toenail injuries...

If you‘re really concerned with injuries, perhaps just try touch or flag football. No real risk of huge injuries, but you still get the benefits of distance running, quick sprinting, etc.

I‘d also suggest Kung Fu, though that‘s less of a sport and more of a hobby. I certainly enjoyed it when I took it, and I can see it doing people a lot of good that might not be thought of.

Orienteering is about as good as it gets,you practice land navigation and get cardio,bring a small rucksack along for a better workout.The other sports are just that ...not training

My favourite sports played during PT were: Snowshoe soccer (no rules), Water Polo (played in shallow end, no rules), and European handball (no rules)...all troop against troop. (ie way more than regulation number of players on the field.

Orienteering was fun, and helped with navigation. Keep in mind, however, that as an Infanteer you‘re not actually expected to have any idea where you are :)

If you don‘t hunt, start. Amazing what you learn while hunting...even rabbits.

Cheers-Garry

"Rugby is a Ruffians‘ sport played by Gentlemen. Soccer is a Gentlemens‘ sport played by Ruffians."

Floor hockey is by far the best, it excercises your wrists which I don‘t think any other sport you can play indoors can do.

Huge fan of floor hockey right here... we used to play it every parade night until some stupid orders from BDE HQ came down which said we were not allowed to do PT..... ;-(

Its the greatest sport in the world, develops sprinting and endurance skills, encourages aggression & teamwork, and best of all - Its Canadian dammit!

Nice eh? Troops aren‘t allowed to do PT. What kind of no brainer is that? Some goofball in the chain of command gets that idea in his head and passes it down. On our basic we wern‘t allowed to do push ups on our own or we‘d be charged. You need a qualified instructor to make sure you are doing them properly.

I think with everyone who gets a bump and runs to veterans affairs were really starting to screw ourselves over.

If you really wanna train for the infantry get a bunch of guys sitting in a small room all day and change between making prank phonecalls and telling bar stories from the other night.
For PT you can play a game called RCR baseball i became familar with in petawawa.

"Well troops, for PT today were going to play some RCR baseball. Theres no bats, gloves or balls so it‘s going to seem a h#ll of a lot like running"

I agree with MG34, Orienteering is probably the best because it most closely mimicks Infantry tasks. Navigation, long (but rushed) walks/runs and quick thinking. Doing it with a pack is probably not realistic (esp if you‘re competing) but would make it nearly exactly what the Infantry do, at least part of the time.

Down side: Orienteering can be hard to get into, if there‘s not a local group, and it‘s not as "fun" as floor hockey or rugby. But if your aim is training and prep...

where the **** can you do Kung fu??? i was in Karate for about 2 years then dropped out cause my all my friends left :( but in september im going to cadets:D

best sport? hmmm...id say...Dancing (JK!!!)
best sport that i would know of would be hiking or cycling

Back