• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Battlefield Medicine

elder medic

Inactive
Reaction score
And a good day to any of you reading this.  I just discovered this site today and must confess amazement at the way  medical care in the field has progressed. The acronyms alone are astounding, and have me as confused as the day I first arrived at the RCAMC School in March 1950.
I shall wander in here on occasion and try to refurbish these old brain cells. Just to give you a clue, I was privileged to serve as a Regular Army type in 37 (Borden)and 25 Field Ambulances,(Korea),  D Company, 2 RCR (Korea) 2 R22R, (Korea) and 1 RCR (Korea), and 25 Fld Dressing Station before Korea just long enough to take an OR course in Kingston General Hospital. Sandwiched in here was Para training with 1 RCR and at the then CJATC i n Rivers, Man.  Para foolishness continued after homecoming in '52 with 2 RCR. Over the next few years I was in several military hospitals, and some smaller detachments. A darned good life and am presently a member of the RCR Associationn. and of course, the RCL. But back to medicine for a moment. I went on patrols in Korea with 2 RCR with a stretcher on my shoulder, a haversack of shell dressings, an Enfield .303 rifle on the other shoulder,( later replaced by a pair of Colt '45s liberated in trade for a bottle of Scotch from the USMC,) and a head full of rampant knowledge, and a bellyful of trepidation. I was fortunate in surviving in one piece, more than I can say for some good friends.  Basically what I started to say is this; To those of you who are in, or considering military medicine, Good on yer, mate. It's a heck of a rewarding field, and the kinowledge will stand you in good stead later in life. Especially so now that some civilian professional societies are recognizing military training. Always bear in mind that as battlefield medicine progresses, the death rate decreases.   In Arduis Fidelis.

Back