• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Songs

I recall when I joined the PPCLI that we were handed a Regimental history that included regimental songs that we were expected to all know so we could sing them during route marches (which we did, i.e. "Has Anyone Seen the Colonel?", the already mentioned "Tipperary" and "Mademoiselle from Armmentieres").  Does that still happen at the battle school today?

During Infantry TQ3, many snows ago, we started singing "jody" chants on the run.  The PERIs didn't mind, but our course staff quickly put an end to that by reminding us, in dramatic fashion, that:

1.  If you can run and sing, you're not running hard enough.
2. The Army is not here to provide for your entertainment.  Training for war is serious business. Singing is fun.

... and we picked up the pace considerably.  :'(

"In my short career I've see no singing. Well thats not quite true. I had an instructor in Gagetown (SQ) that was ex-airborn, and we learned all sorts of good songs to run/march to. I guess each to his own"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is nice to see it ......and I say that as someone who NEVER sings  (Kareoke...never get me up there) but, in training, it used to be a really good way of keeping spirits up......just getting a crusty ole Sgt who just screamed at you for not "standing close enough to the razor" when you only have peachfuzz, to sit down with the Pl in the field and patiently teach you songs in a totally different personality.......well, that's what trg was like back then.

Haggis said:
During Infantry TQ3, many snows ago, we started singing "jody" chants on the run.  The PERIs didn't mind, but our course staff quickly put an end to that by reminding us, in dramatic fashion, that:
1.  If you can run and sing, you're not running hard enough.
2. The Army is not here to provide for your entertainment.  Training for war is serious business. Singing is fun.
... and we picked up the pace considerably.  :'(

Instructors are like that yaknow... if you're having too much fun, then they think they're doing something wrong and must act to correct the fun-ness of the situation...

(Reminds me of the Marine instructors in the movie Tribes with Jan-Michael Vincent, Darren McGavin, and Earl Holliman as the annoyed senior instructor, link is here if you havent seen or heard of it before: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066490/usercomments)

Back