• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you sexually normal ? (In politics, I mean)

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
The Globe and Mail has been running an interesting series about the statistical lessons (or, maybe just anomalous factoids) from the recent election.  Today’s is about the gender divide.  Women are left, men are right.

I’m not going to copy the article – not even under the fair dealing provisions of the of the Copyright Act, it is too long and it is just one of a series, but here re a few excerpts which the authors selected to highlight the ‘gap’ – my position is added, in orange:
---------
In 2004, health care was the No. 1 issue … 61 per cent of women said health was their most important issue, compared with only 42 per cent of men (the list of issues from which to choose also included taxes, social welfare programs, the environment, and corruption). In 2006, the dominance of health care was challenged by the corruption issue, but it remained of primary importance for women: Almost one woman in two (47 per cent) named health as her most important issue. For men, however, government corruption (38 per cent) outweighed concerns about health care (30 per cent). Although the corruption issue increased in importance during the campaign for men and women alike, this issue continued to rank a distant second (25 per cent) for women.  I’m with the men, +1 for me

Men's judgments about the sponsorship scandal and corruption in the Liberal Party were harsher than women's, and men were more likely to re-evaluate the Liberals during the campaign. The number of men agreeing with the statement that the federal Liberal Party is more corrupt than the other parties went to 54 per cent in the final days from 44 per cent in early December. The figure for women barely budged over the same period; by the close of the campaign, the figure for men was fully 18 points higher. Male again, that’s a cumulative +2 for me.

At the end of the campaign, men (44 per cent) were much more likely than women (31 per cent) to believe that there had been a lot of corruption in the Chrétien government. Similarly, they were more likely to think that Paul Martin knew about the scandal before he became prime minister. Three out of four men (74 per cent) held this view, compared to fewer than two-thirds (63 per cent) of women, even though men (58 per cent) were more likely than women (45 per cent) to know that the Gomery report on the sponsorship scandal had absolved Mr. Martin of any blame.  +3

As the campaign progressed, men became more disenchanted with Mr. Martin's handling of the sponsorship scandal: The proportion saying that he had done a good job dropped 8 points over the course of the campaign. Women's judgments remained unchanged, though they were not much more impressed with Mr. Martin's performance on this score (47 per cent) than men were (43 per cent). Finally, men (56 per cent) were less confident than women (65 per cent) that Mr. Martin would prevent a scandal from happening again if he were re-elected. I’m still with the men: +4

A summary of other differences is:

A comparison of Canadians' views outside Quebec found that when it comes to social values, women are to the left of men.

Oppose same-sex marriage
Men: 42%
Women: 32% I’m with the ladies, here, my masculinity score slips to +3 Added: in my universe a +1 feminine requires a -1 masculine

Favour the death penalty for people convicted of murder
Men: 47%
Women: 35% My feminine side slips through again, now I’m only +2

Think only the police and the military should be allowed to carry guns
Men: 49% Here I’m back with my male mates  +3
Women: 65%

Think the gun registry should be scrapped entirely
Men: 70% Of course!  +4
Women: 57%

Think free trade with the U.S. has been good for the Canadian economy
Men: 66% It is demonstrably true, so +5

Think Canada should have closer ties with the U.S.
Men: 39% Yes,  +6
Women: 30%

Favour having some private hospitals in Canada
Men: 47% Yes, again, to the men’s room: +7
Women: 39%

Think more should be done to reduce the gap between rich and poor
Men: 68% It’s not that I think we shouldn’t try to help the poor, I’m just convinced that all 20th & 21st century efforts will only make matters worse, +8
Women: 76%
----------
So there we are: 10 12 issues; I score 8/12.  Is that man enough for you?

How about you, boys and girls?  How normal are you?

Edit: How embarrassing – counting above ten is sooooo hard for us old folks.

Edward, I'm not clear from how the question and responses are presented as to what it mean to say that you are with one group or the other on a particular issue.  For example:

Think only the police and the military should be allowed to carry guns
Men: 49% Here I’m back with my male mates  +3
Women: 65%

Think the gun registry should be scrapped entirely
Men: 70% Of course!  +4

For the two two above responses, does your response mean that, in the first example you are with the 49% who apparently agree with that statement or with the presumed 51% who do not?  Your answer is more clear in the second example which I take to me you support scrapping the firearm registry.

Just an observation.

I ended up with about +10 feminine or 1/10 masculine. I'm going to go pluck my eyebrows now.

I score a +4 (male) or an 8/12, depending on the scale used. 
I believe that makes me a hippie.

Back