• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another View Point

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
This was emailed to me just lately and I thought you would all like to read it and Mike it give‘s you a
lot of credit!
Spr.Earl.

From and old geezer named Bill Smy

I don‘t know why I still piss around with all this stuff. But I am really frustrated with the way things are, and I don‘t know that they will ever get any better.

First: I admire the way were were able to get to Afghanistan and support the troops once they were there. I believe the Patricias did a reasonably good job under difficult conditions, not all of them in-country problems. It was a Herculean problem, and somehow, some men made it happen.

My frustrations are centered on how limited our army is. We put 600,000 men in Europe in 1918, and probably had 200,000 plus or minus in uniform at home. There were difficulties then, but the bureaucracy was almost nil compared with what we have today with less than 70,000 members in the CF.

We do not seem to have anyone with any clout who has a long range vision. Everything that is done seems to be a stumble from one crisis to another. Too many people working on the same issues, doing the same work over and over, with no results, and perhaps none expected.

Larry Golner was a difficult man to work with some say. I say he was one of the best that I worked for. He would discuss the issue with his staff, arrive at a course of action, and then demand that we get on with it. And he expected results as a normal result. Today, results are a surprising event in the day of DND.

The General Forum is my current pet peeve. I think there is a place for it, and that the current computer technology is probably being used correctly. But, in reality I have not seen one meaningful problem solved or answered. It‘s a gossip exchange, nothing more. Yet, there is a dollar cost attached to it. Mike Bobbitt‘s web page probably does it at a **** of a lot less cost, and with the same results.

In any event, I‘m getting too old for all this. I went to the Ministry of Health office in St Catharines last Wednesday to renew my health card. All the material they sent informed me that I would need to documents: one to prove who I am (driver‘s license, bank card, photo ID) and one to prove my address ( a letter with my name and current address). No problem with the first. But when I tried to use a MINISTRY OF HEALTH letter addressed to me as proof of address, Sorry - We don‘t accept Ministry of Health documents for proof. Can‘t rely on them, you see.

Ludicrous.

Back