• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American/Canadian Relations

• Thread starter Thread starter RJG
  • Start date Start date
R

RJG

I am a high school student in Toronto, thus I have many friends who are immigrants. I hear them constantly bashing the American government and it really disturbs me, for numerous reasons:

1. They were the first country to ever have a codified constitution which gaurunteed the rights and freedoms of its people.

2. They are our number one trade partner.

3. If someone attacked Canada, however unlikely, who would come to our aid; America.

I was just wondering if these attitudes that the people in my school have are only because they are young and ignorant, or if this was the general feelings towards America. I see the stats and everything else, but I would like to know from you, in your experiences, if people show a general hatred or extreme dislike towards America.

(edited for typo)

Migrants from where? I reckon amongst the 3rd world, and throughout islamic countries the USA is hated, but maybe more so the govt, and not the people. However look where to terrorism is directed, not at the govt, but the people.

Sadly if the USA was to, say sit back and do nothing for the past, lets say 60 yrs, this world would be a worse place, and you INFACT may be speaking German (and I Japanese) and have no rights as YOU and I know them.

Europe, SE Asia, South America, and the ME would all be completely different places, and NOT for the better.

The USA is an ally of Canada, and other nations, including Australia.

Personally, I have always been treated 10/10 by the Americans I know, and they are welcome in my home anytime!

Oh, as for the UN, (a big usless paper tiger), they would not even exist if it wasnt for the USA, as the USA pays for most of it.

Who would feed the starving, and pay for all the BILLIONS of $$ the USA puts into other countries?

Whats happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, is the US and other allies are only trying to make it a better and more safe country, and taking the fight to the EN, before it comes here.

I am behind the war 100%, as sometimes there is just no other way. Sad, but a true fact of life.

The US should have carried on back in 1991, but it was the UN mandate which prevented that.

Cheers,

Wes

I like americans

Sure the iraq thing is a little messed up, but I really hate it how people criticize the soldiers their, considering they are putting their lives on the line for their country.

Sadly, what would the world say if the islamcis blew up more bombs 10 time worse than NYC on foreign soil (not the USA) maybe some place in Europe or the ME, or how about Canada, and then the USA would be critisised for not doing enough.

How true, eh!

Cheers,

WEs

Open up all of the borders in the world, and see where everyone heads.

OK.. maybe not everyone, but you get the gist...

I‘ve been in the US about 14 years, altogether. Overall, I would say that I‘ve had far more opportunities here, than I had in Canada. That, however, is a function of many different things I imagine.

That being said - it‘s time to renew my Green Card, or get my citizenship. I still feel a little funny about becoming a US Citizen. I guess, for whatever reason, I am a Canadian at heart. :cdn:

I can tell you this - live here for any length of time, and it will clear up a lot of misconceptions, prejudices, and pre-conceived notions. Of course, it may confirm one or two also. ;)

I believe that the US is one of (if not THE) largest contributor of foreign aid in the world - people seem to lose sight of that pretty easy.

How true Maskrat! Good post.

When I got my Australian citizenship I was as proud as a new father, and I still am. I have not renewed my Cdn passport in yrs. Of all the certificates I have, my Australian citizenship is the only one that hangs on the wall.

However, I look it it as having the best of both worlds, and I will never forget in 1000 lifetimes where I came from (Saskatoon and raised in Regina).

Becoming a dual citizen is excellent, like a re-birth sorta, and I have never looked back. I have the same rights and privillages as being born in Australia, and I enjoy voting and other democratic rights here.

I find that Australia for me, has painted a brighter picture, and I reckon I have advanced much more here than I ever could back in deal ole Canada.

Being so far away has made me ultra-independant, and more strong in every way, and its taught me that family is the most important thing ever, and I cant deny that for a moment. I sure miss em. Everday.

This is just for me though, but it has its price. I am a long ways from family and friends, and I have not seen a live hockey game in 4 yrs! Get me to a Pats game!

I tend to look it it as I am 30 second connection by phone, live on the INet, and 15 hrs to Vancouver (or door to door in 28 hrs). So its just a day trip.

That doesnt sound as bad as 22,641km covering 17 timezones, and having reversed seasons. It took the English to get from the UK to Australia 9 months back in 1788! It still takes 3 months for surface mail.

I say get bold and go out and get that second citizenship!

Good on ya.

Cheers,

Wes

I also experienced a stong case of anti-american attitudes while I was in Europe. It is something that I had not experienced to that degree in Canada.

I would meet some people from various European countries and they would whine, gripe, complain, and moan on almost a constant basis how bad the Americans are, how much they hate them, how much they hate their policies etc.

What is really funny is I would ask them what they did that day, and the responce would be something like:

"Oh you know, I went down to the mall. Bought a Brittany Spears CD (man she is hot!) Then I went to McDonalds and got myself a Big Mac and came home and watched ‘Party of Five‘"

I would respond..‘Funny, I thought you hated Americans...if you hate them so much, then why don‘t you stop buying their products! You retard.‘

Their answer would be something like: "Oh, well. They have a lot of interesting things there, it is the center of world culture now...blah blah blah...man I hope I can visit there someday.‘

????

A lot of this attitude boils down to pee-pee envy. It also reflects the strong tribal mentality of Europeans, and I am convinced that is why there are so many wars and bloodbaths in that part of the world. Basically, EU people are really cool, but at the same time they are idiots.

I also feel that this attitude, in part, is responsible for a lot of the problems in the middle east, and their negetive view of the States.

Bottom line. Anyone who gripes and complains about something with no apparent justification, then it means there is some other reason for their anger/hatred. Start asking questions to those guys in your school, I bet you will find out they are big Brittany Spears fans too.

It‘s human nature to despise what those you consider unfairly better off than you... whatever that "better off" might be (ie: higher standard of living, greater personal freedoms, etc). The USA is in a catch 22. Intervene and get roasted over the coals. Sit idle and get roasted over the coals. The dish du jour of modern times is Roasted USA.

As a child I attended a church that believe that America was the Antichrist and the little horn coming out of the beast in revelations. For those not familiar with the bible, they basically believed that America was the tool of the devil.

Need-less to say I no longer attend that church.

Originally posted by Wesley H. Allen, CD:
[qb]Sadly if the USA was to, say sit back and do nothing for the past, lets say 60 yrs, this world would be a worse place, and you INFACT may be speaking German (and I Japanese) and have no rights as YOU and I know them.

Oh, as for the UN, (a big usless paper tiger), they would not even exist if it wasnt for the USA, as the USA pays for most of it.

Who would feed the starving, and pay for all the BILLIONS of $$ the USA puts into other countries?Wes [/qb]
I like Americans and their "stick to em" attitude I believe the war in Iraq is justified. Besides it is comforting no matter what the average civilian feels or thinks to see someone takeing initiative on international matters such as present day Iraq, Gulf war, and Somolia.

Thank god for the extensive funding of their Military or North America would have fallen into a foreign control because no matter how much I love Canada I or you cannot ignore the fact that we could not stand alone or with a equally under funded American ally against some of the more powerful nations like Russia or China.

From My experiances their is a great deal of Anti Americanism in Canada or at least where i am from, and it pissed me off. People seem to forget that the states are usually always the first country to offer aid, whether that be Humanitarian or Military Aid. and IN the end its gets thrown back in their face.

Living in a border city I know all to well of the arrogance of Americans. But they are all too willing to admit this and take criticism from us well just as we take criticism from them from being to complacent and laid back. I think you‘ll find that the values and ideals that Americans hold dearly come pretty close to the ones that we "Canadians" hold dearly. In regards to young students and their "American-bashing" you need to look no further than their parents to find the source of their values and ideals.

Canadian-US relations is always a touchy subject. Remember, we (Canadians) are Americans too, as are Mexicans, Brazilians, Columbians etc...

Originally posted by RJG:
[qb] I am a high school student in Toronto, thus I have many friends who are immigrants. I hear them constantly bashing the American government and it really disturbs me, for numerous reasons:

1. They were the first country to ever have a codified constitution which gaurunteed the rights and freedoms of its people.

2. They are our number one trade partner.

3. If someone attacked Canada, however unlikely, who would come to our aid; America.

I was just wondering if these attitudes that the people in my school have are only because they are young and ignorant, or if this was the general feelings towards America. I see the stats and everything else, but I would like to know from you, in your experiences, if people show a general hatred or extreme dislike towards America.

(edited for typo) [/qb]
Alot of people do bash the US government, and with good reason. Critisism is one of the most common ways to change things. Without it people think everything is ok. If its not broke, don‘t fix it right? You need to criticize and point out what you think is wrong.

Just because someone criticizes a countries government, it doesn‘t mean they think that about its people too.

[qb] Migrants from where? I reckon amongst the 3rd world, and throughout islamic countries the USA is hated, but maybe more so the govt, and not the people. However look where to terrorism is directed, not at the govt, but the people.[/qb]
The US is hated by people in any and every country. It is also loved by people in any and every country. Its simple because of its popularity, media, and historical actions.

Sadly if the USA was to, say sit back and do nothing for the past, lets say 60 yrs, this world would be a worse place, and you INFACT may be speaking German (and I Japanese) and have no rights as YOU and I know them.
If the Nazi‘s ‘won‘ (does anyone win?) WWII, we may very well be speaking German. But we wouldn‘t be speaking Japanese if they made the US surrender. Japan hit Pearl Harbour, a military base, and uterly decimated it. It was a briliant military strike. Then the US came back and nuked aprox. 200,000 of Japan‘s citizens. In your first paragraph, you stated terrorism was against the people. This act by the US was terrorism, plain and simple. They wanted to most possible damage. Much like Osama and crew wanted when they hit the World Trade Towers in NYC.

Japan wanted to cripple the US military, not kill its innocent citizens.

Europe, SE Asia, South America, and the ME would all be completely different places, and NOT for the better.

The USA is an ally of Canada, and other nations, including Australia.

Personally, I have always been treated 10/10 by the Americans I know, and they are welcome in my home anytime!
Your exposure must be very low then. There are *******s in all countries, meet enough citizens from any given country and you will meet thier *******s too.

Who would feed the starving, and pay for all the BILLIONS of $$ the USA puts into other countries?
Check out this site, and you will see where they get that money:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Whats happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, is the US and other allies are only trying to make it a better and more safe country, and taking the fight to the EN, before it comes here.
The situation in Iraq is totally different than that of Afghanistan. The US was hit hard by an attack, the attack came from Afghanistan, the US and a few allies hit back and cleared it up. Then the Bush administration took this chance to finally go back and take Iraq. They used ‘weapons of mass distruction‘ as a cover, there never was any. A retired general (was active during the initial take over of Iraq) even admitted that. The Bush administration forcibly took over a country under false pretences of freedom. They say they are freeing the Iraqi people. Who are they, or we, to say what freedom is to another culture? Our western ways are perverse to most.

I am behind the war 100%, as sometimes there is just no other way. Sad, but a true fact of life.

The US should have carried on back in 1991, but it was the UN mandate which prevented that.

Cheers,

Wes [/QB]
The US signed papers with the Iraqi‘s which said Iraq must disarm, which it did. Then when Bush jr. took office he decided that wasn‘t enough, Iraq must be his.

Originally posted by Pte. Gayson:
[qb] I like americans

Sure the iraq thing is a little messed up, but I really hate it how people criticize the soldiers their, considering they are putting their lives on the line for their country. [/qb]
The problem is, they are not putting thier lives on the line for thier country, they are for another country they think they are ‘freeing‘.

[qb] Sadly, what would the world say if the islamcis blew up more bombs 10 time worse than NYC on foreign soil (not the USA) maybe some place in Europe or the ME, or how about Canada, and then the USA would be critisised for not doing enough.

How true, eh!

Cheers,

WEs [/qb]
I‘ve never known "The Islamics" to blow up anything. Thier religion teaches peace. Its terrorists that blow things up.

People confuse the two far too much. The Islam religion condems violence.

Originally posted by muskrat89:
[qb] ....

I can tell you this - live here for any length of time, and it will clear up a lot of misconceptions, prejudices, and pre-conceived notions. Of course, it may confirm one or two also. ;)

I believe that the US is one of (if not THE) largest contributor of foreign aid in the world - people seem to lose sight of that pretty easy. [/qb]
I agree with that 2nd last paragraph. I work with US citizens every day. Thats my job. I work for AT&T Wireless. I sell them wireless phones, take payments, troubleshoot thier problems. Anywhere from 50-100 US citizens every day.

I can say that 90% of them are as nice as us Canadians. I can also say that 90% of them are very ignorant to anything that is not from their country. They don‘t teach World History in US grade schools, only "American History".

They have a very self centered view of the world. Which is fine and dandy if you don‘t want to participate in the world. If you ask a US citizen who won WWII, they will reply "We did".

Canada is truely a worldly country, that I‘m proud of.

As far as the US being the largest contributor to foreign aid. Noone can dispute, they got the money. Thats what you get with capatalism and a huge population. But check out that web page at the top of my post.

Originally posted by Rick_Donald:
[qb] Living in a border city I know all to well of the arrogance of Americans. But they are all too willing to admit this and take criticism from us well just as we take criticism from them from being to complacent and laid back. I think you‘ll find that the values and ideals that Americans hold dearly come pretty close to the ones that we "Canadians" hold dearly. In regards to young students and their "American-bashing" you need to look no further than their parents to find the source of their values and ideals. [/qb]
You can‘t blame it on thier parents alone. We have MPs calling Bush a moron, other US citizens, or senators idiots and other names.

"Anti-Americanism" comes from many sources, family, friends, media, and some of the actions the US does itself.

"Anti-Americanism" can do no good. It only spreads hate and anger. People assume all US citizens share the views of their government and media. This is not true in the least.

My personal view is that we (Canada-US) are very similar, and very different at the same time. We are joined at the hip, like it or not we are stuck together. We are like two sisters, we may squable, we may disagree on certain things, but we will always work things out between ourselves. That is my belief, and hope.

Just because we, as a country, don‘t join in the take over of Iraq, it doesn‘t mean we won‘t support them, and them us, in other endeavors.

Correct on Pearl harbor WetGrunt. The Japanese failed to "decimate" all the infrastructure and ship building/repair facilities and dry docks. because of this blunder the U.S. was able to repair and rebuild the fleet much quicker to strike back.

Goober,
You must be that relation of Gomer‘s from the Andy Griffith Show.

Back