• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American awards on Mess Dress

Grunt

Inactive
Reaction score
I received an American award on deployment and consulted with my COC and my CSM said it may not be worn with my DEU only with Mess Dress, however when I checked the actual written CF rules (cant remember where but it was an official policy) which stated there is to be no foreign awards or patches worn on the mess dress?  Anyone else have some insight on this or experience with it?  thanks

It's always safe to put the same salad on your Mess Kit as what's on your DEUs.

Besides, it's a dinner and not an accomplishment comparison meeting.

Regards

Medals and awards are treated very much differently than things like, say, US wings.

Grunt, if you could PM me the specific name of your Award, I can pull the specifics and send to you.

Mess Dress is a uniform in the same way that your service dress is a uniform.  The medals you wear on one, should match the ones you wear on the other (notwithstanding that they are different sizes).  If you want to wear foreign orders, decorations or medals, then you need permission to do so.  Although you can request this through the Chain of Command, permission actually comes from the Chancellery, not the CF (i.e. the CF forwards the request to the Chancellery).  Although there are lots of folks who wear both the Gulf and Kuwait Medal and the "Gaudy Saudi*" with their miniatures it is not correct to do so as the Chancellery has never approved the wearing of both together (and will not as it constitutes dual recognition).

*The Kuwait Liberation Medal was awarded by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to all veterans of that campaign.  However, Canada issued its own medal for it that war, the Gulf and Kuwait Medal.  Notwithstanding that CF members were allowed to accept the Kuwait Liberation Medal as a keepsake, it was made very clear that they could not wear it with Canadian Honours.

Has he confirmed that?  Some American awards, look like medals.

Pusser said:
Has he confirmed that?  Some American awards, look like medals.

He states it's an award in his post. Don't know why everyone jumped to "medal" from that.

I've also heard from him.

Just speculating... maybe it's a CIB badge? Is that classified as an award?

No, it's not; I'm sure if he wants to divulge, he will. Not my place.

Back