• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice, feedback, opinions welcome...

ChristopherRobin

Inactive
Reaction score
I think I've pretty much made up my mind but I figure I'd post up my story here to see what people say. Here's the scenario, I'm 28 (almost 29) and I'm pretty well set to resubmit my paperwork into the local office.  Here's what's been going on...

A couple years ago, I was about to take off to start my phase training for Inf. Officer (DEO). At the last minute I declined because I had a chance to move out to BC and try to get into the Vancouver Police. Plus, I really wanted Military Police Officer but at the very last second, and after going through the trouble of filling out specific MP paperwork, I was told the MP Officer position was never open to begin with.  So that didn't impress me too much.  Fast forward a year and a half and I'm still here in Victoria but the Vancouver Police plans are out the window (another long and crazy story).  So, my plan now is to enlist into either infantry or combat engineer trades.  My intentions are this: To complete the first contract (3yr for inf and 4 yr for eng) and within the last year of the contract, go through the RCMP selection process and if posted to Edmonton, go through the Calgary PD process aswell.  Getting into the forces at this time in my life is due to mainly wanting experience (going on tour would be interesting), distancing myself from everything that's happened within the last year and a half, and of course doing something worthwhile and meaningful (there are additional reasons).

So it's down to Engineering or Infantry. I think at my age, getting into the engineers is the "smarter" decision just because I don't think I plan on making a career of the forces and I know the engineers can get decent civvie jobs afterwards (but life has taught me that plans can change really quickly and drastically).  I'm torn though because infantry is something I've always wanted to try despite my knees possibly hurting under extreme pressure and use.  Plus I have my jump wings from when I was in cadets and 'possibly' (if I'm lucky) getting posted to a jump company has always been one of those "I wish I could of done that in my life" goals.  The infantry seems like it's an awesome job and very rewarding. I remember my first exposure to regular force infantry were with members of 1 RCR (guys who had just left 3cdo).  From then on, I had the upmost respect for them. BUT, I'm almost 29 and going into the infantry for a short amount of time might not benefit me in civvie land once I leave and if I don't get into the police.

I don't really have any questions. I just posted this up to see what others had to say... maybe what they would do if they were in my shoes. Thanks for reading.   

Assuming quite a few troops join at 18 and retire after 20 years' service, you can expect to find many a 29 year old in uniform.  Add to that the one army, one standard model.  Those other 29 year olds will have to meet and maintain the same standards any similarly-aged recruit will.

Since I decided to join as DEO at 24, I've had plenty of feedback.
Most of it lousy.
You have to make up your own mind, because you are the only one who can make your military career work.
Just decide, and do it.

Knew a guy who joined at 44 and had to keep up with 19 year olds.  It is all a matter of attitude not age.

Back