• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

About Damn Time....

Firebone

Inactive
Reaction score
hey everybody,
just thought id post my recruiting story along with everyone else's.
It officially started about a year ago here in victoria. and by "officially" i mean that i finally got my 30 year old ass down to the rc and filled out the forms.
i had gotten loads of help and useful info on all the trades i was interested in, and i didnt feel i was being fed any horse s**t from the recruiting personnel (well...maybe a little). i ended up getting great contacts and even made some appointments to tour one of the bases to see what the trade might be like, blah, blah, blah.
lucky for me, my cfat and medical all came up pretty quick, i passed the medical no problems, and i scored very well on my cfat.
my next step was to meet with a career counselor. all good. i was able to book my "interview" in a timely manner.
the interview went very well, the captain i was dealing with was a super nice guy and was able to answer everything i had come to mind. we went through all the usual stuff and he said that the canadian forces would be more than happy to have me on board....................

if i remove my neck tattoos.

whammy.

so i was like "ha ha ha. serious?"
"yes" he says
i informed him that it wasnt that easy or cheap and told him it would cost close to $10,000 to get em removed via laser treatment.
and that im already taking almost a 50% pay cut to join, and i dont need another bill.
"well, those are the rules. they have to be gone before enrollment."
so i left furious and depressed as hell.
and of course moms words of wisdom about not being able to get a job with those neck tattoos came flooding back.
so, pissed off at the system, and having everything ive been preparing myself mentally for come falling down, and realizing i was gonna be stuck at this job for god knows how long, i also had to endure all my family and friends tell me how they never really wanted me to join in the first place and it was some "divine" intervention blah blah blah.

flash forward to december 07.
working on a crappy, rainy, west coast winter day, my phone rings, and its the captain down at the rc.

"hey! just wondering if you had decided to do anything with those neck tattoos of yours?"
"no sir. and, in all honesty, i dont intend to."
"yeah,i didnt think you would, and thats ok, because ottawa has decided to re-activate your file!"
Hell Yeah!!
so, i just had my final visit to the rc today to do my fitness test and i passed with no problems.
its all good from here. i thanked my career counselor for his help and now im waiting to be sworn in as a reserve MP.
i cant wait. Its been a long time comin!
Cheers everyone, thanks for reading,
see ya around!

yeah I got the whole tattoo run down too, just because it shows out of my t-shirt sleeve, luckily the recruiter told me as long as its not contriversal I am golding.  Good luck buddy with everything

Back