• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2nd Anti-tank, WWII

army

Inactive
Reaction score
2nd Anti-tank, WWII

Posted by Ketti Plant from Calgary AB Canada on May 12, 1999 at 12:54:43:

Why is it that there is so much info about the 1st Cdn Div. and so little about the 2nd? My grandfather was a Bombadier with 2nd Anti-tank, and I am having a tough time finding out where this division served during WWII. Any help out there?

Re: 2nd Anti-tank, WWII

Posted by Michael A. Dorosh from Calgary AB Canada on May 12, 1999 at 13:11:20:

In Reply to: 2nd Anti-tank, WWII posted by Ketti Plant on May 12, 1999 at 12:54:43:

I‘m a fellow Calgarian. Check out my website the link is below for some info on the Second Division. There are also links on my links page that will get you to some other sites that will be useful.

If you are in Calgary, why not go to the U of C‘s Mackimmie Library and look for C.P. Stacey‘s books on WWII. Also, the U of C library has regimental histories for the Royal Regiment of Canada, Calgary Highlanders, Black Watch, and several other 2nd Division units. There is plenty of info out there, you just have to look for it.

If you need any help or have any specific questions, let me know.

Also, D. Falconer‘s book on "Artillery Flashes" I‘m at work and can‘t remember the exact title is an excellent sketch history of all the arty units in WWII

CANUCK

Posted by CDJM Return Fire from an ex-peacetime Gunner officer from Canada on May 12, 1999 at 19:49:57:

In Reply to: 2nd Anti-tank, WWII posted by Ketti Plant on May 12, 1999 at 12:54:43:

According to The Gunners of Canda Vol II by Col GWL
Nicholson, CD:
2nd Anti-Tk Regt left Halifax during last week of
Aug 1943 and landed at Greenoch and Gouroch, in the
Clyde. "On 21 July 1944 at St. Andre‘-sur-Orne, 2nd
Anti-Tk Regt would suffer casualties of an
officer and five other ranks killed, and another
officer and fifteen more men wounded but against
this could be set an achievement of knocking out seven enemy tanks and no less than four awards for bravery."
They went on to take part in Operation Spring 25 Jul
1944 around May-sur-Orne, Operation Totalize 7-10 Aug
1944 and The Battle of the Schedldt around 17 Oct

Posted by CDJM from Canada on May 12, 1999 at 19:52:53:

In Reply to: Re: 2nd Anti-tank, WWII posted by CDJM on May 12, 1999 at 19:49:57:

Sorry I guess despite being a Canadian I didn‘t spell
Canada correctly, I guess my hands are faster than
my eyes. Misfire, Out

CDJM

Posted by CDJM from Canada on May 12, 1999 at 22:30:48:

In Reply to: Re: 2nd Anti-tank, WWII posted by CDJM on May 12, 1999 at 19:52:53:

Sorry about the misquote on Nicholson
and the 1940 arrival date of the 2nd AT Regt.
As well as misspelling Scheldt rookie mistakes.
CDJM

Back