• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 Canadian Citizens Kidnapped in Iraq

• Thread starter Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date Start date
C

cameron_highlander

Just got this over the 'net.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051127/iraq_humanitarianworkers_abducted_20051127/20051127?hub=TopStories

Hope they don't end up on ogrish.com  :-\

2332Piper said:
Just got this over the 'net.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051127/iraq_humanitarianworkers_abducted_20051127/20051127?hub=TopStories

Well that sucks, hope they can get back to Canada safely.

I heard about this on cbc radio on the way home... not anything unfamiliar to iraq, but it had a different feeling to it when they said they are canadian hostages

Skimp out on security? Security of what, our Canadian contingent in Iraq? Canadian government has no presence there and has been strongly urging travellers for 1 year and a half not to go there. We have no records of any Canadians in Iraq currently because when they go there they are not telling us so.

It's tragic and I hope they escape without harm, but the Canadian government is in no way at fault here.

BKells -- We have a consulate in Iraq (I believe Big Red can confirm this).

NGO's in Iraq typically pay for PSC's/Risk Management Companies to protect them (again I "think" Big Red can confirm this).  He is pointing to this fact, that the current area is a disaster area for civilians - and even the best intention ones NEED security -- the gov't does not provide it - so one HAS to hire a Private Security Company to provide a: (class answer) Private Security Detail.

I would recomend to those (BKells etc.) who have no knowledge fo NGO operations in areas like this that you simply offer comments of hope to the individuals.

BKells said:
Skimp out on security? Security of what, our Canadian contingent in Iraq? Canadian government has no presence there and has been strongly urging travellers for 1 year and a half not to go there. We have no records of any Canadians in Iraq currently because when they go there they are not telling us so.

It's tragic and I hope they escape without harm, but the Canadian government is in no way at fault here.

Are you smoking drugs?   Read my post and your response. I didn't mention any government.  

Some aid workers are idealistic enough to think that they can go play Mother Teresa in warzones without hiring security.   Talk about easy pickings for insurgents.

Okay -- so we have Kevin's polite method and Big Red's Direct Reality approach  ;D

Well I could have said a lot of things to him based upon him misunderstanding/being totally clueless on Big Red's post.

However none of it would have cleared the issue up, and likely there where two or twenty others who had looked at it and where also unaware of how things are done in countries that assholes who like to cut heads off with a dull knife run around looking for westerners or if they can't find one of those a fellow countryman to kill or otherwise mutilate.

Yet there does seem to be a thriving criminal enterprise popping up in Iraq (and to a lesser entent Afghan) of ransom for hostage.  it seems they have seen how well the enterprise has worked for out of work Death Squads or Narco terrorists in Central and South America.

Unfortunately I would not bet against you Tom...

Moral -- alway be armed

Big Red said:
Some aid workers are idealistic enough to think that they can go play Mother Teresa in warzones without hiring security.   Talk about easy pickings for insurgents.

That's for sure - remember Margaret Hassan who figured that her reputation as a "Mother Teresa" let her live amongst the Iraqis, bringing them aid and comfort?   They found her mutilated remains in a bag alongside a road.

Looking at who the enemy is easily supports the conclusion that these are fanatical, dedicated and ruthless people.   They don't give a shit who you are - they'll cut your throat to serve their ends.   That should be "consideration numero uno" for anyone working in Iraq (or a whack of other places around the world - look up the book "The World's Most Dangerous Places" by Robert Pelton.)   Listen to guys like Big Red and Kev who will deal with these guys day in and day out.   :salute:

KevinB said:
Moral -- always be armed

+1

KevinB said:
BKells -- We have a consulate in Iraq (I believe Big Red can confirm this).

Actually it's an embassy.  The ambassador was just here last week visiting our client.  But he moonlights as the Ambassador to Jordan too, so he's a busy guy

I dotn want to quibble with you teddy, but I understood he was the Embassador to Jordan and had the Iraq "desk" as it where until the Cdn Embassy was fully built and staffed (  ;) circa April 2006)

These fine fellows seem to be antiwar activists that may have gotten a rude awakening.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/135746.php

Hmm - Thanks for shedding the light on that one -- all I have been hearing here is they where NGO's...

I feel badly for them -- but in my head I keep hearing this voice saying, the gene pool in chlorinating...

[hijack]

<a href=http://meteorbooks.com/>Mother Teresa was a pretty unsavoury character behind the PR campaign.</a>

I have friends who refer to her with all seriousness as one of the most evil women of our century.

{/hijack}

These fine fellows seem to be antiwar activists that may have gotten a rude awakening.

Global reported tonight that they're connected with a Christian "peace" organization, but didn't provide details at the request of Foreign Affairs...

Back